Feeding human grade tuna

Old May 3rd 06, 12:42 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default Feeding human grade tuna

I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.

My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
or should the water be discarded?

I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
canned people food (which is what this tuna is), about salt and other
cchemicals that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
cat loves that tuna water.

Old May 3rd 06, 05:38 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Kiran" wrote in message

I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.

You cheapskate *******. A few pennies more and you could buy the tuna packed
in olive oil. Classier.

My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
or should the water be discarded?

Discard the tuna.

I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
canned people food (which is what this tuna is)

Eh?! Are you trying to suggest that the meat inside the "tuna" tins in
question is really human flesh?! You sick ****er!

about salt and other cchemicals

Yyeah! Ccould bbe ppoisonous, tthat s****!

that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
cat loves that tuna water.

A good idea, to save on all those tuna bills, would be to have your cat put
down. Think about it.

Old May 3rd 06, 06:37 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Wed, 3 May 2006 17:38:17 +0100, "People Pie"
wrote:

"Kiran" wrote in message

I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.

You cheapskate *******. A few pennies more and you could buy the tuna packed
in olive oil. Classier.

Classier.....and tastes like garbage.

I tried tuna in oil and thought I was going to puke.

I usually don't give my cats human tuna. Once a year or
so i'll give it to them as a treat. Also comes in handy
when they won't eat after some medical procudure.

Old May 3rd 06, 06:47 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

"Kiran" wrote in message
I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.

I would keep human tuna to the absolute minimum- if it begins to represent
too much of the cats diet you are risking tha cats developing steatitis
(yellow fat disease).
http://www.connollyac.com/showpracfa...=168&Private=0

--
Toni
http://www.irish-wolfhounds.com

Old May 3rd 06, 10:31 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Kiran wrote:
I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.

My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
or should the water be discarded?

I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
canned people food (which is what this tuna is), about salt and other
cchemicals that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
cat loves that tuna water.

I've heard the tuna for people has too much salt in it for cats.
I'm not sure if that's true...but I'd *carefully* check the salt content
or consult a vet...

(although I'm sure if you just feed her the tuna occasionally it would
be OK)
Old May 4th 06, 12:33 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

philo wrote:

: I've heard the tuna for people has too much salt in it for cats.

It probably has too much salt for humans as well.

: (although I'm sure if you just feed her the tuna occasionally it
: would be OK)

Right now it's about 2 cans a month.
Old May 5th 06, 01:39 AM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

In rec.pets.cats.health+behav Kiran wrote:
: I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
: appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.

: My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
: or should the water be discarded?

: I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
: canned people food (which is what this tuna is), about salt and other
: cchemicals that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
: cat loves that tuna water.

I had a cat that came down with FIV. At one point he nearly died when he
stopped eating and drinking. The only food I could get him to eat was tuna
and he would only drink the water in the can. While the vet warned that
tuna intended for humans are good for cats long term. He did agree that
it was better that he eat the tuna then nothing.

I forget exactly why the vet said the tuna was bad for cat, but it had
something to do with the level of minerals in the tuna was bad for cats.
--

-------------------

Old May 5th 06, 03:14 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav

On Thu, 04 May 2006 19:39:23 -0500, Frank Pittel wrote:

: I occasionally feed her tuna chunks as treats which are greatly
: appreciated. I buy tuna packed in water.

: My question is: Is it ok to serve tuna in the water it came packed in,
: or should the water be discarded?

: I ask because I recall hearing different opinions on what to do with
: canned people food (which is what this tuna is), about salt and other
: cchemicals that may be in the packing fluids etc. As for the taste, my
: cat loves that tuna water.

I give my four babies a small can of tuna a week for the four of them. I asked my vet at
http://vethealthcenter.com/ about it and she said that it would not hurt them as long as
that was all I gave them and they still got their regular cat food which they do.

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/