[OT] [PW] [Long] America Bashing

Old December 27th 04, 04:57 AM
Sherry

But I know a lot of people from a variety of countries, and I do have
the feeling that Americans tend to react more to criticism, whether
implied or outspoken, whether mild or not.

I believe there are such things as national characteristics.

David, speaking strictly newsgroup chat, Americans *receive* more criticism
than any other country. Not just on this groups, but others. I was pretty naive
when I first started posting a few years ago, and was really taken aback by
that. I reacted badly at first, but soon learned to take it in stride and
ignore most of it. It was still a surprise, though.
I'm talking about statements like Americans are fat, lazy, and don't know how
to speak proper English. Stuff like that.

Sherry
Sherry
Old December 27th 04, 06:21 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:

David Stevenson wrote:

So, while the USA has a lot going for it, it also has some problems in
its attitude. I do not think people should seriously criticise the USA,
but I do also think that Americans should accept mild criticism in the
same way as others do, and realise that other countries have done and
still do a lot for everyone else.

Exactly! And right now, IMO, there's a lot more to be
self-critical ABOUT! Especially the loss of much of our
much vaunted "freedom of the press", due to most of the
media being owned by, therefore owing allegiance to,
corporate America (not to the American people's "right to
know"). The press of other nations is not totally unbiased,
either - but much of the actual NEWS one finds in foreign
news sources never hits our "nightly news", nor even our
newspapers. (Thank GOD for the internet!)

Again, if such repression of news and facts were really the case, how would
you know about it to protest it???

Ummm.... "Thank God for the internet"?

Also, if our country was as politically repressive as you claim you would be
sitting in a dark cell somewhere or killed for the things you've expressed
here!

I suspect it's only a matter of time - but I refuse to let
fear silence me. (Nazi Germany's "repression" was a gradual
process, too - even for its Jews.)

The simple fact that you *can* say the things you're saying *WITHOUT
FEAR OF REPERCUSSION* is a testament to the freedoms we continue to have.

Who SAID I don't "fear" repercussion? I'm just old enough
so I'd rather say what I think and "damn the torpedos" than
live the balance of my life in an American "Third Reich"
environment.

Old December 27th 04, 07:37 AM
Krista

GraceCat wrote:

(snippage)

What has upset me about the political debates here and there and

everywhere
else is that I've had friends tell me they cannot "in good faith"

tolerate a
Bush supporter. That every single person that voted for Bush "needed

to be
shot", that they couldn't be friends or even carry on conversations

with
people that voted for him. I mourned these people because they're
disregarding several million individuals that are smart and witty and

caring
and loving. It was a decision these people made, it may not have been

the
best decision, it may have been a vote between bad and worse. Respect

was
lost by me for several people. Disagree with my ideas, disapprove of

my
decisions but I would like to think you know me well enough to still

remain
a friend. Unfortunately many in this country didn't agree.

Grace

The reason for this is because many people consider Bush to have
damaged our country. If you consider voting for him to be an act
calculated to damage the country you love, that precludes your
considering a person who voted for him to be smart, witty, caring, or
loving. You would consider such a person to have commited a
destructive act against your country.

------
Krista

Old December 27th 04, 08:00 AM
Yoj

"David Stevenson" wrote in message

If you want people not to criticise Americans one method is to stop
some of the unfortunate critical remarks made by Americans. Terrorism,
for example, is a global problem. Sure the US is now fighting it
whole-heartedly, but so are many other nations.

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK Emails welcome

One of the things Americans are justly proud of is our freedom of speech.
That means that we have no right to stop remarks, critical or otherwise, by
other Americans. One could just as well say if you want Americans not to
criticize the British, you should stop them from making critical remarks.

I don't believe in condemning a whole nationality for the remarks or actions
of some of its members.

Joy

Old December 27th 04, 01:02 PM
Debbie Wilson

jmcquown wrote:

The roast was perfect; nice and juicy. I will be able to gently reheat
slices of this to eat for a couple of days. Accompanied by my favourite and
that often bashed vegetable, Brussels Sprouts.

My Mum did something very nice to go with our Christmas lunch which I'd
never had befo sprouts with roasted chestnuts. Mmmmm. The sprouts and
chestnuts had slightly softened and were mixed together in the cooking
and it made a delicious alternative to sprouts on their own.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old December 27th 04, 03:19 PM
jmcquown

Debbie Wilson wrote:
jmcquown wrote:

Accompanied by
my favourite and that often bashed vegetable, Brussels Sprouts.

My Mum did something very nice to go with our Christmas lunch which
I'd
never had befo sprouts with roasted chestnuts. Mmmmm. The sprouts
and chestnuts had slightly softened and were mixed together in the
cooking
and it made a delicious alternative to sprouts on their own.

Deb.

Now that sounds delicious! Unfortunately, it is nearly impossible for me to
find chestnuts (roasted or ones in the shell I'd have to roast myself). I
gather they are more commonly available in the New England states.

Jill

Old December 27th 04, 04:21 PM
jmcquown

Sherry wrote:
Last night I roasted a very nice pork tenderloin. It was nearly 2
lbs. in weight rather than the usual smaller 1/2 pound hunk of pork.
I brushed it with olive oil, slathered it generously with minced
garlic,

That sounds great, Jill. Pork loin is actually on the heart-healthy
diet. I eat so much chicken now I swear sometimes I'm going to lay an
egg.Your post made me want to try that recipe.

Sherry

Yeah, I have a friend who is low-carbing and the sheer amount of chicken
he's eating is utterly beyond my comprehension! Another good seasoning for
pork (tenderloin or lean chops) is a sprinkling of dried crushed rosemary.
Of course keep the garlic and the olive oil, a little pepper. I don't add
much salt when I'm cooking but a light sprinkling is okay.

Jill

Old December 27th 04, 04:23 PM
bonbon

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 14:58:29 -0800, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:

bonbon wrote:

I'm proud to be American.

I WAS, until our moronic majority actually ELECTED the
current idiot to the White House for a second term!

I disagree. I'm of the opinion that he and his party cheated again.

-bonbon
Old December 27th 04, 04:24 PM
bonbon

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 19:45:30 -0600, "GraceCat"

bonbon wrote:

I'm proud to be American.

I WAS, until our moronic majority actually ELECTED the
current idiot to the White House for a second term! What's
to be "proud of", now? Does the loss of the Bill of Rights
mean NOTHING to you?

I haven't had to give up my pistol. And I doubt I will the next four years,
George is/was a member of the NRA.

I haven't been arrested for suggesting our president is moronic at times.

I haved had a soldier knocking on my door announcing that my home has been
seized.

I haven't had to sit at the back of the bus.

I haven't had to endure a trial and possible hanging because I'm pagan.

snip

Thank You Grace.

-bonbon

Grace

Old December 27th 04, 04:29 PM
bonbon

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004 14:33:37 +0000 (UTC), Cheryl Perkins
wrote:

Krista wrote:

The reason for this is because many people consider Bush to have
damaged our country. If you consider voting for him to be an act
calculated to damage the country you love, that precludes your
considering a person who voted for him to be smart, witty, caring, or
loving. You would consider such a person to have commited a
destructive act against your country.

Only if you did not support your own political system, since any
democratic system must include the possibility (or certainty!) that
sometimes the group that wins is believed by its opponents to be not
merely a less good choice, but to be a completely wrong one.

It's obvious to this outsider, and by what I read, to many Americans, that
American society is not only profoundly divided, it is very nearly divided
in half. That means neither side can really dismiss the other as a small
bunch of unimportant kooks, and I think that inflames the rhetoric
enormously.

I also think it would be a mistake to channel political opinions into a
black and white, all and none attack on those who hold them. It doesn't
help to insult your friends and relatives who voted on the other side by
calling into question their intelligence and morality. It's much better to
channel your energy into work for the political party of your choice
instead.

I think the US voters made a big mistake in their choice of leader, but
it's their choice, not mine. And I am sure that President Bush's
supporters believe they made the right choice. Only time will tell who is
right, and exchanging insults will neither make the final assessment of
his record come faster nor make daily life any easier.

I hope this is not taken as US-bashing. Since the US is the most powerful
and influential country in the world, everything it (ie its government)
says and does is of enormous interest and importance to everyone else.
Sometimes these comments are negative. That's just the way things work.
When a country as powerful as the US takes an action, any action, it will
have both supporters and detractors, depending on how that action
influences, or may be expected to influence, others. About the only
reaction the US won't get is indifference.

Well said Cheryl.

-bonbon