Canned food & hot humid air

Old July 23rd 05, 01:52 AM
Dude Harry

Default Canned food & hot humid air

Hi. I am just curious if anyone knows for sure if canned food should
be left in normal room temperature until opened, or is it better to
leave them in something like the butter section in the fridge to keep
it cool. I realize the cans can last a long time on the shelves in
stores, but I am curious if chilled food is OK for the cats or if it
should always be fed at room temperature. Considering it has been very
hot outside, I thought the chilled food would be better for them.

We did let our cats out on our screen porch when it was humid out and
86 degrees F., and they have been sick for a day or two. Is it bad for
cats to be out in humid weather (always in shade) or should we keep
them indoors until it is cooler and not humid. They are indoor cats,
where we keep the indoor temperature at 78 degrees F., but we have a
screened in porch which we let them out in the evening for an hour to
get some fresh air. We are not sure if the humidity made them sick or
the chilled soft food which they seem to eat with no problem.
They always eat the same soft food and dry food, so nothing is
different there for them.
Just trying to isolate what may be making them sick.
One was sick for one day and the other was sick for 2 1/2 days.

Please reply here or to the email below.
Thank you in advance for your reply.

Old July 23rd 05, 02:21 AM
Snittens

"Dude Harry" wrote in message
Hi. I am just curious if anyone knows for sure if canned food should
be left in normal room temperature until opened, or is it better to
leave them in something like the butter section in the fridge to keep
it cool. I realize the cans can last a long time on the shelves in
stores, but I am curious if chilled food is OK for the cats or if it
should always be fed at room temperature. Considering it has been very
hot outside, I thought the chilled food would be better for them.

I wouldn't put it in the fridge. Some cats get turned off by cold food.
Normal room temperature should be OK. If you don't have AC, you may want to
store it in the basement or somewhere cool. Keep it like you would human
canned food.

We did let our cats out on our screen porch when it was humid out and
86 degrees F., and they have been sick for a day or two. Is it bad for
cats to be out in humid weather (always in shade) or should we keep
them indoors until it is cooler and not humid. They are indoor cats,
where we keep the indoor temperature at 78 degrees F., but we have a
screened in porch which we let them out in the evening for an hour to
get some fresh air. We are not sure if the humidity made them sick or
the chilled soft food which they seem to eat with no problem.
They always eat the same soft food and dry food, so nothing is
different there for them.
Just trying to isolate what may be making them sick.
One was sick for one day and the other was sick for 2 1/2 days.

I doubt an hour or two on the porch would make them sick. It may have been
the food, it's hard to say. Were they sick like throwing up or just
lethargic? Even though I've had the AC going the whole time through this
heat wave and my cats don't go out, I have noticed that they are sleepier
than usual.

-Kelly

Old July 23rd 05, 02:41 AM
whitershadeofpale

whitershadeofpale wrote:
Dude Harry wrote:
[...]

So sorry bout that, I have several computers going, several browsers
open I was reading one, and replying to your (oddly enough)...

Probably some ol' gren stank fly blowin their food when you ain't
lookin man...then they ate it. sheeew

Old July 23rd 05, 03:07 AM
Cheryl

On Fri 22 Jul 2005 08:52:30p, Dude Harry wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

We did let our cats out on our screen porch when it was humid
out and 86 degrees F., and they have been sick for a day or two.
Is it bad for cats to be out in humid weather (always in shade)
or should we keep them indoors until it is cooler and not humid.

Sick like how? I leave unopened cans in normal summer indoor temps
(between 70 and 80 F) for storage. Is it possible that they got
ahold of something toxic out there? Was there any bug spray used in
the close vacinity? Have they had enough to drink during the hot
spells? Is the litterbox cleaned/changed frequently to ward off
bacteria during the hot months?

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old July 23rd 05, 08:56 AM
Alex Panda

"Dude Harry" wrote in message
Hi. I am just curious if anyone knows for sure if canned food should
be left in normal room temperature until opened, or is it better to
leave them in something like the butter section in the fridge to keep
it cool. I realize the cans can last a long time on the shelves in
stores, but I am curious if chilled food is OK for the cats or if it
should always be fed at room temperature. Considering it has been very
hot outside, I thought the chilled food would be better for them.

Cats don't like cold food - in fact they often like it a little warmed to
replicate the temperature of a 'kill' - a mouse or bird would still be warm
when eaten. I suspect most cats would wait until chilled food reached room
temperature. If you have coller places accessible for your cats that should
be OK. Our black cat goes outside at will, and when we're out in the yard
he lies in the shade under a bench as in recent weeks it's been too hot for
him (being black doesn't help) - or he goes back inside.

Old July 23rd 05, 09:43 AM
SuperZee via CatKB.com

Why don't you balance the can on your warm head and do a little dance for
your precious pussy.

Alex Panda wrote:
Hi. I am just curious if anyone knows for sure if canned food should
be left in normal room temperature until opened, or is it better to

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]

Old July 23rd 05, 02:36 PM
Dude Harry

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:43:30 GMT, "SuperZee via CatKB.com"
wrote:

Why don't you balance the can on your warm head and do a little dance for
your precious pussy.

There is a retard in every group.