Maaa! Maaa!

Old June 1st 05, 07:32 PM
Norm

Default Maaa! Maaa!

Heard this call as I was typing and finally went to investigate - a very
small fawn, no more than a foot and half tall, at the edge of the woods,
maybe 6' from the car I'm working on. Came back for camera and heard it
a bit farther off and went into the woods but no could find.

5 minutes later, it repeated and I thought I could spot it. Nope,
despite again venturing 60-80' into the woods. Now the third time.
Wish me luck though I don't know what I'll do about it. Norm

--
"The web has got me caught. I'd rather have the blues than what I've
got." via Nat King Cole
Old June 1st 05, 08:18 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:32:52 -0400, Norm yodeled:

Heard this call as I was typing and finally went to investigate - a very
small fawn, no more than a foot and half tall, at the edge of the woods,
maybe 6' from the car I'm working on. Came back for camera and heard it
a bit farther off and went into the woods but no could find.

5 minutes later, it repeated and I thought I could spot it. Nope,
despite again venturing 60-80' into the woods. Now the third time.
Wish me luck though I don't know what I'll do about it. Norm

Poor little sweetie! Hope it finds its mommy.

Theresa
Old June 1st 05, 09:11 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:32:52 -0400, Norm wrote:

Heard this call as I was typing and finally went to investigate - a very
small fawn, no more than a foot and half tall, at the edge of the woods,
maybe 6' from the car I'm working on. Came back for camera and heard it
a bit farther off and went into the woods but no could find.

5 minutes later, it repeated and I thought I could spot it. Nope,
despite again venturing 60-80' into the woods. Now the third time.
Wish me luck though I don't know what I'll do about it. Norm

Purrs for the little guy. Just remember that most of the time fawns
don't really need rescue. Momma is sometimes forced to leave the baby
to forage, depending on the fawn's camouflage to keep it safe. I
remember almost driving over fawn while camping in Colorado. Little
guy was hidden in a clump of grass between the wheel tracks of a
little used dirt road. I spotted it just in time, got out and
investigated, making sure not to get too close. Took a few pix, and
the whole time the fawn laid there pretending to be invisible. Being
late in the day I backed off several hundred yards and pitched camp
for the night, while watching the spot through binoculars. Eventually,
a doe came to claim the fawn, and they disappeared into the woods.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy and Little Bit

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old June 1st 05, 10:00 PM
Norm

Steve Touchstone wrote:
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:32:52 -0400, Norm wrote:

5 minutes later, it repeated and I thought I could spot it. Nope,
despite again venturing 60-80' into the woods. Now the third time.
Wish me luck though I don't know what I'll do about it. Norm

Purrs for the little guy. Just remember that most of the time fawns
don't really need rescue. Momma is sometimes forced to leave the baby
to forage, depending on the fawn's camouflage to keep it safe.

Yep, except this guy was up and about, and Twin Lakes Rd, 1000' away, is
a bit of a thoroughfare, with frequent nailings - I've been in 2 cars
that have struck these ambulatory soda machines. Anyway, the 3rd time I
went into the woods I circled around to aproach where the sound seemed
to be from the other side - nada. About 45min ago I heard it again, and
started some answering cries. The sound is like a crows caw, more
high-pitched, a sound that is vaguely like a cat's help cry only
louder. I sat down on the gravel and "talked" as I weeded the garage
apron, who knows what I was saying tho. Eventually it stopped crying
again. It isn't more than 50' from a deer trail so if it's own ma isn't
returning maybe another doe will adopt it. Thing is, there's bear and
fox too. Norm (I never get planned chores done!)

Old June 1st 05, 11:45 PM
Christine Burel

Sending purrs your and the fawn's way -- have you thought about a wildlife
rescue agency or rehabilitator?
Christine

Old June 2nd 05, 05:06 PM
Wm Murray

Christine Burel wrote:

Sending purrs your and the fawn's way -- have you thought about a wildlife
rescue agency or rehabilitator?
Christine

Not much around here and not many are fond of deer anymore, but anyway
the cries haven't recurred since my las post so I assumeit's been found
or found the deer trail and gone off. Norm