Did my cat just killed a bird?

Old October 13th 03, 01:22 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"MacCandace" wrote in message
One died in my backyard a few of years ago. I came home form work &

there
was an obviously ill crow on back lawn, poor guy (or girl). He wandered
into the garden & I guess died in there someplace. 'Cause about an hour
later I heard a large amount of cawing that lasted perhaps 30 minutes -

lots
of other crows gathered in a sort of circle around the place I'd last seen
the sick one - I think they were holding a wake or funeral.

Cathy

Wow, that's pretty cool. I'll have to tell my cousin this as she

considers the
crow her personal totem. I've heard crows are exceedingly intelligent and

able
to use tools, etc. I read where they have been observed putting nuts in

the
path of cars and watching until the cars run over the nuts and then going

and
eating the innards.

Candace

Yep, I read that, too. Don't know if it was here, or as an OT post/thread
on another ng.

Also there was Betty the crow (she made the news maybe a year or so ago),
who fashioned a hook out of a straight piece of wire to fish up a little
tiny pail of food that was sitting inside a small cylinder - the little pail
of food was placed out of her reach if she had used just her beak or feet.

Then there was the crow who found a Styrofoam cup in a street & got inside
of it & rolled down the hill - the street was on a hill. When other crows
saw him/her doing that, they took turns - getting into the cup & rolling
down the hill & bringing the cup back up to the top of the hill again to
repeat the process - just having fun, I guess.

Also the story I heard from Jean Craighead George - author of "Julie of the
Wolves" & other wildlife books, at a conference. She told a story about a
semi-pet crow named Crowbar that they had when her daughter was little. Her
little girl was playing on the slide in their yard. Crowbar flew to the top
of the slide, and tried to imitate her, but he couldn't slide - being a
bird, his feet just "stuck". He looked around, flew over to the child's
sandbox, picked up an aluminum pie pan that was in the sandbox, placed it at
the top of the slide, stepped into it, and slid down.

I agree; smart birds. :-)

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Old October 13th 03, 01:46 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Cathy Friedmann composed with style:

Then there was the crow who found a Styrofoam cup in a street & got
inside of it & rolled down the hill - the street was on a hill.
When other crows saw him/her doing that, they took turns - getting
into the cup & rolling down the hill & bringing the cup back up to
the top of the hill again to repeat the process - just having fun,
I guess.

Funny!! I've observed birds quite a bit (hope to soon again, once
the strays are all adopted) and they *are* smart. I love bluejays.
My dad calls them trashcans with wings but I like them.

Old October 13th 03, 02:23 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Cheryl" wrote in message
In ,
Cathy Friedmann composed with style:

Then there was the crow who found a Styrofoam cup in a street & got
inside of it & rolled down the hill - the street was on a hill.
When other crows saw him/her doing that, they took turns - getting
into the cup & rolling down the hill & bringing the cup back up to
the top of the hill again to repeat the process - just having fun,
I guess.

Funny!! I've observed birds quite a bit (hope to soon again, once
the strays are all adopted) and they *are* smart. I love bluejays.
My dad calls them trashcans with wings but I like them.

Oh, I like Bluejays, too. Besides their good looks - pretty spots of color
in nature, when they yell their heads off because of potential danger, I
figure they're acting as warning systems for all of the other birds in the
immediate locale, too. Supposedly (I've read) they 'take over' feeders, but
I've not seen that happen. They take turns w/ the finches, chickadees,
whoever else happens to be around.

Old October 13th 03, 03:19 AM
MacCandace

Yep, I read that, too. Don't know if it was here, or as an OT post/thread
on another ng.

Yeah, I think it might have been. I was wondering if it was you who posted it
originally after I wrote that...

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old October 13th 03, 04:27 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"MacCandace" wrote in message
Yep, I read that, too. Don't know if it was here, or as an OT

post/thread
on another ng.

Yeah, I think it might have been. I was wondering if it was you who

posted it
originally after I wrote that...

Nope, that one - about the crows figuring out that they could place the nuts
in the paths of the car tires - wasn't me, although I did take part in that
thread, in whichever ng it was.

Old October 13th 03, 05:11 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
"Cathy Friedmann" wrote:

One died in my backyard a few of years ago. I came home form work & there
was an obviously ill crow on back lawn, poor guy (or girl). He wandered
into the garden & I guess died in there someplace. 'Cause about an hour
later I heard a large amount of cawing that lasted perhaps 30 minutes - lots
of other crows gathered in a sort of circle around the place I'd last seen
the sick one - I think they were holding a wake or funeral.

No doubt with refreshments.

Priscilla