Defective Wellness

Old May 21st 04, 05:12 PM
MIKE

Default Defective Wellness

I feed Tiger and Amber Wellness canned food. It has been my practice to
feed the chicken in the morning and turkey at supper time. After
opening the last case of turkey, Amber refused to eat it. I noticed
also that it had a different texture. Tiger ate it but didn't seem very
enthusiastic about it. The store took back the unused cans so I will
just feed the chicken for the time being. I called Wellness and they
said they had not changed the formula but because of high demand, they
were having some of the food processed at another facility.

-MIKE

Old May 21st 04, 11:24 PM
Cheryl

(MIKE) dumped this in
on 21 May 2004:

I feed Tiger and Amber Wellness canned food. It has been my practice
to feed the chicken in the morning and turkey at supper time. After
opening the last case of turkey, Amber refused to eat it. I noticed
also that it had a different texture. Tiger ate it but didn't seem
very enthusiastic about it. The store took back the unused cans so I
will just feed the chicken for the time being. I called Wellness and
they said they had not changed the formula but because of high demand,
they were having some of the food processed at another facility.

-MIKE

Several months ago there was discussion in another forum about Wellness
canned and what had happened to it. One of the flavors had apparently
been modified; rice was added to make the consistancy less runny. There
was a lot of uproar in the IBD yahoo group because many had depended on
Wellness canned to be grain-free, and some had cats who were so sick
that Wellness was all they would eat until the change in formulation,
and now had cats who wouldn't eat anything at all. Well, to make a long
story short, there was a petition drawn up, many called the company,
emailed, etc. A representative from Wellness said that the formula
shouldn't have been distributed since it was in beta, or something, and
that they weren't changing the formula, but some palets (must have been
a whole hellava lot from the complaints!) that had a lot number with
GWxxxxxx rather than just a Wxxxx or Gxxxx (I can't remember the exact
details) were from the lot not meant to be distributed. You can contact
them and they'll explain it all to you.

--
Cheryl

Old May 22nd 04, 01:14 AM
MIKE

I checked one of the cans of turkey and it did have a lot number that
started with GW. What worries me is that I have two uncracked cases of
chicken that also have lot numbers starting with GW. I will try one of
these cans tomorrow and see if Amber will eat it. If there is a
problem, I will be on the phone with Wellness first thing Monday
morning. I use about 730 cans a year and I would think they would want
to keep me (and Amber) happy,

-MIKE

Old May 22nd 04, 02:15 PM
MIKE

This morning I opened a can of chicken from a new case (lot number
GW---). The texture was similar to the rejected turkey but Amber (and
Tiger) ate it with no problem. I'll try it again tonight but it looks
like the chicken will be OK. I'll still call Wellness on Monday.

-MIKE