Question on cooked chicken diet for cats with allergic skin conditions

Old November 15th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Default Question on cooked chicken diet for cats with allergic skin conditions

I know it sounds overwhelming to think about, but if you cook in batches,
it's not too bad. I have a dog who eats only baked chicken and white rice.
We cook for her 2-3 times a week and it's pretty simple, especially once
you get into the routine. I buy frozen boneless, skinless plain chicken
breasts, cover them in water and bake. Then I use the water from the pan
I baked the chicken in to prepare the rice (adding what I need from the
tap). She LOVES her homecooked meals.

That might be okay for a dog, but a cat needs much more calcium. Added
bone from whatever source would be essential.

Old November 15th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lynne

on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:04:03 GMT, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

That might be okay for a dog, but a cat needs much more calcium. Added
bone from whatever source would be essential.

I wasn't recommending the same diet for a cat. Just illustrating that it's
do-able to prepare food for any pet.

I agree that chicken and rice wouldn't work for a cat. Can a cat eat raw
chicken with bones safely? If so, that might be even simpler. Obviously
cooked bones are out of the question.

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our lives
with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb
Old November 15th 06, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

I agree that chicken and rice wouldn't work for a cat. Can a cat eat raw
chicken with bones safely? If so, that might be even simpler. Obviously
cooked bones are out of the question.

I've thought about that; the problem is that chickens are much larger
than the prey cats evolved to deal with, so they wouldn't even try to
eat the bones. Some sort of really powerful blender ought to do the
trick, that's what the catfood manufacturers use.

Bones are obviously something cats really, really like. The one time
you could be sure Ishmael would pull rank as Boss Cat was when there
was a big warm bone to chew on. Macho "keep off!" growls that would
do credit to a puma.

Old November 15th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lynne

on Wed, 15 Nov 2006 23:39:01 GMT, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:

I've thought about that; the problem is that chickens are much larger
than the prey cats evolved to deal with, so they wouldn't even try to
eat the bones. Some sort of really powerful blender ought to do the
trick, that's what the catfood manufacturers use.

I'll bet a good food processor with a steel blade would do the trick. Add
some chunks of raw chicken to the mash and I imagine a kitty would be in
heaven!

Bones are obviously something cats really, really like. The one time
you could be sure Ishmael would pull rank as Boss Cat was when there
was a big warm bone to chew on. Macho "keep off!" growls that would
do credit to a puma.

I'm always so amused when my little kitties emit those kind of growls!

Old November 16th 06, 12:26 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phil P.

wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in

wrote in message

I was thinking of giving her this in addition to Dermcaps from Drs.
Foster and Smith. It's a vitamin supplement that's high in Omega
oils, which are supposed to heal the skin for cats with allergic
conditions.

If you're trying to treat allergic skin conditions, DermCaps are
probably the worst thing to use. DermCaps are very high in omega-6
fatty acids-- omega-6s are *pro*inflammatory-- which is probably why
prednisolone seemed to stop working.

You might want to try 3V Caps HP liquid - its made by the same company
(DVM Pharmaceuticals).

http://dvmpharmaceuticals.com/3VHPdetailsheet.pdf

3V Caps are very high in omega-3 fatty acids-- which are
anti-inflammatory.
Omega-3s and omega-6s compete for the same enzymes that omega-6s need
to generate an allergic reaction. So, increasing tissue concentrations
of omega-3s reduces the inflammatory responses.

Phil

Thanks for the info. I haven't given her Dermcaps or any vitamin
supplements yet. The Prednisolone stopped working on its own.

Phil - Can you mix this liquid with her food as I find it hard to
administer the meds orally?

3V Caps HP liquid has a very fishy taste- many cats will lick it up
straight. I squirt it on a ceramic tea bag holder- my cats laps it right
up. If you mix it in the food, use a small amount of food so she'll get the
whole dose.

Liquids are easy to give to cats. If you use 3V Caps HP, she'll only need
..75 to1 ml. The tip of a 1 ml oral syringe fits in the gap between her
canines and carnassials without having to open her mouth.

What's your opinion of a cooked chicken
diet? I've heard that some holistic vets recomment raw chicken, but I've
never heard of them adding taurine to the preparation.

I don't recommend homemade diets for cats unless you know what you're doing.

More importantly, have you seen any cat that's been cured of this
granuloma (or allergic problem which causes them to excessively lick the
hind legs which causes wounds)?

If it looks something like this-
http://maxshouse.com/Dermatology-Ill...dermatitis.jpg Yes--

If it looks something like this-
http://maxshouse.com/Dermatology-Ill...al_abdomen.jpg
No- only managed with steroids and/or immunosupressive drugs.

Does anyone know of good cat sites that describe alternate diets? I'm
going to do some searching. Perhaps Catster or some other site has a
link.

Try Hill's Prescription z/d Ultra Allergen Free Feline.

Good luck,

Phil

Old November 16th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Phil P.

wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in

You might want to try 3V Caps HP liquid - its made by the same company
(DVM Pharmaceuticals).

http://dvmpharmaceuticals.com/3VHPdetailsheet.pdf

I see it here.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...d=3447&N=2002+
113617

It says that the capsule can be punctured and spread over the cat's food.
The question is whether they'll still eat it!

That's the old formula- it requires a large dose.

Look for 3V Caps *HP* liquid. Its really good stuff-- not only for the skin
but for the kidneys as well.

Phil

Old November 16th 06, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
I agree that chicken and rice wouldn't work for a cat. Can a cat eat raw
chicken with bones safely? If so, that might be even simpler. Obviously
cooked bones are out of the question.

I've thought about that; the problem is that chickens are much larger
than the prey cats evolved to deal with, so they wouldn't even try to
eat the bones. Some sort of really powerful blender ought to do the
trick, that's what the catfood manufacturers use.

Bones are obviously something cats really, really like. The one time
you could be sure Ishmael would pull rank as Boss Cat was when there
was a big warm bone to chew on. Macho "keep off!" growls that would
do credit to a puma.

I'd be careful with blending bones though; even uncooked chicken bones can
be very sharp when ground up, and will get stuck in a cat's mouth, throat or
gut and may cause severe health problems. We've had to outlaw even chicken
necks after a few nasty incidents. If you really want to home cook your
food, as Phil said, don't do it unless you know what you're doing.
Improperly stored food can cause gastro, and some pet meats, if not prepared
correctly by the manufacturer, can carry parasites. If you are serious about
it and don't mind putting the work in, talk to your vet, and don't even
think about home cooking unless you are adding a proper cat vitamin
supplement to the mix, as a 'just in case' measure. This should give the
calcium as well; check it with your vet. Good luck!!

Old November 16th 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

I've thought about that; the problem is that chickens are much larger
than the prey cats evolved to deal with, so they wouldn't even try to
eat the bones. Some sort of really powerful blender ought to do the
trick, that's what the catfood manufacturers use.

My cats sometimes eat chicken wings, bones and all. My niece knows a
breeder who feeds her cats only chicken wings, and they thrive on that.
Of course, it's not to be recommended in areas where salmonella is
commonly found in chicken. Though I've also heard the theory that cats'
metabolisms are so fast that salmonella doesn't have time to 'take.'

Old November 16th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
I agree that chicken and rice wouldn't work for a cat. Can a cat eat raw
chicken with bones safely? If so, that might be even simpler. Obviously
cooked bones are out of the question.

I've thought about that; the problem is that chickens are much larger
than the prey cats evolved to deal with, so they wouldn't even try to
eat the bones. Some sort of really powerful blender ought to do the
trick, that's what the catfood manufacturers use.

Bones are obviously something cats really, really like. The one time
you could be sure Ishmael would pull rank as Boss Cat was when there
was a big warm bone to chew on. Macho "keep off!" growls that would
do credit to a puma.

That brings back a very old memory of the first time we saw our Sam. We had
only been in Alaska for a few months, and were looking for a Siamese kitten.
When we arrived at the house to check the litter out, eight tiny little
Siamese kittens were ranged along a caribou leg bone in the family garage.
Gnawing their little hearts out and growling like the fierce wild animals
they thought they were.

Jo