Responsible Dog Owner (TW)

Old April 21st 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Responsible Dog Owner (TW)

On 2006-04-21, Azy penned:
~I just wish she would stop tapping me on the nose to wake me up!~

OH JILL! Be ever so careful what you wish for! I only Mr. Fleez
were that polite! If I'm not up on time he starts running around
the place like a freaked out maniac, jumping on my bladder, running
over my head, pulling the blankets off the bed, trying to smother
me, and if all that fails, he'll start playing with matches!

You just be grateful you have a polite feline. At least you wake up
giggling instead of blindly watering down the room with a squirt
bottle in hopes of hitting a streak of cat lightning!

Oscar drove me nuts last night. Starting at about 5am she was making
a point of waking me up.

I tried to grab her to put her in the basement, but she thought it was
a game and stayed out of reach.

Tonight the little creature goes in the basement *before* we go to
sleep.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 22nd 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Responsible Dog Owner (TW) LONG

See? You were a responsible pet owner. Those stake things that twist
into
the ground and a lead long enough to let the dog wander around *your*
fenced
yard - no harm done. I doubt if your dog had managed to somehow pull up
the
stake and get loose you'd have been blamed for anything. You took every
precaution and I applaud you for it!
Jill

You mentioned your childhood hospital roommate w/surgery for dog attack and
your curiosity re her present attitude toward dogs....I've already posted re
my
flight as a toddler into parent's farmer friend's barbed-wire fence running
from
friend's Spitz (who was just chasing me, never attacked anyone, including
me,
but they weren't watching us for a moment). To this day I am not terrified
of
any dogs, having many friends w/different breeds that have different
temperaments
but my now RB Akita was the only dog (and he came to me because someone
didn't want him; he had the "bad hip thing" common to Akita breeders) I ever
had any emotional attachment to. I realize dogs think differently than cats
do
(don't we all realize that?) but I really don't like them at all.
Got a story re the "stake-in-ground" thing; I had my Akita on one of these
years ago in front yard of my FL house (huge yard, I'd move the stake every
day)....up came this neighbor woman who was always drunk and walked her
medium-sized very fuzzy chow-type through *all her neighbors front AND
back yards, letting her dog poop wherever he wanted to (I think his name
was "Fluffy"; for a chow he was a wimp) and they both traipsed through my
backyard up to the front....I was on front porch and headed for my Akita to
get ahold of him as I smelled trouble possibility....Akita ripped that stake
right
outa the yard and in a heartbeat had drunk chick pinned down with her left
knee in his jaws, w/o even breaking her skin nor ripping any holes in her
pants! My dog thought they were a threat to ME, as he didn't know them;
that's the kinda dog Akitas are. I did have homeowners' insurance for stuff
like that but after her DH came and dragged her and Fluffy back home
(I had removed my Akita from her knee by then, no leg injuries) nothing ever
happened except she never, ever walked Fluffy through either front nor back
yards of my house. My gay neighbors next door to me, w/whom I was far
friendlier, were in stitches (they themselves owned the
occasionally-escaping
Rotties that I would lead back to their house; they knew me well) and said
she got what she deserved. They were quite anal about their beautiful yard
which was protected from Fluffy & co. by extensive wrought-iron fencing;
as for mine, I didn't care as my yard-care dude was a good pal of
Fluffy's owners, LOL, and he had to deal w/Fluffy's gifts. At that point in
his life, my Akita weighed 135#. Moral: if you stake 'em out, make sure
they aren't strong enough to uproot that stake if P.O.'d by anything!

Old April 22nd 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Akitas are big, strong dogs. My father's akita would probably tear
anything other than a concreted pilon out of the ground. She could
also, in her younger days, easily jump 2 metres (6 ft) from a standing
start, which made fencing her into any yard a difficult thing. She
used to, as a party trick, jump *over* the head of my step-sister, who
is about 5'10".

Tish