Health issues of male and female cats

Old January 3rd 11, 02:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
JEP

Default Health issues of male and female cats

I just lost my 14 year old cat Harpo two weeks ago to cancer, three years
after his best buddy Gulliver died of cancer. Two sweet wonderful joyful
critters who are sorely missed. I am about to go to the shelters to start
looking for another kitten or two, and am leaning towards getting male cats
again, because they seem (in my admittedly limited experience) to be more
affectionate than female cats.

I don't mean to open up that can of worms, though. Rather, I am posting to
ask if there are differences between male and female cats in terms of
health and medical issues they are susceptible to.

Any kittens I get will be neutered and will be indoor-only, and I know that
every cat is different. With that in mind, however, are there some
health/medical/behavioral problems (apart from spraying) that males are
more prone to and some that females are more prone to?

Thanks.

JEP

Old January 3rd 11, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"JEP" wrote

critters who are sorely missed. I am about to go to the shelters to start
looking for another kitten or two, and am leaning towards getting male
cats
again, because they seem (in my admittedly limited experience) to be more
affectionate than female cats.

I don't mean to open up that can of worms, though. Rather, I am posting
ask if there are differences between male and female cats in terms of
health and medical issues they are susceptible to.

Hi Jep, the only one I know of is males are more susceptible to urinary
issues.

Also if getting a pair, look for 2 who are sleeping on each other in the
same cage.

Old January 3rd 11, 04:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Sun, 2 Jan 2011 20:14:59 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"JEP" wrote

critters who are sorely missed. I am about to go to the shelters to start
looking for another kitten or two, and am leaning towards getting male
cats
again, because they seem (in my admittedly limited experience) to be more
affectionate than female cats.

I don't mean to open up that can of worms, though. Rather, I am posting
ask if there are differences between male and female cats in terms of
health and medical issues they are susceptible to.

Hi Jep, the only one I know of is males are more susceptible to urinary
issues.

Also if getting a pair, look for 2 who are sleeping on each other in the
same cage.

That's the advice I was going to give. And it always seems best to
take two since they care for each other.
Old January 3rd 11, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

I'm not trying to open a can of worms, but if fed a dry-food-only
diet, males are more likely to have urinary tract issues. This isn't
an issue if they are fed a wet (raw or canned) diet.

Other than that, there are no differences between the two. Yes, a pair
will be better (and more fun). . .and if you see an adult pair in the
same cage, please consider them also. :-)

Rene
Old January 3rd 11, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phyllis Stone

"JEP" wrote in message
.130...

[...]

I am very sorry for your loss. My vet said that girl dogs and boy cats make
the best pets. I have just the opposite and my pets are great. I usually
had boy cats and this was the first girl in a long time. She is different.
She likes hanging around inside and only goes out occasionally. She moved
herself in and became one of the family. She is also much more skittish and
hides when someone comes over.

Old January 4th 11, 03:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 07:56:51 -0800 (PST), Rene
wrote:

I'm not trying to open a can of worms, but if fed a dry-food-only
diet, males are more likely to have urinary tract issues. This isn't
an issue if they are fed a wet (raw or canned) diet.

Other than that, there are no differences between the two. Yes, a pair
will be better (and more fun). . .and if you see an adult pair in the
same cage, please consider them also. :-)

Rene

My cats ate only wet food, except for occasional Temptations, and one
developed a urinary blockage. They really don't know what caused it
though but it sure is more likely with males.

Most of my cats have been male, and of my current four, one is female.
She is very skittish but not as big a wuss as the largest male, who is
a total scaredy-cat. She is very sweet though and often comes to plop
in my lap.
Old January 18th 11, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
chatnoir

wrote:

I'm not trying to open a can of worms, but if fed a dry-food-only
diet, males are more likely to have urinary tract issues. This isn't
an issue if they are fed a wet (raw or canned) diet.

Other than that, there are no differences between the two. Yes, a pair
will be better (and more fun). . .and if you see an adult pair in the
same cage, please consider them also. :-)

Rene

My cats ate only wet food, except for occasional Temptations, and one
developed a urinary blockage. They really don't know what caused it
though but it sure is more likely with males.

Did the blockage reoccur or not? One of my male cats had a blockage.
I switched to just wet food. With your experience, I am not sure that
was really necessary now

Old January 20th 11, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dgk

wrote:

I'm not trying to open a can of worms, but if fed a dry-food-only
diet, males are more likely to have urinary tract issues. This isn't
an issue if they are fed a wet (raw or canned) diet.

Other than that, there are no differences between the two. Yes, a pair
will be better (and more fun). . .and if you see an adult pair in the
same cage, please consider them also. :-)

Rene

My cats ate only wet food, except for occasional Temptations, and one
developed a urinary blockage. They really don't know what caused it
though but it sure is more likely with males.

Did the blockage reoccur or not? One of my male cats had a blockage.
I switched to just wet food. With your experience, I am not sure that
was really necessary now

Hasn't yet and it's been about 18 months. I read that it's much less
likely in cats over seven years old and Espy is now eight so I'm
hopeful that this is over. In fact, I've recently allowed the cats to
eat some "healthy" dry food in addition to the wet. They really like
it so it seems unfair to ban it without a very good reason and they
don't even know why he was blocked in the first place.
Old March 1st 11, 01:02 PM
Dominic Dominic is offline
Junior Member

Hi dude,..
great information shared here about cats Health and diet having,....
useful one,...

thanks,..