Purrs for Smokey

Old April 13th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Purrs for Smokey - Update

Sam wrote:
Thanks again for all the purrs. Please keep 'em coming for a bit.

We'll keep purring as long as it takes.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 13th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

We'll keep purring for your spice loving Smokey.
Suz&Spicey

Old April 13th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

If he doesn't like the baby food after a while, I
guess I'll be stopping on the way home for Smokey's dinner.

I can see you in the shop "And a hot one...just a small one...it's for
my cat"

Purrs being sent

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs (who does that at her local Deli when
getting their ham)

Old April 13th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

He's 15. If he wants spicy Popeye's chicken, I say go for it. More purrs for
Smokey that they are wrong. ((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))

"Sam" wrote in message
Many thanks to all who are purring. Please keep them up. The flushing
did not clear the problem, just made it somewhat easier to diagnose

(maybe).

Vet "got a good sample" from the needle biopsy to send for biopsy
analysis. His initial guess is some form of cancer, but he needs the
biopsy results to say what kind. One (lymphoma) responds well to chemo,
one (unknown what type) responds well to surgery, and one (carcinoma) is
"pretty much untreatable other than to keep him comfortable".

We love this vet but this is one time we're praying he's wrong.

Smokey's back home now and doesn't seem to feel poorly. Hasn't urp-ed
since he got home (fingers crossed) and is sleeping lots (normal). Vet
suggested baby food (can you say Gerber?) since it's easy to digest. DW
brought Smokey home then went and picked up a bunch.

More news on Saturday. Hope it's good.

Side note: There's a fried chicken chain (Popeye's) that's just put a
store in our area. Monday night I stopped and picked up some for us to
try. There are two varieties - spicy and mild. DW wants the mild but I
wanted to try the spicy. Smokey went NUTS for it. The mild was OK to
him, but he climbed me twice to get my spicy. Of course he had a few
nibbles (1/4 tsp total) but he was yowling for more. And there were no
"after-effects". If he doesn't like the baby food after a while, I
guess I'll be stopping on the way home for Smokey's dinner.

Thanks again for all the purrs. Please keep 'em coming for a bit.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe

Old April 13th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Purrs for Smokey

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:10:06 -0700, Sam wrote:

Our 16YO Smokey is staying overnight at the vet. He has had a history
of throwing up every so often for a while now. Sometimes a hairball,
sometimes grass, sometimes just because he ate too fast.

He had his "senior physical" with all the blood work in January and was
pronounced OK, but he seems (per the vet) to have early stage kidney
failure. We were told to keep him well hydrated and have been. His
personality (Mr. Grump then Mr. Lovey) hasn't changed since we got him
15 years ago.

Sunday he tossed his cookies. OK. No big deal. But yesterday he threw
up twice. DW got him in to the vet today. Initial observation is that
there seems to be a mass in his intestines. Not sure if it's a tumor or
just full of poop. Tomorrow he gets an enema to rule out the latter
then another physical. If the "mass" remains after the flushing, the
vet will do a needle biopsy to determine just what it is.

We're very worried about the old fellow. He's dropped 1.5 pounds since
his physical in January. He still eats well (loves chicken and pizza
cheese) so we haven't a clue what's going on with him.

Please purr with Missy that Smokey can be put right. I don't think that
he thinks it's "his time" -- he seems to feel too good for that, but
he's got us worried.

Thanks.

Purrs on the way for Smokey and for you.

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.moonsummer.com
Animals in Movies Website)
Old April 13th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Sam" wrote in message

More news on Saturday. Hope it's good.///

5 felines purring up a storm for Smokey here. Good thoughts and prayers
for the human too.

Helen m

Old April 14th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Purrs from one Smokey to another.

--Fil

Old April 14th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Purrs for Smokey - Update 2

The power of purr is AWESOME. The doc called today (a day earlier than
promised) with the cytology results – no cancer noted. HaPpY DaNcInG!
They did note infection, but there did not appear to be any of the
three kinds of cancer we were forewarned about. The doc today said even
though they didn’t see anything in the biopsy, it would be a good idea
to start him on the lowest-level chemo just in case there was a
small-cell lymphoma that didn’t show up in the biopsy. He gets 1 tab of
Prednisolone every 12 hours plus 1 Chlorambucil (that's the low-level
chemo just in case there is small-cell lymphoma not detected in the
biopsy sample) every 3 days.
Whatever it is, we’re guardedly optimistic about the findings.

Thank you everyone for the purrs. They seem to have worked their magic
once again. I never had any doubt.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old April 14th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sam wrote:
The power of purr is AWESOME. The doc called today (a day earlier than
promised) with the cytology results – no cancer noted. HaPpY DaNcInG!
They did note infection, but there did not appear to be any of the
three kinds of cancer we were forewarned about. The doc today said even
though they didn’t see anything in the biopsy, it would be a good idea
to start him on the lowest-level chemo just in case there was a
small-cell lymphoma that didn’t show up in the biopsy. He gets 1 tab of
Prednisolone every 12 hours plus 1 Chlorambucil (that's the low-level
chemo just in case there is small-cell lymphoma not detected in the
biopsy sample) every 3 days.
Whatever it is, we’re guardedly optimistic about the findings.

Thank you everyone for the purrs. They seem to have worked their magic
once again. I never had any doubt.

Wonderful news, Sam! Purrs that Smokey makes complete recovery from the
infection with no form of cancer ever appearing.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi
Old April 14th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sam wrote:
The power of purr is AWESOME. The doc called today (a day earlier than
promised) with the cytology results – no cancer noted. HaPpY DaNcInG!
They did note infection, but there did not appear to be any of the
three kinds of cancer we were forewarned about.

That's wonderful news! Your TED's assessment of the prognosis for a
carcinoma is what I've seen too - pretty much unstoppable. I'm so
glad for Smokey that it's not that!