Ding Dong!

Old August 26th 08, 01:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Ding Dong!

There isn't a doorbell at my apartment back home. But Mom's house has one.
And naturally it's rung a few times since Persia has been in residence.

She has a strange reaction to people coming to the door. She doesn't like
strangers and hides when they come over. Yet if someone knocks she runs to
the door, as if it might just be someone come to call just for her. There's
still that curiousity factor Someone might be going door to door
delivering cat treats, you never know! And it's the same reaction now if
the doorbell rings.

When I head towards the door she runs away. Well, she at least stands way
back... she knows what happened the last time she dashed out the door.
There are big scary bad things on the OUT!

Yesterday afternoon there came the sound: Ding! Dong! Persia dashed towards
the door. I glanced at the TV, looked and Mom and laughed. Persia looked
at me from the entry hall as if to ask, "What's so funny?" The sound came
again: Ding! Dong! She decided she'd better go hide under the bed.

The doorbell sound, of course, was on the television. I think it was a
commercial for pizza. I was too busy laughing to be sure.

Jill

Old August 26th 08, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I grew up with a d-thing that barked at the door in response to a doorbell
on television. :-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 26th 08, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Aww, that' s so cute.

Dante is weird about those things. He's not afraid of people, but the sound
of the doorbell sends him heading for the hills. Stinky still heads
straight for the door, if at a slightly more sedate pace than he used to.
On Halloween nights, when the doorbell rings frequently, he just parks
himself by the door so he doesn't have to keep running back and forth.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old August 26th 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I hate doorbells on TV. So does Charlie. About once a week they
cause one of us to answer the door.

The other night it meant Charlie getting up out of bed, but damn it
sounded like our doorbell.

Especially if you don't hear well and are half asleep and not really
paying attention to the TV
Jo

Old August 26th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Jofirey wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
The doorbell sound, of course, was on the television. I think it
was a commercial for pizza. I was too busy laughing to be sure.

Jill

I hate doorbells on TV. So does Charlie. About once a week they
cause one of us to answer the door.

The other night it meant Charlie getting up out of bed, but damn it
sounded like our doorbell.

Especially if you don't hear well and are half asleep and not really
paying attention to the TV
Jo

I hate SIREN sound-effects on the radio! I only ever listen to the radio in
the car. Naturally when I hear a siren I think oh, I need to pull to the
side of the road. I'm looking all over for flashing lights to figure out
where the emergency vehicle is coming from. Should be illegal.

Jill

Old August 26th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

I hate doorbells on TV. So does Charlie. About once a week they
cause one of us to answer the door.

The other night it meant Charlie getting up out of bed, but damn it
sounded like our doorbell.

Especially if you don't hear well and are half asleep and not really
paying attention to the TV

Right, so you don't see [DOORBELL RINGING] at the bottom of the screen.

Licky used to run for cover when a doorbell was rung on TV, but I think
he knows the difference now. Plus he can hear a person coming up the
stairs and hear their footsteps at the door, so he knows when it's for
real.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 26th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Especially since TV sound has become stereophonic and so realistic, even
humans can be fooled sometimes, if they're not really paying attention.
More than once I've been in the other room, and headed toward the
front door, thinking the sound on TV was someone outside my apartment.
And I've told you all the story of the time I was watching a PBS special
on feral cats, with one of mine sitting on the chair next to mine. When
the cats on the screen started fighting, a hiss from beside me made me
look over just in time to restrain my Patches from projecting himself at
the screen to join in! (I don't know what was being said by the
combatants in the way of insults, but he most DEFINITELY took exception!)
Old August 26th 08, 10:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I had to change the ringtone on my mother's cell/mobile phone, it was the
Nokia tone but that was on TV so often she got confused. ;-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 27th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 09:35:34 -0400, Kreisleriana wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Cinders has a strange reaction to my arrival at home. As I open the
front door, I usually see her leaving the room, then turning around and
coming back. I suspect the sequence is:

car door shuts "He's home! He's home"rush to the living room

door starts to open"But what if it isn't him? What if it's a
stranger? I had better hide"

she sees who it is"Oh, good. It is him after all."

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from