OT who is already cooking for tomorrow

Old November 23rd 05, 06:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default OT who is already cooking for tomorrow

The fires are a blazing 16 hours to go before the food goes on and we run
out to the Thanksgiving sales.

Old November 23rd 05, 06:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2005-11-23, No More Retail penned:
The fires are a blazing 16 hours to go before the food goes on
and we run out to the Thanksgiving sales.

Not I, but I'm picking up a fresh turkey from Whole Foods tonight.

DH's parents are in town, and I think we're all in agreement that
we're best off if my MIL orchestrates the whole event while we kids
follow directions.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old November 23rd 05, 07:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

The fires are a blazing 16 hours to go before the food goes on
and we run out to the Thanksgiving sales.

Not I, but I'm picking up a fresh turkey from Whole Foods tonight.

One year, when I was a teenager, my father bought a live turkey
right after Thanksgiving. He told the farmer to just keep it
until nearly Christmas. Two days before, the farmer called my
dad and said, 'Uh...how big is your oven, anyway?'

The turkey had grown to 35 pounds!!

My mother roasted that baby for most of the night, and we had all
of the fixings. Fortunately, the family at the time consisted of
one adolescent boy and *four* teenagers, a hungry hoard at best,
so we managed to polish off the turkey and all leftovers in a week.
It was the juiciest, best-tasting turkey I ever remember, too.

It'll never happen again. Just one of those one-in-a-million things.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita

Old November 23rd 05, 07:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"No More Retail" wrote in message
. ..
The fires are a blazing 16 hours to go before the food goes on and we

run
out to the Thanksgiving sales.

My stuffing is done and the stuff merletons are done. Everything else gets
done starting at 5:00AM tomorrow morning.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old November 23rd 05, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2005-11-23, No More Retail penned:
The fires are a blazing 16 hours to go before the food goes on
and we run out to the Thanksgiving sales.

Not I, but I'm picking up a fresh turkey from Whole Foods tonight.

DH's parents are in town, and I think we're all in agreement that
we're best off if my MIL orchestrates the whole event while we kids
follow directions.

Wah!!

I want my mommy!

She did the very best Thanksgivings in the whole wide world. And directed
some epic feasts after she was past able to do it all herself. We have a
huge family so 25 or 30 for dinner wasn't unheard of.

Jo

Old November 23rd 05, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

I started today, just made ambrosia salad and a citrus flavored tea. The
rest gets done tomorrow.
Lily & her mama
Jazz, RB

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old November 23rd 05, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2005-11-23, No More Retail penned:
The fires are a blazing 16 hours to go before the food goes on
and we run out to the Thanksgiving sales.

Not I, but I'm picking up a fresh turkey from Whole Foods tonight.

DH's parents are in town, and I think we're all in agreement that
we're best off if my MIL orchestrates the whole event while we kids
follow directions.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

For the first time in I don't know how many years, I am *not* cooking
Thanksgiving dinner. My daughter saw how tired and frazzled I got last
year, and on the way home she told her husband she was going to volunteer to
do it this year. She had forgotten, but he reminded her a few weeks ago. I
am taking my frozen cranberry salad and the pumpkin pies. I made the salad
yesterday, and the pies are baking right now.

I cheat with the pies and use a bought graham cracker crust. Unfortunately,
that comes in a foil pan. I usually get the 10-inch size, which are barely
manageable. This time I got a 12-inch one, and is my oven a mess! I
cleaned up as much of the spillage as I could, but I still found out that my
smoke alarm works.

Joy

Old November 23rd 05, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2005-11-23, Jo Firey penned:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

DH's parents are in town, and I think we're all in agreement that
we're best off if my MIL orchestrates the whole event while we kids
follow directions.

Wah!!

I want my mommy!

She did the very best Thanksgivings in the whole wide world. And
directed some epic feasts after she was past able to do it all
herself. We have a huge family so 25 or 30 for dinner wasn't
unheard of.

Wow.

This will only be us four. Friends would be welcome, but it looks
like everyone already has plans.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old November 23rd 05, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2005-11-23, Jane penned:
The fires are a blazing 16 hours to go before the food goes on
and we run out to the Thanksgiving sales.

Not I, but I'm picking up a fresh turkey from Whole Foods tonight.

One year, when I was a teenager, my father bought a live turkey
right after Thanksgiving. He told the farmer to just keep it until
nearly Christmas. Two days before, the farmer called my dad and
said, 'Uh...how big is your oven, anyway?'

The turkey had grown to 35 pounds!!

My mother roasted that baby for most of the night, and we had all of
the fixings. Fortunately, the family at the time consisted of one
adolescent boy and *four* teenagers, a hungry hoard at best, so we
managed to polish off the turkey and all leftovers in a week. It
was the juiciest, best-tasting turkey I ever remember, too.

It'll never happen again. Just one of those one-in-a-million things.

Oh, man. I don't think I could individually pick out a live animal
and then eat it later. I am way too squeamish.

This one is fresh in the sense of not-frozen, not fresh in the sense
of still living. Well, I guess it could still be ...

Okay, not gonna think about that. Just gonna enjoy the turkey.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old November 23rd 05, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Yoj" wrote in message
. com...
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2005-11-23, No More Retail penned:
[...]

With my daughter living with me, I have a built-in chef (somehow the cooking
gene skipped a generation and went directly from my mother to my daughter -
although I *do* cook a mean Thanksgiving dinner). We decided to change
dessert (I wasn't too sure about baking a pecan pie from scratch and we're
having *LOTS* of company).

So here's the new menu:

Dinner (recipes provided upon request):

Roasted Turkey (marinated with Cajun Injection marinade)
Giblet Gravy (made from scratch)
Cajun Stuffing (made from cornbread which was made from scratch, and with
pork and venison sausage, and fresh veggies and herbs - to die for!)
Stuffed Merletons (with shrimp - my daughter made this today from my
mother's recipe - *OHMYGAWD* it's good!!!)
Mashed Potatoes (tip, boil the potatoes in chicken broth)
Sweet Potato Crunch (with fresh pecans)
Baked Macaroni (recipe from a famous New Orleans restaurant)
Homemade Cranberry Sauce
Homemade Rolls

Dessert (recipes provided upon request):

Homemade Chocolate Turtles
Homemade Heavenly Hash Candy
Homemade Pecan Pralines

Boy are we thankful this year!!!!! ;