Neutering the older female cat

Old November 26th 03, 12:04 AM
Lipgor

Default Neutering the older female cat

Hello everyone,

I am torn about the decision to neuter my 7-year old cat. I think that
it might be beneficial for her in the long run, but I am really scared
about possible complications and not sure if I have the moral right to
do it to her.
I paid $90 for her blood test, and vet told me she was perfectly
healthy. Now vet told me that the operation would cost between $150
and $190, and everything would be just fine.

Did anyone had the similar experience neutering the older female cat?
Thank you
Old November 26th 03, 12:41 AM
Sharon Talbert

First thing I would do is check with another vet or two and compare
prices. Don't opt for cut-rate (so to speak), but surely you could find a
better price.

I would opt to spay, if only to possibly head off breast cancer and give
her relief from estrus and pushy toms and kittens and all that. The gas
anesthesia used these days is much safer and less traumatic than the old
injectible stuff; downright elderly cats are knocked out the treated for
dental problems every day, and they do fine. Seven is mature but not
elderly. She has plenty of miles on her, with more to go if she is taken
out of the brutal breeding cycle.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.compuscats.org

Old November 26th 03, 03:16 AM
Kalyahna

"Lipgor" wrote in message
om...
Hello everyone,

I am torn about the decision to neuter my 7-year old cat. I think that
it might be beneficial for her in the long run, but I am really scared
about possible complications and not sure if I have the moral right to
do it to her.
I paid $90 for her blood test, and vet told me she was perfectly
healthy. Now vet told me that the operation would cost between $150
and $190, and everything would be just fine.

Did anyone had the similar experience neutering the older female cat?
Thank you

Most humane societies around the States spay and neuter all animals placed
for adoption. This includes the older animals, and we've certained spayed
(neutering is for males) cats older than seven years (which is pretty much
middle age, not really OLD). Spaying and neutering has been done for years
with very little complication, but if you're that worried about potential
complications, you can ask at alt.med.veterinary for advice from real vets.
However, if your vet's already done the blood work to be sure, your kitty
should be perfectly fine. If you're concerned about the fee for spaying?
Contact your local humane society or animal shelter. Some places offer low
income assistance programs for spaying or neutering.