Cat quotes - Long

Old November 24th 05, 08:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cat quotes - Long

While searching for a cat poem ("This Old Cat"), I found the most
amazing website:

http://www.catquotes.com/

There are many more things than just the quotes.

I have seem many of these before, but many of them are new to me.

"You can't help that. We're all mad here." - The Cheshire Cat from Alice
in Wonderland

"No matter how much cats fight, there always seems to be plenty of
kittens." - Abraham Lincoln

"Of all God's creatures, there is only one that cannot be made slave of
the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it
would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

"With their qualities of cleanliness, discretion, affection, patience,
dignity, and courage, how many of us, I ask you, would be capable of
becoming cats?" - Fernand Mery Her Majesty the Cat

"I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is
infinitely superior." - Hippolyte Taine

Actually, cats do this to protect you from gnomes who come and steal
your breath while you sleep. - John Dobbin

Don't think that I'm silly for liking it, I just happen to like the
simple little things, and I love cats! - Michelle Gardner

Everything I know I learned from my cat: When you're hungry, eat. When
you're tired, nap in a sunbeam. When you go to the vet's, pee on your
owner. - Gary Smith

Fans think they want to see more than the 10 to 20 seconds of Itchy and
Scratchy that we put on the show, but my feeling is less is more. Once
you've skinned and flayed a cat, ripped his head off, made him drink
acid and tied his tongue to the moon, there really isn't that much to
say. - Matt Groening, 1993

God is really only another artist. He invented the giraffe, the elephant
and the cat. He has no real style, He just goes on trying other things.
- Pablo Picasso

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as
equals. - Winston Churchill

I'm aloof, I like to run around outside, but I also like to curl up in
warm spots. I eat fish. - Megan Coughlin on why she'd make a good cat

The naming of cats is a difficult matter. It isn't just one of your
holiday games. You may think at first I'm mad as a hatter. When I tell
you a cat must have three different names... - T.S. Eliot

The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. - Michael McGarel

We need a word for all the kitty-prints that are all over my windshield
because the cats like to lie on my hood when the car is still warm. -
Megan Coughlin

When I play with my cat, how do I know that she is not passing time with
me rather than I with her? - Montaigne

You can visualize a hundred cats. Beyond that, you can't. Two hundred,
five hundred, it all looks the same. - Jack Wright (of Kingston,
Ontario, the Guinness Book record holder for the owner of the most cats
at one time [689])

You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his
tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you
understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send
signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that there
is no cat. - Albert Einstein, when asked to describe radio

"After scolding one's cat one looks into its face and is seized by the
ugly suspicion that it understood every word. And has filed it for
reference."- Charlotte Gray

"A dog will flatter you but you have to flatter the cat."- George Mikes

"You can keep a dog; but it is the cat who keeps people, because cats
find humans useful domestic animals."- George Mikes

"You own a dog but you feed a cat."- Jenny de Vries

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they
have many other fine qualities as well." - Missy Dizick

"One is never sure, watching two cats washing each other, whether it's
affection, the taste or a trial run for the jugular."- Helen Thomson

"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never
forgotten this." - Anonymous

"A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it
does stand on two legs."- Sarah Thompson

"Cats are kindly masters, just so long as you remember your place."-
Paul Gray

"One must love a cat on its own terms."- Paul Gray

"Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you
later." - Mary Bly

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and
cats." - Albert Schweitzer

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as
equals." - Winston Churchill

I have noticed that what cats most appreciate in a human being is not
the ability to produce food which they take for granted--but his or her
entertainment value. - Geoffrey Household

If a dog jumps into your lap it is because he is fond of you; but if a
cat does the same thing it is because your lap is warmer. - A. N.
Whitehead

Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for
what you want. - Joseph Wood Krutch

I love cats because I enjoy my home; and little by little, they become
its visible soul. - Jean Cocteau

With the qualities of cleanliness, affection, patience, dignity, and
courage that cats have, how many of us, I ask you, would be capable of
becoming cats? - Fernand Mery

When I play with my cat, who knows if I am not a pastime to her more
than she is to me? - Montaigne

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to
come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of
masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch. - Leo
Dworken

Cats can be cooperative when something feels good, which, to a cat, is
the way everything is supposed to feel as much of the time as possible.
- Roger Caras

Like a graceful vase, a cat, even when motionless, seems to flow. -
George F. Will

Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a
purpose. - Garrison Keillor

By and large, people who enjoy teaching animals to roll over will find
themselves happier with a dog. - Barbara Holland

A meow massages the heart. - Stuart McMillan

Cats are the ultimate narcissists. You can tell this by all the time
they spend on personal grooming. Dogs aren't like this. A dog's idea of
personal grooming is to roll in a dead fish. - James Gorman

If we treated everyone we meet with the same affection we bestow upon
our favorite cat, they, too, would purr. - Martin Buxbaum

Cats always know whether people like or dislike them. They do not always
care enough to do anything about it. - Winifred Carriere

If a cat does something, we call it instinct; if we do the same thing,
for the same reason, we call it intelligence. - Will Cuppy

There's no need for a piece of sculpture in a home that has a cat. -
Wesley Bates

The trouble with cats is that they've got no tact. - P. G. Wodehouse

Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily go
in one ear and out the other. - Stephen Baker

Prowling his own quiet backyard or asleep by the fire, he is still only
a whisker away from the wilds. - Jean Burden

The mathematical probability of a common cat doing exactly as it pleases
is the one scientific absolute in the world. - Lynn M. Osband

Cats do not have to be shown how to have a good time, for they are
unfailing ingenious in that respect. - James Mason

Meow is like aloha - it can mean anything. - Hank Ketchum

Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they
have many other fine qualities as well. - Missy Dizick

As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat. - Ellen Perry Berkeley

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. -
Robert A. Heinlein

Cats know how to obtain food without labor, shelter without confinement,
and love without penalties. - W. L. George

As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well
knows cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the human
kind. - Cleveland Amory

Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world - the clock and the
cat. - Emile Auguste Chartier

Even the stupidest cat seems to know more than any dog. - Eleanor Clark

Kittens are born with their eyes shut. They open them in about six days,
take a look around, then close them again for the better part of their
lives. - Stephen Baker

A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or
another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not. - Ernest Hemingway

If animals could speak the dog would be a a blundering outspoken fellow,
but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much. -
Mark Twain

The smallest feline is a masterpiece. - Leonardo da Vinci

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.
- Albert Schweitzer

You can't own a cat. The best you can do is be partners. - Sir Harry
Swanson

There are no ordinary cats. - Colette

A cat pours his body on the floor like water. It is restful just to see
him. - William Lyon Phelps

In the beginning, God created man, but seeing him so feeble, He gave him
the cat. - Warren Eckstein

There are few things in life more heartwarming than to be welcomed by a
cat. - Tay Hohoff

One reason we admire cats is for their proficiency in one-upmanship.
They always seem to come out on top, no matter what they are doing, or
pretend they do. - Barbara Webster

The ideal of calm exists in a sitting cat. - Jules Reynard

Most beds sleep up to six cats. Ten cats without the owner. - Stephen
Baker

Of all animals, he alone attains to the Contemplative Life. - Andrew
Lang

The cat is domestic only as far as suits its own ends... - Saki (H. H.
Munro)

We cannot without becoming cats, perfectly understand the cat mind. -
St. George Mivart

Most cats, when they are Out want to be In, and vice versa, and often
simultaneously. - Louis F. Camuti, DVM

The phrase "domestic cat" is an oxymoron. - George F. Will

By associating with the cat, one only risks becoming richer. - Colette

Intelligence in the cat is underrated. - Louis Wain

Way down deep, we're all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the
courage to live by them. - Jim Davis

Her function is to sit and be admired. - Georgina Strickland Gates

I believe cats to be spirits come to earth. A cat, I am sure, could walk
on a cloud without coming through. - Jules Verne

Of all animals, the cat alone attains to the comtemplative life. He
regards the wheel of existence from without, like the Buddha. - Andrew
Lang

There is no more intrepid explorer than a kitten. - Jules Champfleury

If a cat did not put a firm paw down now and then, how could his human
remain possessed. - Winifred Carriere

One of the oldest human needs is having someone to wonder where you are
when you don't come home at night. - Margaret Mead

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" -
Theophile Gautier

If you are worthy of its affection, a cat will be your friend, but never
your slave."- Theophile Gautier

Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds
than we are aware of." - Sir Walter Scott

"Cats are a tonic, they are a laugh, they are a cuddle, they are at
least pretty just about all of the time and beautiful some of the
time."- Roger Caras

"Cats know how to obtain food without labor, shelter without confinement
and love without penalties." - W. L. George

"As anyone who has ever been around a cat for any length of time well
knows, cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the human
mind." - Cleveland Amory

"The cat seldom interferes with other people's rights. His intelligence
keeps him from doing many of the fool things that complicate life." -
Carl Van Vechten

"Even overweight, cats instinctively know the cardinal rule: when fat,
arrange yourself in slim poses." - John Weitz

"Cats are smarter than dogs. You can't get eight cats to pull a sled
through snow." - Jeff Valdez

"People that hate cats will come back as mice in their next life." -
Faith Resnick

"There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned
by cats." - Anonymous

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and
cats." - Albert Schweitzer

"Managing senior programmers is like herding cats." - Dave Platt

"Cats are glorious creatures ~ who must on no accounts be
underestimated...
Their eyes are fathomless depths of cat-world mysteries.
- Lesley Anne Ivory (from Glorious Cats, The Paintings of Lesley Anne
Ivory)

"I put down my book, The Meaning of Zen, and see the cat smiling into
her fur as she delicately combs it with her rough pink tongue.
Cat, I would lend you this book to study but it appears you have already
read it.
She looks up and gives me her full gaze.
Don't be ridiculous, she purrs, I wrote it.
- from "Miao" by Dilys Laing

"A cat sees us as the dogs...A cat sees himself as the human." - Unknown

"Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a lot of
ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia." - Joseph
Wood Crutch

__"You can not look at a sleeping cat and feel tense." - Jane Pauley

"There is the little matter of disposal of droppings in which the cat is
far ahead of its rivals. The dog is somehow thrilled by what he or any
of his friends have produced, hates to leave it, adores smelling it, and
sometimes eats it...The cat covers it up if he can..." - Paul Gallico

"People who hate cats, will come back as mice in their next life." -
Faith Resnick

"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." - Unknown

"There are many intelligent species in the universe. They are all owned
by cats." - Unknown

"The cat has too much spirit to have no heart" - Ernest Menaul

"The problem with cats is that they get the same exact look whether they
see a moth or an axe murderer." - Paula Poundstone

"If I die before my cat, I want a little of my ashes put in his food so
I can live inside him." - Drew Barrymore

"We have a theory that cats are planning to take over the world, just
try to look them straight in the eye...yup, they're hiding something!" -
Dog Fancy

"Most cats, when they are out want to be in, and visa versa, and often
simultaneously." - Louis J. Camuti

"When you are looking, a cat acts like a princess, but the minute they
think you are not looking, a cat acts like a fool." - KC Buffington

"Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a
function." - Garrison Keillor

"If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would
deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

"Cats are designated friends." - Norman Corwin

"Cats seem to go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for
what you want." - Joseph Wood Crutch

Civilization is defined by the pesence of cats." - Unknown

"One of the most striking differences between a cat and a lie is that a
cat only has nine lives." - Mark Twain

"The cat could very well be man's best friend but would never stoop to
admitting it." - Doug Larson

"As every cat owner knows, nobody owns a cat." - Ellen Perry Berkeley

"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a
cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred
North Whitehead

"His mind is like a steel trap--full of mice." - Foghorn Leghorn

"The really great thing about cats is their endless variety. One can
pick a cat to fit almost any kind of decor, color, scheme, income,
personality, mood. But under the fur, whatever color it may be, there
still lies, essentially unchanged, one of the world's free souls." -
Eric Gurney
"I found out why cats drink out of the toilet. My mother told me it's
because the water is cold in there. And I'm like: How did my mother know
that?" - Wendy Liebman

"Prose book are the show dogs I breed and sell to support my cat." -
Robert Graves

"Winners are different. They're a different breed of cat." - Byron
Nelson

"The smart cat doesn't let on that he is." - H.G. Frommer

"He [the cat] liked to peep into the refrigerator and risk having his
head shut in by the closing door. He also climbed to the top of the
stove, discontinuing the practice after he singed his tail." - Lloyd
Alexander

"Cats are notoriously sore losers. Coming in second best, especially to
someone as poorly coordinated as a human being, grates their
sensibility." - Stephen Baker

Cats do care. For example they know instinctively what time we have to
be at work in the morning and they wake us up twenty minutes before the
alarm goes off." - Michael Nelson

"You may own a cat, but cannot govern one." - Kate Sanborn

"It always gives me a shiver when I see a cat seeing what I can't see."
- Eleanor Farjeon

"The phrase 'domestic cat' is an oxymoron." - George Will

"If you yell at a cat, you're the one who is making a fool of yourself."
- Unknown

"Of all domestic animals the cat is the most expressive. His face is
capable of showing a wide range of expressions. His tail is a mirror of
his mind. His gracefulness is surpassed only by his agility. And, along
with all these, he has a sense of humor." - Walter Chandoha

"A dog is like a liberal, he wants to please everybody. A cat doesn't
really need to know that everybody loves him." - William Kunstler

"An ordinary kitten will ask more questions than any five year old." -
Carl Van Vechten

"The reason cats climb is so that they can look down on almost every
other animal...its also the reason they hate birds." - KC Buffington

"If God created man in his own image, you've got to wonder; in whose
image did he create the nobler cat?" - Unknown

"Essentially, you do not so much teach your cat as bribe him." - Lynn
Hollyn

"There are few things in life more heart warming than to be welcomed by
a cat." - Tay Hohoff
"It is remarkable, in cats, that the outer life they reveal to their
masters is one of perpetual boredom." - Robley Wilson, Jr.

"Way down deep we are all motivated by the same urges, cats have the
courage to live by them." - Jim Davis

"Two cats can live as cheaply as one, and their owner has twice as much
fun." - Lloyd Alexander

"There is no cat 'language'. Painful as it is for us to admit, they
don't need one." - Barbara Holland

"Time spent with cats is never wasted." - May Sarton

"The furry little buggers [cats] are just deep, deep wells you throw
your emotions into." - Bruce Schimmel

"Cats can work out mathematically the exact place to sit that will cause
most inconvenience."- Pam Brown

"Cats have an infallible understanding of total concentration--and get
between you and it."- Arthur Bridges

"A kitten is so flexible that she is almost double; the hind parts are
equivalent to another kitten with which the forepart plays. She does not
discover that her tail belongs to her until you tread on it."- Henry
David Thoreau

"If the pull of the outside world is strong, there is also a pull
towards the human. The cat may disappear on its own errands, but sooner
or later, it returns once again for a little while, to greet us with its
own type of love. Independent as they are, cats find more than pleasure
in our company."- Lloyd Alexander

"Cats were put into the world to disprove the dogma that all things were
created to serve man."- Paul Gray

"Cat said, 'I am not a friend, and I am not a Servant. I am the Cat who
walks by himself, and I wish to come into your Cave.'" - Rudyard
Kipling, from the "Just-So Stories"

To err is human, to purr is feline. - Robert Byrne

If you want to know the character of a man, find out what his cat thinks
of him. - Anonymous

The smallest feline is a masterpiece. - Leonardo Da Vinci

Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet. - Colette

The ideal of calm exists in a sitting cat.- Jules Reynard

If cats could talk, they wouldn't.- Nan Porter

Every life should have nine cats. - Anonymous

Dogs eat. Cats dine. - Ann Taylor

....You are my cat and I am your human. - Hilaire Belloc

I've met many thinkers and many cats, but the wisdom of cats is
infinitely superior. - Hippolyte Taine

A cat is there when you call her - if she doesn't have something better
to do.- Bill Adler

Since each of us is blessed with only one life, why not live it with a
cat?- Robert Stearns

A cat can purr its way out of anything.- Donna McCrohan

My cat does not talk as respectfully to me as I do to her.- Colette

It is in their eyes that their magic resides.- Arthur Symons

Dogs come when they're called; cats take a message and get back to you.-
Mary Bly

A meow massages the heart.- Stuart McMillan

The little furry buggers are just deep, deep wells you throw all your
emotions into. - Bruce Schimmel

A cat is a puzzle for which there is no solution.- Hazel Nicholson

Meow is like aloha - it can mean anything.- Hank Ketchum

A dog is a dog, a bird is a bird, and a cat is a person.- Mugsy Peabody

Some cats is blind, And stone-deaf some, But ain't no cat Wuz ever
dumb.- Anthony Euwer

"The cat has been described as the most perfect animal, the acme of
muscular perfection and the supreme example in the animal kingdom of the
coordination of mind and muscle."- Roseanne Ambrose Brown

"Poets generally love cats--because poets have no delusions about their
own superiority."- Marion Garretty

"Everything a cat is and does physically is to me beautiful, lovely,
stimulating, soothing, attractive and an enchantment."- Paul Gallico,
from "An Honourable Cat"

"I think one reason we admire cats, those of us who do, is their
proficience in one-upmanship. They always seem to come out on top, no
matter what they are doing--or pretend to do. Rarely do you see a cat
discomfited. They have no conscience, and they never regret. Maybe we
secretly envy them."- Barbara Webster, from "Creatures and Contentments"

"Most cats, when they are Out want to be In, and vice versa, and often
simultaneously."- Dr. Louis J. Camuti

"Any cat who misses a mouse pretends it was aiming for the dead leaf."-
Charlotte Gray

"If your cat falls out of a tree, go indoors to laugh."- Patricia
Hitchcock

French novelist Colette was a firm cat-lover. When she was in the U.S.
she saw a cat sitting in the street. She went over to talk to it and the
two of them mewed at each other for a friendly minute. Colette turned to
her companion and exclaimed, "Enfin! Quelqu'un qui parle francais." (At
last! Someone who speaks French!) - Anonymous

"A cat isn't fussy--just so long as you remember he likes his milk in
the shallow, rose-patterned saucer and his fish on the blue plate. From
which he will take it, and eat it off the floor."- Arthur Bridges

"It is a very inconvenient habit of kittens (Alice had once made the
remark) that whatever you say to them, they /always/ purr."- Lewis
Carroll

"One small cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home."-
Pam Brown

"To some blind souls all cats are much alike. To a cat lover every cat
from the beginning of time has been utterly and amazingly unique."-
Jenny de Vries

"There are people who reshape the world by force or argument, but the
cat just lies there, dozing, and the world quietly reshapes itself to
suit his comfort and convenience."- Allen and Ivy Dodd

"Places to look: behind the books in the bookshelf, any cupboard with a
gap too small for any cat to squeeze through, the top of anything sheer,
under anything too low for a cat to squash under and inside the piano."-
Roseanne Ambrose-Brown

"A cat can maintain a position of curled up somnolence on your knee
until you are nearly upright. To the last minute she hopes your
conscience will get the better of you and you will settle down again."-
Pam Brown

"Cats like doors left open--in case they change their minds."- Rosemary
Nisbet

any a cat can only be lured in by switching off all the lights and
keeping very still. Until the indignant cry of a cat-locked-out comes at
the door."- Pam Brown

"The trouble with sharing one's bed with cats is that they'd rather
sleep on you than beside you."- Pam Brown

"A cat allows you to sleep on the bed. On the edge."- Jenny de Vries

"All cats like being the focus of attention."- Peter Gray

"When I play with my cat, who knows if I am not a pastime to her more
than she is to me?"- Michel E. de Monaigne

"People meeting for the first time suddenly relax if they find they both
have cats. And plunge into anecdote."- Charlotte Gray

"Nobody who is not prepared to spoil cats will get from them the reward
they are able to give to those who do spoil them."- Compton MacKenzie

"If you shamefully misuse a cat once she will always maintain a
dignified reserve toward you afterward. You will never get her full
confidence again." - Mark Twain

"It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat." - Anonymous

"When addressed, a gentleman cat does not move a muscle. He looks as if
he hasn't heard." - Mary Sarton

"Again I must remind you that a dog's a dog--a cat's a cat." - T. S.
Eliot

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" -
Theophile Gautier

"It is in the nature of cats to do a certain amount of unescorted
roaming." - Adlai Stevenson

"Most cats do not approach humans recklessly. The possibility of
concealed weapons, clods or sticks, tend to make them reserved. Homeless
cats in particular--with some justification, unfortunately--consider
humans their natural enemies. Much ceremony must be observed, and a
number of diplomatic feelers put out, before establishing a state of
truce." - Lloyd Alexander

"The cat of the slums and alleys, starved, outcast, harried, ... still
displays the self-reliant watchfulness which man has never taught it to
lay aside." - Saki

"When I play with my cat, who knows if I am not a pastime to her more
than she to me?" - Montaigne

"When anyone mistreats it, the cat wants nothing more to do with that
person and will remember him or her for a long time. It doesn't believe
in the doctrine of turning the other cheek and won't pretend that it
does." - Lawrence N. Johnson

"A cat is the only domestic animal I know who toilet trains itself and
does a damned impressive job of it." - Joseph Epstein

"I purr, therefore I am." - Anonymous

"Cats are living adornments." - Edwin Lent

"What greater gift than the love of a cat?" - Charles Dickens

"People that don't like cats haven't met the right one yet." - Deborah
A. Edwards, D.V.M.

"I called my cat William because no shorter name fits the dignity of his
character. Poor old man, he has fits now, so I call him Fitz-William." -
Josh Billings

"Always the cat remains a little beyond the limits we try to set for him
in our blind folly." - Andre Norton

"A cat doesn't know what it wants and wants more of it." - Richard Hexem

"For me, one of the pleasures of cats' company is their devotion to
bodily comfort." - Sir Compton Mackenzie

"It was not I who was teaching my cat to gather rosebuds, but she who
was teaching me." - Irving Townsend

"I saw the most beautiful cat today. It was sitting by the side of the
road, its two front feet neatly and graciously together. Then it gravely
swished around its tail to completely encircle itself. It was so fit and
beautifully neat, that gesture, and so self-satisfied, so complacent." -
Ann Morrow Lindbergher

"If there was any petting to be done...he chose to do it. Often he would
sit looking at me, and then, moved by a delicate affection, come and
pull at my coat and sleeve until he could touch my face with his nose,
and then go away contented." - Charles Dudley Warner

"People who love cats have some of the biggest hearts around." - Susan
Easterly

"The cat does not offer services. The cat offers itself. Of course he
wants care and shelter. You don't buy love for nothing. Like all pure
creatures, cats are practical." - William S. Burroughs

"Is it yet another survival of jungle instinct, this hiding away from
prying eyes at important times? Or merely a gesture of independence, a
challenge to man and his stupid ways?" - Michael Joseph

"When your cat rubs the side of its face along your leg, it's
affectionately marking you with its scent, identifying you as its
private property, saying, in effect, 'You belong to me'." - Susan
McDonough, D.M.V.

"Cats do care. For example, they know instinctively what time we have to
be at work in the morning; and they wake us up twenty minutes before the
alarm goes off." - Michael Nelson

"Although all cat games have their rules and rituals, these vary with
the individual player. The cat, of course, never breaks a rule. If it
does not follow precedent, that simply means it has created a new rule
and it is up to you to learn it quickly if you want the game to
continue." - Sidney Denham

"A cat is never vulgar." - Carl Van Vechten

"I rarely meddled in the cat's personal affairs and she rarely meddled
in mine. Neither of us was foolish enough to attribute human emotions to
our pets." - Kinky Friedman

"Cats are dangerous companions for writers because cat watching is a
near-perfect method of writing avoidance." - Dan Greenburg

"Cats are successful underachievers. They only need to purr in order to
get free food and TLC. What other creature can lay around the house
doing nothing beyond purring, and still get free food and TLC?" - Jim
Aites

"Could the purr be anything but contemplative?" - Irving Townsend

"Cat people are different to the extent that they generally are not
conformists. How could they be with a cat running their lives?" - Louis
J. Camuti, D.V.M.

"Sleeping together is a euphemism for people, but tantamount to marriage
with cats." - Marge Percy
"Any conditioned cat-hater can be won over by any cat who chooses to
make the effort." - Paul Corey

"You can tell your cat anything and he'll still love you. If you lose
your job or your best friend, your cat will think no less of you." -
Helen Powers

"Cats are much like they were when they were first domesticated. They
are very independent because they had to be to survive." - Dr. Raymond
Hampton

"Cats are connoisseurs of comfort." - James Herriot

"A cat can be trusted to purr when she is pleased, which is more than
can be said for human beings." - William Ralph Inge

"Cats come and go without ever leaving." - Martha Curtis

"The way to keep a cat is to try to chase it away." - E. W. Howe

"Are cats lazy? Well, more power to them if they are. Which one of us
has not entertained the dream of doing just as he likes, when and how he
likes, and as much as he likes?" - Fernand Mery

"A little drowsing cat is an image of perfect beatitude." - Jules
Champfleury

"He seems the incarnation of everything soft and silky and velvety,
without a sharp edge in his composition, a dreamer whose philosophy is
sleep and let sleep." - Saki

"All cats are possessed of a proud spirit, and the surest way to forfeit
the esteem of a cat is to treat him as an inferior being." - Michael
Joseph

"There is no such thing as 'just a cat'." - Robert A. Heinlein

"A cat sleeps fat, yet walks thin." - Unknown

"There is, indeed, no single quality of the cat that man could not
emulate to his advantage." - Carl Van Vechten

"Even if you have just destroyed a Ming Vase, purr. Usually all will be
forgiven." - Lenny Rubenstein

"Does the father figure in your cat's life ever clean the litter box? My
husband claims that men lack the scooping gene." - Barbara L. Diamond

"Every cat is special in its own way." - Sara Jane Clark

"We should be careful to get out of an experience only the wisdom that
is in it and stop there, lest we be like the cat that sits down on a hot
stove-lid. She will never sit down on a hot stove-lid again, and that is
well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one anymore." - Mark
Twain

"If by chance I seated myself to write, she very slyly, very tenderly,
seeking protection and caresses, would softly take her place on my knee
and follow the comings and goings of my pen -- sometimes effacing, with
an unintentional stroke of her paw, lines of whose tenor she
disapproved." - Pierre Loti

"A cat is nobody's fool." - Heywood Brown

"The reason cats climb is so that they can look down on almost every
other animal...it's also the reason they hate birds." - K.C. Buffington

"Artists like cats; soldiers like dogs." - Desmond Morris

"My cat speaks sign language with her tail." - Robert A. Stern

"Some people say that cats are sneaky, evil, and cruel. True, and they
have many other fine qualities as well." - Missy Dizick

"In ancient times cats were worshipped as Gods, they have not forgotten
this." - Unknown

"A home without a cat, and a well-fed, well-petted and properly revered
cat, may be a perfect home, perhaps; but how can it prove its title?" -
Mark Twain

"When I raise a cat from kittenhood, it learns to read me so well that
it can con me and predict what I'm going to do. A young adult cat
doesn't know what to expect from me and I don't know what to expect from
it, so we immediately have each other's attention." - Karl Lewis Miller

"Just as the would-be debutante will fret and fuss over every detail
till all is perfect, so will the fastidious feline patiently toil until
every whiskertip is in place." - Lynn Hollyn

"Another cat? Perhaps. For love there is also a season; its seeds must
be resown. But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a
set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated.
I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded
but not replaced one another." - Irving Townsend

"A kitten is chiefly remarkable for rushing about like mad at nothing
whatever, and generally stopping before it gets there." - Agnes Repplier

"I am indebted to the species of the cat for a particular kind of
honorable deceit, for a great control over myself, for characteristic
aversion to brutal sounds, and for the need to keep silent for long
periods of time." - Colette

"A cat's got her own opinion of human beings. She don't say much, but
you can tell enough to make you anxious not to hear the whole of it." -
Jerome K. Jerome

"The whir of a can opener or the bark of an unfamiliar dog...will send
even the most deeply dozing cat bounding into the kitchen or under the
bed." - Barbara L. Diamond

"If you would know what a cat is thinking about, you must hold its paw
in your hand for a long time." - Jules Champfleury

"If stretching were wealth, the cat would be rich." - Unknown

"Cats are smart. You know it and I know it." - Debbie Mertens

"Many cats simply pounce to their own drummers." - Karen Duprey

"Cats, like butterflies, need no excuse." - Robert A. Heinlein

"The domestic cat seems to have greater confidence in itself than in
anyone else." - Lawrence N. Johnson

"Any household with at least one feline member has no need for an alarm
clock." - Louise A. Belcher

"Cats conspire to keep us at arm's length." - Frank Perkins

"Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at
midnight for a black cat that isn't there. Theologians can persuade
themselves of anything." - Robert A. Heinlein

"When Mother Nature saw fit to remove the tail of the Manx, she left, in
place of the tail, more cat." - Mary E. Stewart

"The way to get on with a cat is to treat it as an equal - or even
better, as the superior it knows itself to be." - Elizabeth Peters

"Cats look beyond appearances--beyond species entirely, it seems--to
peer into the heart." - Barbara L. Diamond

"He lives in the halflights in secret places, free and alone - this
mysterious little great being whom his mistress calls 'My cat.'" -
Margaret Benson

"The cat is the only animal which accepts the comforts but rejects the
bondage of domesticity." - Georges Louis Leclerc de Buffon

"A cat doesn't 'roll' well with a change of someone else's making." -
Carole Wilbourn

"One cat just leads to another." - Ernest Hemingway

"A cat's behavior is a direct reflection of his feelings." - Carole
Wilbourn

"Kittens believe that all nature is occupied with their diversion." -
F.A. Paradis de Moncrif

"Cats have intercepted my footsteps at the ankle for so long that my
gait, both at home and on tour, has been compared to that of a man
wading through low surf." - Roy Blount, Jr.

"My husband said it was him or the cat...I miss him sometimes." -
Unknown

"I cannot deny that a cat lover and his cat have a master/slave
relationship. The cat is the master." - Arthur R. Kassin

"Cats have enormous patience with the limitations of the human mind.
They realize...that we have an infuriating inability to understand, let
alone follow, even the simplest and most explicit of directions." -
Cleveland Amory

"To understand a cat, you must realize that he has has own gifts, his
own viewpoint, even his own morality." - Lilian Jackson Braun

"In my next life, I'd like to come back as a cat." - Patti J. Moran

"A cat will do what it wants when it wants, and there's not a thing you
can do about it." - Frank Perkins

"It isn't always easy being a father to a cat." - B. L. Diamond

"A cat with kittens nearly always decides sooner or later to move them."
- Sidney Denham

"If a dog jumps into your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a
cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer." - Alfred
North Whitehead

"If the claws didn't retract, cats would be like Velcro." - Dr. Bruce
Fogle

"The purr from cat to man says, 'You bring me happiness; I am at peace
with you.'" - Barbara L. Diamond

"You have learned enough to see that cats are much like you and me." -
T.S. Eliot
"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that
truly makes living worth while?" Death thought about it. "Cats," he said
eventually, "Cats are nice." - Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

"The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that can be
learned in no other way." - Mark Twain

"It doesn't do to be sentimental about cats; the best ones don't respect
you for it." - Susan Howatch

"The cat, which is a solitary beast, is single minded and goes its way
alone; but the dog, like his master, is confused in his mind." - H.G.
Wells

"Some people own cats and go on to lead normal lives." - Unknown

"The cat is mighty dignified until the dog comes by." - Unknown

"You never saw such a crazy cat. 'Up the wall' took on a literal
meaning." - Arnold Hano

"Who needs television when you have cats?" - Lori Spigelmyer

"More than likely it was the cat who first coined and put into practice
the sage advice: 'If you would have a thing done well, you must do it
yourself.'" - Lawrence N. Johnson

"Bless their little pointed faces and their big, loyal, loving hearts.
If a cat did not put a firm paw down now and then, how could his human
remain possessed?" - Winifred Carriere

"Some animals are secretive; some are shy. A cat is private." - Leonard
Michaels

"He has become a much better cat than I have a person. With his gentle
urgings, he made me realize that life doesn't end just because one has a
few obstacles to overcome." - Mary F. Graf

"In reality, cats are probably better off remaining indoors and sending
out their humans to deal with the outside world." - Dr. Phyllis Sherman
Raschke

"The key to a successful new relationship between a cat and human is
patience." - Susan Easterly

"I would gladly change places with any of my cats." - George Ney

"It's really the cat's house--we just pay the mortgage." - Unknown

"Among animals, cats are the top-hatted, frock-coated statesmen going
about their affairs at their own pace." - Robert Sterns

"Most cats are not shy about letting their people know what they want."
- Karen Duprey

"A cat's name may tell you more about its owners than it does about the
cat." - Linda W. Lewis

"If I called her she would pretend not to hear, but would come a few
moments later when it could appear that she had thought of doing so
first." - Arthur Weigall

"Four little Persians, but only one looked in my direction. I extended a
tentative finger and two soft paws clung to it. There was a contented
sound of purring, I suspect on both our parts." - George Freedley

"Cats are creatures that express a multitude of moods and attitudes." -
Karen Brademeyer

"The cat does not negotiate with the mouse." - Robert K. Massie

"Cats often devise their own sets of rules that they think we should
live by, and they may be quick to chastise us if we fail to adhere to
these rules!" - Margaret Reister, D.V.M.

"The constant challenge to decipher feline behavior is perhaps one of
the most fascinating qualities of owning a cat." - Carole Wilbourn

"At dinner time he would sit in a corner, concentrating, and suddenly
they would say, 'Time to feed the cat,' as if it were their own idea." -
Lilian Jackson Braun

"No one shall deny me my own conclusions, nor my cat her reflective
purr." - Irving Townsend

"One of the quickest ways to a cat's brain is through its stomach." -
Ian Dunbar, Ph.D.

"A cat...would check to see if you brought anything to eat, and if not,
would turn and walk away, tail held high." - Mike Deupree

"If a homeless cat could talk, it would probably say, 'Give me shelter,
food, companionship and love, and I will be yours for life!" - Susan
Easterly

"The cat has always been associated with the moon. Like the moon it
comes to life at night, escaping from humanity and wandering over
housetops with its eyes beaming out through the darkness." - Patricia
Dale-Green

"The majority of people who still have back doors don't let their cats
go through them." - Charlene Beane

"A cat cares for you only as a source of food, security, and a place in
the sun. Her high self-sufficiency is her charm." - Charles Horton
Cooley

"Each one of our cats is a distinct, four-footed little person with an
individual personality." - Ira B. Rubin

"Always turn and look when your cat gazes behind you with that intent
look in her eyes. Some day there might actually be something there." -
Anonymous

"The cat is above all things, a dramatist." - Margaret Benson

"If you yell at a cat, you're the one who is making a fool of yourself."
- Unknown

"A cat will assume the shape of its container." - Unknown

"A cat determined not to be found can fold itself up like a pocket
handkerchief if it wants to." - Louis J. Camuti, D.V.M.

"Your cat may never have to hunt farther than the kitchen counter for
its supper nor face a predator more fierce than the vacuum cleaner..." -
Barbara L. Diamond

"In performing a variety of intellectually demanding tasks, cats usually
emerge as clear winners (over dogs)." - Dr. David Greene

"At Group L, Stoffel oversees six first-rate programmers, a managerial
challenge roughly comparable to herding cats." - The Washington Post
Magazine

"No man ever dared to manifest his boredom so insolently as does a
Siamese tomcat when he yawns in the face of his amorously importunate
wife." - Aldous Huxley

"If your cat favors the left paw, chances are good that it possesses
psychic ability to some extent." - Dr. David Greene

"Cats may, indeed, be the thinking man's pet--because living with cats
certainly keeps you on your toes!" - Barbara L. Diamond

"Don't let anyone tell you loving a cat is silly. Love, in any form, is
a precious commodity." - Barbara L. Diamond

"I think I'll come back as a cat." - George Ney

"When a cat chooses to be friendly, it's a big deal, because a cat is
picky." - Mike Deupree

"Surely the cat, when it assumes the meat loaf position and gazes
meditatively through slitted eyes, is pondering thoughts of utter
profundity..." - Mij Colson Barnum

"I never married because there was no need. I have three pets at home
which answer the same purpose as a husband. I have a dog which growls
every morning, a parrot which swears all afternoon, and a cat that comes
home late at night." - Maria Corelli

"How nice it is to think that feline dreams, like our own, are painted
with creative brush strokes from time to time. Perhaps my cats and I
even share the same dream: a world where all kittens are wanted and
loved, and where every cat has a safe, warm place to sleep...and to
dream." - Barbara L. Diamond

"Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good many
ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia." - Joseph
Wood Krutch

"No heaven will not ever be Heaven be; Unless my cats are there to
welcome me." - Unknown

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God." - Jeff Valdez

"Is it true cats wont stay in a house when it's haunted?" - Jeff Valdez

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will ****
on your computer." - Bruce Graham

"The last thing I would accuse a cat of is innocence." - Edward Paley

"Nothing's more playful than a young cat, nor more grave than an old
one." - Thomas Fuller

"Some cats are blind and stone deaf but ain't no cat wuz ever dumb." -
Anthony Henderson Euwer

"If a fish is the movement of water embodied, given shape, then a cat is
a diagram and pattern of subtle air." - Doris Lessing

"God made the cat in order to give man the pleasure of caressing the
tiger." - Unknown

Dogs have owners, cats have staff." - Unknown

"Way down deep, we're all motivated by the same urges. Cats have the
courage to live by them." - Jim Davis

I put down my book, The Meaning of Zen,
and see the cat smiling into her fur as she
delicately combs it with her rough pink tongue.
"Cat, I would lend you this book to study
but it appears you have already read it."
She looks up and gives me her full gaze.
"Don't be ridiculous" she purrs, "I wrote it." - From "Miao" by Dilys
Laing

When God made the world, He chose to put animals in it, and decided to
give each whatever it wanted. All the animals formed a long line before
His throne, and the cat quietly went to the end of the line. To the
elephant and the bear He gave strength, to the rabbit and the deer,
swiftness; to the owl, the ability to see at night, to the birds and the
butterflies, great beauty; to the fox, cunning; to the monkey,
intelligence; to the dog, loyalty; to the lion, courage; to the otter,
playfulness. And all these were things the animals begged of God. At
last he came to the end of the line, and there sat the little cat,
waiting patiently. "What will YOU have?" God asked the cat.

The cat shrugged modestly. "Oh, whatever scraps you have left over. I
don't mind."

"But I'm God. I have everything left over."

"Then I'll have a little of everything, please."

And God gave a great shout of laughter at the cleverness of this small
animal, and gave the cat everything she asked for, adding grace and
elegance and, only for her, a gentle purr that would always attract
humans and assure her a warm and comfortable home.

But he took away her false modesty.
- Lenore Fleischer - The Cat's Pajamas

"I am as vigilant as a cat to steal cream." - William Shakespeare, Henry
IV

"Most of us rather like our cats to have a streak of wickedness. I
should not feel quite easy in the company of any cat that walked about
the house with a saintly expression" - Beverly Nichols

"An ordinary kitten will ask more questions than any five-year-old boy."
- Carl Van Vechten

"I don't mind a cat, in its place. But its place is not in the middle of
my back at 4 a.m." - Maynard Good Stoddard

"When you're special to a cat, you're special indeed...she brings to you
the gift of her preference of you, the sight of you, the sound of your
voice, the touch of your hand." - Leonore Fleisher

"Do you see that kitten chasing so prettily her own tail? If you could
look with her eyes, you might see her surrounded with hundreds of
figures performing complex dramas, with tragic and comic issues, long
conversations, many characters, many ups and downs of fate." - Ralph
Waldo Emerson

"With dogs and people, it's love in big splashy colors. When you're
involved with a cat, you're dealing in pastels." - Louis A. Camuti,
D.V.M.

"Chances are that a man who can nuzzle a kitten is also open and caring
in other facets of his life." - Barbara L. Diamond

"The cat lets Man support her. But unlike the dog, she is no handlicker.
Furthermore, unlike Man's other great good friend the horse, the cat is
no sweating serf of Man. The only labor she condescends to perform is to
catch mice and rats, and that's fun." - Vance Packard

"A catless writer is almost inconceivable. It's a perverse taste,
really, since it would be easier to write with a herd of buffalo in the
room than even one cat; they make nests in the notes and bite the end of
the pen and walk on the typewriter keys." - Barbara Holland

"The great charm of cats is their rampant egotism, their devil-may-care
attitude toward responsibility, their disinclination to earn an honest
dollar." - Robertson Davies

"If a cat spoke, it would say things like, 'Hey, I don't see the problem
here'." - Roy Blount,Jr.

"Cats speak a subtle language in which few sounds carry many meanings,
depending on how they are sung or purred. 'Mnrhnh' means comfortable
soft chairs. It also means fish. It means genial companionship...and the
absence of dogs." - Val Schaffner

"Who hath a better friend than a cat?" - William Hardwin

"Which is more beautiful--feline movement or feline stillness?" -
Elizabeth Hamilton

"Every dog has his day -- but the nights are reserved for the cats." -
Unknown

A kitten is the most irresistible comedian in the world. Its wide-open
eyes gleam with wonder and mirth. It darts madly at nothing at all, and
then, as though suddenly checked in the pursuit, prances sideways on its
hind legs with ridiculous agility and zeal. - Agnes Repplier

Four little persians, but only one looked in my direction. I extednded a
tentative finger and two soft paws clung to it. There was a contented
sound of purring, I suspect on both our parts. - George Frredley

Because of our willingness to accept cats as superhuman creatures, they
are the ideal animals with which to work creatively. - Roni Schotter

His friendship is not easily won but it is something worth having. -
Michael Joseph

It is impossible for a lover of cats to banich these alert , gentle, and
disciminating little friends, who give us just enough of their regard
and complaisance to make us hunger for more. - Agnes Repplier

My little grandson is a darling, but he can never take the place of my
cats. - Anonymous Grandmother

In Egypt, the cats...afford evidence that animal nature is not
altogether intractable, but that when well-treated they are good at
remembering kindness. - Aelian

Female cats are very Lascivious, and make advances to the male. -
Aristotle

Cats at firesides live luxuriously and are the picture of comfort. -
Leigh Hunt

All cats love a cushioned couch. - Theocritus

Cats as a class, have never completely got over the snootiness caused by
that fact that in Ancient Egypt they were worshipped as gods. - P G
Wodehouse

Macavity, Macavity, there's no one like Macavity, there never was a cat
of such deceitfulness and sauvity. - T S Eliot

You may have a cat in the room with you without anxiety about anything
except eatables. The presence of a cat is positively soothing to a
student. - Philip Gilbert Hamerton

Cats too, with what silent stealthiness, with what light steps do they
creep up to a bird! - Pliny the Elder

I love cats. I even think we have one at home. - Edward L Burlingame

We brought with hus in the ship a cat, a most amicable cat and greatly
loved by us; but he grew to great bulk through the eating of fish. - St
Brendan

Minnaloushe creeps through the grass
Alone, important and wise
And lifts to the changing moon
His changing eyes. - W B Yeats

Cats Are Not impure; they keep watch about us. - The Prophet Mohammed

I was only a small child when the seeds of cat enchantment were sown
within me. - May Eustace

A common cat is four legal pence in value...

A Pound is the worth of a pet animal of the king. - Hywel Dda

There are cats and cats. - Denis Diderot
The city of cats and the city of men exist one inside the other, but
they are not the same city. - Italo Calvino

[...]

In October not even a cat is to be found in London.
Anonymous

Who hath a better friend than a cat?
William Hardwin

I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
Edgar Allan Poe

A cat is an example of sophistication minus civilization.
Anonymous

In the middle of a world that had always been a bit mad, the cat walks
with confidence.
Rosanne Amberson

A cat is a tiger that is fed by hand.
Vakaoka Genrin

Kittens believe that all nature is occupied with their diversion.
F.A. Paradis de Moncrif
If he is comic, it is only because of the incongruity of so demure a
look and so wild a heart.
Alan Devoe

The cat is the only animal which accepts the comforts but rejects the
bondage of domesticity.
Georges Louis Leclerc de Buffon

Cat lovers can readily be identified. Their clothes always look old and
well used. Their sheets look like bath towels and their bath look like a
collection of knitting mistakes.
Eric Gurney How to Live with a Calculating Cat

In its flawless grace and superior self-sufficiency I have seen a symbol
of the perfect beauty and bland impersonality of the universe itself,
objectively considered, and in its air of silent mystery there resides
for me all the wonder and fascination of the unknown.
H. P. Lovecraft 1890-1937

Twenty-seven cats at one time hints at monomania, but in may case it was
simpler. If you like cats and have some, you get kittens; and if you
like kittens and enjoy having them about, they grow up and you get more
cats.
Paul Gallico 1897-1976 Honorable Cat

When I play with my cat, who knows whether she is not amusing herself
with more than I with her
Michel De Montaigne 1533-1592 Essays, Book II

My sister crying, our maid howling, our cat wringing her hands.
Shakespeare 1564-1616 Two Gentleman of Verona act 2, scene 3, line 7

I could endure anything before but a cat, and now he's a cat to me.
Shakespeare All's Well That Ends Well act 4, scene 3, line 266

The cat, with eyes of burning coal,
Now Couches 'fore the mouse's hole.
Shakespeare Pericles, Prince of Tyre act 3, scene 1, line 5

A cat will never drown if she sees the shore.
Francis Bacon 1561-1626

The playful kitten with its pretty little tigerish gambole is infinitely
more amusing than half the people one is obliged to live with in the
world.
Lady Sydney Morgan 1783-1859

A Cat, with its phosporescent eyes that shine like lanterns and sparks
flashing from its back, moves fearlessly through the darkness, where it
meets wandfering ghosts, witches, alchemists, necromancers,
grave-robbers, lovers, thieves, murderers, grey-cloaked patrols, and all
the obscene larvae that only emerge at night.
Theophile Gautier 1811-1872

The Behaviour of men to animals and their beahviour to each other bear a
constant relationship.
Herbert Spencer 1820-1903

Nothing is so difficult as to paint the cat's face, which as Moncrif
justly observes bears a character of "finesse and hilarity." The lines
are so delicate, the eyes so strange, the movements subject to such
sudden impulses, that one should be feline oneself to portray such a
subject.
Champfleury (Jules Husson) 1821-1889

What's virtue in a man can't be virtue in a cat.
Gail Hamilton 1833-1896

I must have a cat whom I find homeless, wandering about the court, and
to whom, therefore, I am under no obligation. I have already selected a
dirty little drunken wretch of a kitten to be the successor to my poor
old cat.
Samuel Butler 1835-1902

Cats are oppressed, dogs terrify them, landladies starve them, boys
stone them, everybody speaks of them with contempt. If they were human
beings we could talk of their oppressors with a studied violence, add
our strength to theirs, even organize the oppressed and like good
politicians sell our charity for power.
William Butler Yeats 1865-1939 A Vision

I want to create a cat like the real cats I see crossing the streets,
not like those you see in houses. They have nothing in common. The cat
of the streets has bristling fur. It runs like a fiend, and if it looks
at you, you think it is going to jump in your face.
Pablo Picasso 1881-1973

Perhaps a child, like a cat, is so much inside of himself that he does
not see himself in the mirror.
Anais Nin 1903-1977 The Diary of Anais Nin, Vol II

"Oh. Auntie. isn't he a beauty! And is he a gentleman or a lady?"
"Neither, my dear! I had him fixed. It saves him from so many
undesirable associations."
D. H. Lawrence 1885-1930 Puss-Puss

People with insufficient personalities are fond of cats. These people
adore being ignored.
Henry Morgan
The human race may be divided into people who love cats and people who
hate them; the neutrals being few in numbers, and, for intellectual and
moral reasons, not worth considering.
Ascribed to "an acute thinker"
by Agnes Repplier 1855-1950 The Fireside Sphinx

A cat can climb down from a tree without the assistance of the fire
department or any other agency. The proof is that no one has ever seen a
cat skeleton in a tree.
Unknown

Recently we were discussing the possibility of making one of our cats
Pope, and we decided that the fact that she was not Italian, and was
female, made the third point, that she was a cat, irrelevant.
Katharine Whitehorn Leicester University Magazine January 1965

Cats can be very funny, and have the oddest ways of showing they're glad
to see you. Rudimac always peed in our shoes.
W. H. Auden 1907-1973

The cat is the only animal without visible means of support who still
manages to earn a living in the city.
Carl Van Vechten 1880-1964

Cats know how to obtain food without labor, shelter without confinement,
and love without penalties.
Walter Lionel George 1882-1926

Most cats, when they are Out want to be In, and vice versa, and often
simultaneously.
Dr. Louis J. Camuti

Every contented cat is an "it".
Helen Powers on the virtue of neutering

The ideal of calm exists in a sitting cat.
Jules Renard 1864-1910

The artist is uncomfortable with his success and with the blizzard of
fan mail it has produced. Kliban's recent collections have been
conspicuously empty of cats. "Cats are wonderful," Kliban once said.
"It's drawings of cats I get tired of."
J. C. Suares Great Cats

Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that
curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly.
- Arnold Edinborough

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
- Steven Wright

The trouble with a kitten is THAT Eventually it becomes a CAT.
- Ogden Nash

....But nature does not say that cats are more valuable than mice; nature
makes no remark on the subject. She does not even say that the cat is
enviable or the mouse pitiable. We think the cat superior because we
have (or most of us have) a particular philosophy to the effect that
life is better than death. But if the mouse were a German pessimist
mouse, he might not think that the cat had beaten him at all. He might
think he had beaten the cat by getting to the grave first.
- Gilbert Keith Chesterton

"Cats don't like change without their consent."
- Roger A. Caras

People who belong to Siamese cats must make up their minds to do a good
deal of waiting upon them."
- Compton Mackenzie

"Beware of those who dislike cats."
- Traditional

"Cats, like men, are flatterers."
- Walter Savage Landor

"Those who'll play with cats must expect to be scratched."
- Cervantes

"To respect the cat is the beginning of the aesthetic sense."
- Erasmus Darwin

"When all candles be out, all cats be gray."
- John Heywood

"The cat has to much spirit to have no heart."
- Ernest Menault

Cat: A pygmy lion who loves mice, hates dogs, and patronizes human
beings.
- Oliver Herford

A kitten is the delight of the household; all day long a comedy is
played out by an incomparable actor.
- Champfleury

God made the cat in order that man might have the pleasure of caressing
the lion.
- Fernand Mery

The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they
regard cats.
- Anonymous

If there is one spot of sun spilling onto the floor, a cat will find it
and soak it up.
- Joan Asper McIntosh

For every house is incomplete without him, and a blessing is alcking in
the spirit.
- Christopher Smart

Cats never strike a pose that isn't photogenic.
- Lillian Jackson Braun

There is nothing in the animal world, to my mind,

more delightful than grown cats at play.

They are so swift and light and graceful, so subtle

and designing, and yet so richly comical.

- Monica Edwards

Cats, no less liquid than their shadows, offer no angles to the wind.
They slip, diminished, neat, through loopholes less than themselves.
- A. S. J. Tessimond

The only mystery about the cat is why it ever decided to become a
domestic animal.
- Sir Compton MacKenzie

Ignorant people think it is the noise which fighting cats make that is
so aggravating, but it ain't so; it is the sickening grammar that they
use.
- Mark Twain

Cats possess so many of the same qualities as some poeple that it is
often hard to tell the people and the cats apart.
- P. J. O'Rourke

Women, poets, and especially artists, like cats; delicate natures only
can realize their sensitive systems.
- Helen M. Winslow

A baited cat may grow as fierce as a lion.
- Samuel Palmer

One of the ways in which cats show happiness is by sleeping.
- Cleveland Amory

No tame animal has lost less of its native dignity or maintained more if
its ancient reserve. The domestic cat might rebel tomorrow.
- William Conway

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no
criticisms.
- George Eliot

Confront a child, a puppy, and a kitten with sudden danger; the child
will turn instinctively for assistance, the puppy will grovel in abject
submission, the kitten will brace its tiny body for a frantic
resistance.
- Saki

Purring is an automatic safety valve device for dealing with happiness
overflow.
- Anonymous

If you want to write, keep cats. - Aldous Huxley

Cats are the tigers of us poor devils. - Theophile Gautier

Old November 24th 05, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2005-11-24, Gandalf wrote:

[numerous cat quotes snipped]

what in hell have i done to deserve all these kittens - mehitabel the cat

My first trip to the Humane Society (LONG) Dan Cat health & behaviour 18 July 11th 05 12:48 AM
OT, Long, don't give a damn; Joyce Brauer 1936 - 2005 Singh Cat anecdotes 16 July 1st 05 10:44 PM
T&H Update - Long LOL Cat anecdotes 30 August 15th 04 09:52 AM
About Bandit - long CatNipped Cat anecdotes 42 July 18th 04 07:34 AM
Gem the Gray Kitten (long) Annie Benson-Lennaman Cat anecdotes 21 August 25th 03 01:02 AM