bad da bird experience

Old October 13th 03, 04:45 AM
Will Dwyer

To Whom it May Concern:

I am the "putz" Rona referred to in the post below. I feel compelled
to respond to her post, as her negative experience with our business
is an extremely rare occurrence. The overwhelming majority of our
customers are satisfied with our products and customer service. While
I regret and sincerely apologize for my role in her experience, the
circumstances surrounding it should be more fully addressed.

Rona's initial contact with us was via telephone on a Friday. As
stated in the email from the owner that she included in her post, our
shipping department did its best to ship her order on the same day she
placed it, but unfortunately, it got lost in the shuffle. It was
shipped the following Monday, unfortunately too late for her to
receive it before she had to return to Canada after visiting friends
in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

I administer the website for GO-CAT Feather Toys from a different
location than the main office. Therefore, I only have access to
orders placed via the website, and have no knowledge or record of
orders placed via other methods, such as telephone, fax or snail-mail.
When I received Rona's email, I did my best to respond to it, based on
what knowledge I had, which was nil. After a thorough search of the
database generated by our website, I could not find any records
matching any information she provided in her email.

Since Rona's order was placed via telephone, her complaints should
have been communicated via telephone as well. Instead of complaining
via email to someone who had no knowledge or record of her order, she
should have called our main office, where her order was on record.

As for Rona's concerns about paying tariffs on her order, they are
unfounded. Thanks to NAFTA, the value of her order would have been
low enough to be exempt from tariffs and/or duties.

Sincerely,
William Dwyer, Webmaster
GO-CAT Feather Toys
http://www.go-cat.com

"Rona Yuthasastrakosol" wrote in message ...
"PawsForThought" wrote in message

I also found another similar toy that I ordered on line. They were a lot
cheaper than Da Bird. I can try to find the website if you're interested.

Does it swivel and make sounds like Da Bird? I think that's why my cat
likes it. Then again, she'll also plays with sisal rope (with my
supervision, of course) and that has no swivels or sounds whatsoever :-).
I'd love to see the website, thanks!

I did receive another e-mail from Go-cats, this time from the owner,
herself. She was the one who took my order and she put it together as
promised but it got lost before delivery. After her e-mail, I fully forgive
her and her company (as for her son--well, he's a bit of a putz) and I think
she really does appreciate her customers. She did sound very nice when I
placed my order, and that is, in part, why I was so surprised and angry with
the first e-mail I received (which was from her son). I will probably not
take her up on her offer since I don't really want to pay duty, but I do
appreciate it.

I just wanted to let people know, and I've pasted a copy of her e-mail to me
so others could read it (I snipped her name, though, for privacy reasons).

----begin paste----
Dear Rona,

My sincerest apologies for our failure to deliver your order as
promised. When I heard you did not receive your order, I raised the roof
and asked everyone to look for your order. It was found fallen between two
boxes and overlooked. I had it sent to the shipping department on Monday,
plenty of time for UPS to deliver by Tues or Weds. If you will forgive us,
I'll ship your order to Canada with no shipping charges.
I will need your address to do so.

My son's answer that "small orders" are not a priority with us since
we are primarily "Wholesale" is entirely off base. It's customer's like
you and your cats that have made us as successful as we are. Our first five
years growth is attributed solely to word of mouth and I cringe at the
prospect of even one unhappy customer out there!!!

Sincerely,

name snipped, Owner
GO CAT FEATHER TOYS
----end paste----

rona

Old October 13th 03, 05:25 AM
Karen

in article , Will Dwyer at
wrote on 10/12/03 10:45 PM:

[...]

Well, there goes the good customer service your mom restored.

Karen

Old October 13th 03, 06:03 AM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Will Dwyer" wrote in message
om...
To Whom it May Concern:

I am the "putz" Rona referred to in the post below. I feel compelled
to respond to her post, as her negative experience with our business
is an extremely rare occurrence. The overwhelming majority of our
customers are satisfied with our products and customer service. While
I regret and sincerely apologize for my role in her experience, the
circumstances surrounding it should be more fully addressed.

Just to make it known, I have no problems with Go-Cats products. As I told
your mother when I first called, Da Bird is the only toy my cat will play
with (aside from some sisal string) and it has lasted almost 4 years with
the original feather attachment. It was only very recently that I began to
have problems with loose feathers, but I would say that 4 years of play with
an active cat is indicative of a very high quality product.

Rona's initial contact with us was via telephone on a Friday. As
stated in the email from the owner that she included in her post, our
shipping department did its best to ship her order on the same day she
placed it, but unfortunately, it got lost in the shuffle. It was
shipped the following Monday, unfortunately too late for her to
receive it before she had to return to Canada after visiting friends
in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

The order was not shipped the following Monday, which would have been
October 6th. The order was not shipped at all. What you included in your
e-mail to me was as follows:
----begin paste----
We're sorry we weren't able to ship your order as fast as you would have
liked. We are a small, family owned business with limited staffing. In
addition to retail sales on our website, we have hundreds of wholesale
customers which comprize the bulk of our business. Out of necessity, we
must prioritize our shipping schedule, and retail orders get a lower
priority than wholesale orders. Your order was scheduled to be shipped
tomorrow. We don't bill our customers until after shipment, so your credit
card has not been billed yet. I will remove your order from the queue
immediately.
----end paste----

You made no mention of not knowing about the order nor of having no records
of it. What you did say was that "retail orders get a lower priority than
wholesale orders" and "Your order was scheduled to be shipped tomorrow"
(which would have been Friday the 10th, one week after I placed the order).

I administer the website for GO-CAT Feather Toys from a different
location than the main office. Therefore, I only have access to
orders placed via the website, and have no knowledge or record of
orders placed via other methods, such as telephone, fax or snail-mail.
When I received Rona's email, I did my best to respond to it, based on
what knowledge I had, which was nil.

But then you should have made queries to determine the background of my
complaint before replying. This is, in my opinion, what customer service is
all about. This is something I am very familiar with since I had been
involved in my family's business for 25+ years until we closed it, and also
spent several years in retail sales as a university student.

After a thorough search of the
database generated by our website, I could not find any records
matching any information she provided in her email.

In the first e-mail I sent on Wednesday, Oct. 8, I stated "Last Friday (Oct.
3) I placed an order with you for 2 Da Bird cat toys, one cat tail, and one
pack of 3 replacement feathers. I only placed the order after being
*assured* that it would arrive by Wednesday, October 8th, as I am in
Michigan (Ann Arbor) visiting friends and will be leaving early Thursday
morning (I had the order shipped to a friend's house)." While I did not
explicitly state that I had placed the order by telephone, the fact that I
was *assured* I would receive the order implies that I spoke to someone.
Why did you not call the main office to find out if my order had been placed
by phone? This e-mail, incidentally, was never responded to although I
included my friend's telephone number so someone could call me.

Since Rona's order was placed via telephone, her complaints should
have been communicated via telephone as well. Instead of complaining
via email to someone who had no knowledge or record of her order, she
should have called our main office, where her order was on record.

It was impossible for me to know who had knowledge of my order. There is no
information whatsoever on the website stating that queries regarding
telephone orders should be made via telephone, and website orders via the
website. In addition, both e-mails I sent were made prior to my arriving
home. I did not feel comfortable making a long distance call from my
friend's house (which is why I included her telephone number in my first
e-mail), and calling from a pay phone would have resulted in expensive long
distance charges. Why should I have endured an expense due to an error not
my own?

As for Rona's concerns about paying tariffs on her order, they are
unfounded. Thanks to NAFTA, the value of her order would have been
low enough to be exempt from tariffs and/or duties.

That is completely untrue. If you had done your research, you would have
found that:

---begin paste----
If someone mails you an item worth $20 CAN or less, you don't have to pay
duty or tax on the item (see D8-2-2 for details).
If the item is worth more than $20 CAN, you must pay the applicable duty,
the GST or HST, and any PST on the item's full value (see D8-2-2 for
details).

from
http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/customs/b...ty_free-e.html

----end paste----

My order would have amounted to roughly US$25 which would have been above
the $20 Can limit. Therefore, I would not only have had to pay duty and
taxes, but also a $5 brokerage fee. Having ordered via mail order in the
past, I am very familiar with such things. Gifts valued at CAN$60 or less
are also exempt from duty, but this was a retail purchase so it would not
fall under this category.

Quite honestly, although I was angry about not getting my order as promised,
if I had just been told that the order had been misplaced, I would not have
been as upset. My anger came primarily from the fact that you insinuated
that my order was not important by stating that "retail orders get a lower
priority than wholesale orders". If I had been told the truth from the
outset, or even if you had just said "We're not sure what happened but I
will find out and get back to you" I would not have responded as I had, nor
would I have even mentioned the problem here. Good customer service is not
what you gave me. Your mother, on the other hand, seems to be the very
epitomy of good customer service and she truly seems to care about her
customers and her product. Perhaps you should take a step back and try to
learn from her before dealing with other customer complaints.

rona

Old October 13th 03, 02:35 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Karen" wrote in message

Well, there goes the good customer service your mom restored.

Karen

Whew! I thought I was just being hyper-sensitive by taking offense!

The e-mail she sent was so kind, though, that I cannot let anything or
anyone take away her kindness and concern--even her son! I just tell myself
that she's the one who owns the company!

rona

Old October 13th 03, 02:51 PM
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"PawsForThought" wrote in message

http://www.dresslersdog.com/teasers01.html

Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it for future reference! She might
like mylar attachment, but I noticed that she doesn't care much for mylar
balls so I'm not sure if she cares for shiny things. The leather one would
probably be better for her. Go-Cats also has extra attachments for Da Bird
but I've never seen them anywhere but the company's website. The thing I
like about my Da Bird is that the feathers have lasted a long time. The
little coloured feather only lasted a month or so, but the big feathers on
mine lasted about 4 years before coming loose. Even loose, though, they
haven't fallen out. They just twist around so the feathers don't swivel and
make flapping sounds unless you untwist them. It's hard to find quality
like that in a feather toy!

That was a very nice email, Rona. She said she wouldn't charge you for
shipping. What kind of duty do you have to pay?

Lauren

Last I checked, it was about 15% of the total order (it may be only 10%
now), plus 7%GST plus a $5 brokerage fee. Some provinces also charge
Provincial Sales Tax on mail orders, but I don't think mine does (a good
thing, since it would add another 7%). It would have brought my total order
to about C$50 for what would be a C$35 order. Mail ordering from the US to
Canada sucks, to say the least, which is why I try to do it when I know I'm
going to be in the US. My mother will be going to NH to visit my sister for
Christmas, so I might be able to place another order then and have her bring
it back.

Thanks for all your help!

rona