OT Tips for those quitting Cigarettes

Old November 5th 03, 10:00 PM
Tanada

Default OT Tips for those quitting Cigarettes

Ok, now that we have at least two or three on the nicotine wagon, we can
all pool our quitting tips, and maybe help out.

When I was quitting, I ate sunflower seeds. In the shell. One at a
time. Used my ashtrays to hold the shells. It kept my hands and my
mouth busy. Kids hated it, but hated the cigarettes more. I still eat
sunflower seeds, but not nearly as much as I used to. I also increased
cross stitching and other needlework. It also kept my hands busy and
occupied my mind.

OK, your Tip?

Pam S.
Old November 5th 03, 10:18 PM
Flippy

When I quitting, my mother told me to eat an apple when the cravings got
bad. Apparently, apples have some kind of quality that reduces the cravings.
It helped me.

Also, it helps to let your doctor know that you are quitting. The first 3
days can become pretty intense, withdrawal symptoms are the worst then. My
doctor gave me a couple of sedatives which helped during those first few
days.

Purrs,
Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
My Cats: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

Old November 5th 03, 11:20 PM
Susan M

Two things helped me:

1. straight pretzels, sometimes held like cigarettes!
2. My roomate made me smoke outside in -20 weather. I was so cold that I
smoked them so fast it made me sick

Good luck - I know you can do it. I read somewhere that cold turkey
quitters had the highest success rate. I've been cig free for 10 years.

Go girl!!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old November 5th 03, 11:20 PM
fuga =^o^=

When I quit I kept a small bottle of water beside me at all times. I've
heard of people also chewing on stir sticks, straws and carrots to help out.

Fuga

Old November 6th 03, 04:41 AM
Marina

"Tanada" wrote
Ok, now that we have at least two or three on the nicotine wagon, we can
all pool our quitting tips, and maybe help out.

Get a stomach bug that has you vomiting for three days. ;o)

--
Marina
Old November 6th 03, 04:57 AM
Hopitus2

As formerly stated, the Lemonheads hard candy, sourballs, chewing on small
harmless objects (like toothpicks). Avoid chocolate. Avoid places where you
would drink (coffee, booze) and smoke. Lotsa luck from the Hopitus.

"Marina" wrote in message
:
: "Tanada" wrote
: Ok, now that we have at least two or three on the nicotine wagon, we can
: all pool our quitting tips, and maybe help out.
:
: Get a stomach bug that has you vomiting for three days. ;o)
:
: --
: Marina

Old November 6th 03, 05:30 AM
Victor Martinez

I chewed gum. A lot of gum.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old November 6th 03, 10:43 AM

Victor Martinez wrote:

I chewed gum. A lot of gum.

Because I gave up caffeine at the same time that I quit smoking, I drank
about 25 cups of herbal tea per day. That's what I directed my addictive
impulses at. And if you can believe it, some idiot (my voice teacher!)
actually told me I shouldn't drink so much of the tea because it was a
stimulant. (This was *peppermint* tea I was drinking!) What a dolt - here
I was, trying to give up two unhealthy and even dangerous habits, and
she's giving me a hard time about herbal tea?? It was the only thing that
was keeping me from going back to them.

I kept drinking the tea, and successfully got off the smokes and coffee,
so there!

Joyce
Old November 6th 03, 07:12 PM
Yoj

wrote in message
Victor Martinez wrote:

I chewed gum. A lot of gum.

Because I gave up caffeine at the same time that I quit smoking, I

drank
about 25 cups of herbal tea per day. That's what I directed my

addictive
impulses at. And if you can believe it, some idiot (my voice teacher!)
actually told me I shouldn't drink so much of the tea because it was a
stimulant. (This was *peppermint* tea I was drinking!) What a dolt -

here
I was, trying to give up two unhealthy and even dangerous habits, and
she's giving me a hard time about herbal tea?? It was the only thing

that
was keeping me from going back to them.

I kept drinking the tea, and successfully got off the smokes and

coffee,
so there!

Joyce

Good for you on all counts! That is amazing that you were able to give
up two unhealthy habits at once! You must be very proud of yourself.
You deserve to be.

Joy

Old November 6th 03, 08:44 PM
polonca12000

Wonderful! I'm so very happy for you.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

wrote in message
snip I kept drinking the tea, and successfully got off the smokes and
coffee,
so there!

Joyce