My cat is licking off big bald spots of fur

Old April 24th 04, 09:37 PM

In , on 04/24/04
at 12:01 AM, none said:

My cat is licking off big bald spots of fur.

He could be allergic to something. Fish, perhaps, if you feed him tuna or
or other fish cat food?

Alan

** Please use address alanh77[at]comccast.net to reply via e-mail. **

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.1

Old April 25th 04, 06:50 AM
minerva nine

Is this new behaviour, or has he always done it? How long has he been doing
it? How old is he? -- M9

"none" wrote in message
My cat is licking off big bald spots of fur.

The spots are on his belly back and front leg.

We have had him to the Vet twice. Full exam with blood tests etc and
we have always given him excellent vet care and food and affection.

No disease or pests of any sort found.

Sometimes he licks so hard it bleeds a little.

We have two other cats that he lives with that seem to be fine.

He sleeps well and eats well and otherwise seems OK.

Any ideas?

Very worried about my old friend "Happy".
Grandpa

Old April 25th 04, 08:25 AM
none

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 00:50:41 -0500, "minerva nine"
wrote:

Is this new behaviour, or has he always done it? How long has he been doing
it? How old is he? -- M9

He has been doing this for about two months and is nine years old.

He lives with two other cats and none of them are ever allowed to run
free. The cats have their own nice warm south facing porch protected
by chicken wire where they can lay in the sun and watch the birds and
stuff. We live in the woods in an isolated rural situation.

The other two cats are Nick 15 years old who is feral. He has never
allowed us to touch him but he will sleep at the foot of our bed and
gets along well with the other cats and us otherwise. He is our only
mouser which is very important to us living as we do out here in the
woods-our place would be over-run with field mice without him.

Little Man is a young stray we brought in a little over a year ago who
seems to have adjusted well to our household. Affectionate and always
knocking things off the desk and tables to get our attention when he
wants something from us. Just a good sound all-around stray barn cat.

Happy we got from my niece when he was about 5 years old when she
could no longer keep him. He is a Siamese. He is a very people-centric
cat who has little interest in the other cats. He sleeps between us in
the bed. He is always the first to notice our leaving the house and
the only one sitting in the window waiting for our return when we come
driving up the driveway. It could be the most beautiful warm day with
the other two cats sitting in the sun out on the porch but happy will
be right next to me on the desk as I work on office stuff. His humans
seem to mean everything to him.

I wish I could do something for him.... I'm thinking of bringing him
into the University Vet school to see what they might have to say. The
local vets are primarily large animal vets for the local farmers and
may not be up on cat behavior problems.

Grandpa

Old April 25th 04, 11:26 PM
minerva nine

Any changes at all in the house, food, schedule, etc. that would coincide
with when he started? When I've seen this it's been either an allergy or a
stress reaction. When allergic, cats get itchy skin rather than runny noses
and watery eyes like we do. Any new plants or new kinds of food he's been
exposed to? Changed laundry detergent recently? Anything new in the house
that he might have rubbed on or eaten? As far as the stress goes, since he
is so attached to you he's going to be extra-sensitive to any changes in
schedule, behaviour, etc. If it's none of these I'd have the vet check him
to make sure nothing organic is wrong -- M9

Old April 26th 04, 03:21 AM
Gee

"none" wrote in message
My cat is licking off big bald spots of fur.

The spots are on his belly back and front leg.

We have had him to the Vet twice. Full exam with blood tests etc and
we have always given him excellent vet care and food and affection.

Any ideas?

Very worried about my old friend "Happy".
Grandpa

Pulling his hair generaly means stress, boredom or habit. Try finding out
what may have happened 2 moths ago when he started this. Since he's
madically OK, he is either still doing it cos of stress or now he's too used
to doing it to stop.

Pls check some of the sites I found on Google search:

http://www.vetinfo.com/cathair.html#...ng%20out%20fur
http://www.vetinfo.com/catfur.html
http://or.essortment.com/atopydiseaseca_rnsc.htm
http://medicinegarden.com/Pets/CatPullingHair.html