Spayed Female & Un-neutered Male... Would it work?

Old January 30th 05, 06:22 PM
John Ross Mc Master

Default Spayed Female & Un-neutered Male... Would it work?

Spayed Female & Un-neutered Male... Would it work?
Or would they fight all the time? Would the male be aggressive? Let me
know if you've ever been in this situation.
Thanks as always!
Old January 30th 05, 06:54 PM
Margaret S.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:22:36 GMT, John Ross Mc Master wrote:

Spayed Female & Un-neutered Male... Would it work?
Or would they fight all the time? Would the male be aggressive?

More likely the spayed female would become aggressive, develop male
behaviors -- which could cause a lot of trouble.

Let me
know if you've ever been in this situation.

It would depend on a lot of things. Are they indoor-only, indoor/outdoor,
outdoor-only? Are they already friendly and/or mating?

Without an intact female in his home, an intact and/or vasectomied male will
have less reason to stay home.

What has worked well in some indoor/outdoor situations, is one or more
females that have been sterilized by "remove the uterus but leave the
ovaries." The females still go in heat and enjoy mating (tho they can't get
pregnant), so the males are scared to leave home for fear of missing some
action. As a neighborhood public service, might consider giving the male
a vasectomy so some neighborood females might skip a litter now and then.

This is a complicated subject. I've gone into much more detail at my
website.

Margaret S.
--
http://www.sangerfan.com Common Pet Questions
Nothing I say is professional advice. Consult your own doctor, lawyer,
Old January 30th 05, 07:16 PM
KellyH

"Margaret S." wrote in message
.. .

What has worked well in some indoor/outdoor situations, is one or more
females that have been sterilized by "remove the uterus but leave the
ovaries." The females still go in heat and enjoy mating (tho they can't
get
pregnant), so the males are scared to leave home for fear of missing some
action. As a neighborhood public service, might consider giving the
male
a vasectomy so some neighborood females might skip a litter now and then.

WTF is wrong with you? Where do you get this half-baked information?

To the OP: Please get the male neutered as well. He will still spray,
roam, fight, all the negative behaviors that go along with an intact male.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old January 30th 05, 07:17 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message
Spayed Female & Un-neutered Male... Would it work?
Or would they fight all the time? Would the male be aggressive? Let me
know if you've ever been in this situation.
Thanks as always!

I *could've* had this situation when I adopted my male cat, & already had
two spayed females. But the male was neutered immediately.

I'd simply get the male neutered.

Cathy

Old January 30th 05, 08:00 PM
Kelly

It would be a bad idea. The male would probably harass the female and try
to mount her. Not to mention he would probably spray urine all over the
house. Not my idea of aromatherapy. Yuck.

Spay and neuter them all.

Kelly

Old January 30th 05, 08:03 PM
Kelly

"Margaret S." wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:22:36 GMT, John Ross Mc Master wrote:

Spayed Female & Un-neutered Male... Would it work?
Or would they fight all the time? Would the male be aggressive?

More likely the spayed female would become aggressive, develop male
behaviors -- which could cause a lot of trouble.

Develop male behaviours? In what sense??

What has worked well in some indoor/outdoor situations, is one or more
females that have been sterilized by "remove the uterus but leave the
ovaries." The females still go in heat and enjoy mating (tho they can't
get
pregnant), so the males are scared to leave home for fear of missing some
action. As a neighborhood public service, might consider giving the
male
a vasectomy so some neighborood females might skip a litter now and then.

Wow how wrong you are. Mating is actually the opposite of enjoyable for
female cats. The male has backward pointing barbs on the penis, so when he
withdrawels after copulation, the barbs scrape against the females vagina.
Very painful, which is why the female generally screams and turns to swat at
the male directly after mating.

What you describe above is not the solution. It will also not stop a male
cat from wandering.

Kelly

Old January 30th 05, 08:15 PM
KellyH

"Margaret S." wrote in message
That's why I specified "some indoor/outdoor situations." An intact or
vasectomied tom, ime, cannot be an indoor-only cat; he needs a good deal
of
time outside to do his spraying and other male stuff.

It is completely irresponsible to allow an intact tom to roam outside.

As I said at my site:
"Sometimes neutering [a tomcat] will prevent or lessen [spraying],
sometimes
not. Vasectomy will NOT lessen it; a vasectomied tom will still behave
like
a full, intact tom."
And:
"Another problem [besides spraying] is that, tho some male dogs can be
satisfied with one mate, and one tom can be enough for a female cat, an
intact or vasectomied tomcat will probably need a harem of at least two or
three intact females or more to keep him happy."

If a vasectomied tom still has all the intact behaviors, why do it? I don't
get it.

Old January 30th 05, 09:46 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Margaret S. at
wrote on 1/30/05 12:47 PM:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 13:16:51 -0500, KellyH wrote:

"Margaret S." wrote in message
.. .

What has worked well in some indoor/outdoor situations, is one or more
females that have been sterilized by "remove the uterus but leave the
ovaries." The females still go in heat and enjoy mating (tho they can't
get
pregnant), so the males are scared to leave home for fear of missing

some
action. As a neighborhood public service, might consider giving the
male
a vasectomy so some neighborood females might skip a litter now and

then.

/snip/

As I said at my site:
"Sometimes neutering [a tomcat] will prevent or lessen [spraying], sometimes
not. Vasectomy will NOT lessen it; a vasectomied tom will still behave like
a full, intact tom."
And:
"Another problem [besides spraying] is that, tho some male dogs can be
satisfied with one mate, and one* tom can be enough for a female cat, an
intact or vasectomied tomcat will probably need a harem of at least two or
three intact females or more to keep him happy."

Margaret S.

I don't know what is up with you and vasectomies. I quite honestly hope no
one is "reading your web page" that you keep going on about. You sound like
a loonie. Why the hell would *anyone* just do a vasectomy on a tom? Cripes.