stray tomcat and interferon revolt

Old May 23rd 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

Default stray tomcat and interferon revolt

On May 23, 7:43*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
Calvin, Why don't you listen to Phil? *He probably knows more about this
than your vet.

I'm not going to give interferon to this cat until
after I've had a conversation with my vet about
quality of life vs. length of life. We should have
had that conversation before he prescribed it.
Old May 23rd 09, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 23 May, 04:43, (---MIKE---) wrote:
Calvin, Why don't you listen to Phil? *He probably knows more about this
than your vet.

* * * * * * * * * --

Calvin
If Phil P told me the best treatment for a condition was to feed the
cat 20 tablets of LSD whilst adminstering 2 bottles of vodka rectally-
I'd go out and get the stuff!

He really does know what he is talking about, he's saying if your cat
currently has no symptoms then starting treatment now will help him
stay healthier longer I work in HIV and the best time to start
treatment is when the person has no symptoms- we work on the lab tests
(CD4 and viral loads) and many a patient who feels pretty damn good
gets started on treatment based on those tests and they go on for a
long time (we have patients who have been on therapy for 20+ years and
are still fine). Treating someone who has already got ill from HIV is
far more problematic.

Why not just try the interferon?

If the cat then shows signs of being ill then you can discuss it with
the vet even stop the treatment until you've seen the vet.

Or go back to your vet now and discuss your uneasiness about
interferon

Cats can be tougher than you think I've heard for example that
chemotherapy for cancer is a lot easier for cats than it is for Humans

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old May 23rd 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

On May 23, 2:17*pm, wrote:
On 23 May, 04:43, (---MIKE---) wrote:
[...]

I don't want to make the cat sick even once just to
find out if the interferon makes him sick or not. I
don't see any need to be hasty here. Also, it
seems reasonable to me to finish the antibiotics
first, and then we will know what effect the antibiotics
have had. If the cat gets interferon too, we won't know
which brought about the improvement, and you can
be sure everybody would claim it was the interferon.

At the very least what I am doing is providing data
on the effectiveness of antibiotics alone, and I see
clear improvement in the look and feel of the cat's
skin and fur already, even before today. So far the
cat has had the antibiotics 8 times, with 12 more
times to go, at 2 times per day.
Old May 23rd 09, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 23 May, 12:08, calvin wrote:

I don't want to make the cat sick even once just to
find out if the interferon makes him sick or not. *

Fair enough no one wants to make a cat sick- so how about now calling
the vet and discussing it with him or her?

Antibiotics will cure an infections but they have no effect wahatsover
in Feluk

I would really just call your vet and explain that you're uneasy about
the interferon because you've read/heard it makes the cat feel unwell.
I'd ask them to justify the prescription/dose and how that will impact
on the cats quality of life etc.
If your vet is halfway decent they'll take the time to go through the
options with you

Old May 23rd 09, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

On May 23, 4:04*pm, wrote:
On 23 May, 12:08, calvin wrote:
I don't want to make the cat sick even once just to
find out if the interferon makes him sick or not. *

Fair enough no one wants to make a cat sick- so how about now calling
the vet and discussing it with him or her?

Antibiotics will cure an infections but they have no effect wahatsover
in Feluk

I would really just call your vet and explain that you're uneasy about
the interferon because you've read/heard it makes the cat feel unwell.
I'd ask them to justify the prescription/dose and how that will impact
on the cats quality of life etc.
If your vet is halfway decent they'll take the time to go through the
options with you

The vet's assistant will call me around the end
time of the antibiotics, and I will tell her of the
condition of the cat, which I expect to be
excellent, and I will also tell her that I have
withheld the interferon, and ask her if I can
bring the cat back for the vet to look at again,
and possibly do the blood sample test for
feline leukemia before we start the interferon.
That way we will not be relying on the Snap
test, and the vet will see the cat looking good,
as opposed to his first sight of the cat looking
not so good.
Old May 24th 09, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"calvin" wrote in message
On May 23, 3:09 am, "Phil P." wrote:
What's the problem with administering IFN PO 7 on/7 off? Its no different
than if your cat had some other illness that required daily medication.

Because of what I read on the internet.

*Where* on the internet? Post the URLs. Does the information apply
*specifically* to cats? I think the information your read was extrapolated
from human studies.

If you want reliable information that pertains specifically to cats, read
Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook. Plumb's is the #1 veterinary drug
handbook.

"Adverse Effects/Warnings - When used orally in cats, adverse effects have
apparently not yet been noted. When used systemically in humans, adverse
effects have included anemia, leukope*nias, thrombocytopenia,
hepatotoxicity, neurotoxicity, changes in taste sensation, anorexia,
nau*sea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, "flu-like" syndrome, transient
hypotension, skin rashes and dry mouth. Except for the "flu-like "syndrome
most adverse effects are dose related and may vary depending on the
condition treated."

"When used orally in cats, adverse effects have apparently not yet been
noted." Is that clear enough for you? If not, see the #2 veterinary drug
handbook: "Saunders Handbook of Veterinary Drugs" by Mark Papich- Professor
of Clinical Pharmacology at NC State.

"Adverse Effects

Adverse effects have not been reported in animals. In humans, IM and SC
administration are associated with influenza-like syndrome. Many other
adverse effects have been reported in people, including bone marrow
suppression."

Now you have information from *reliable* sources. Now what's your excuse?
If you're going to believe what you read on the internet- at least make sure
its from reliable sources and pertains to *cats*.

It IS different from
another illness, because the vet said it is incurable;

So are diabetes, heart disease, CRF and a list of other diseases.

though
I'm not convinced that he has it.

I told you, tell your vet you want the IFA (immunofluorescent antibody
assay). A positive result means the infection has reached the bone marrow
and the cat is persistently infected.

I want to know about
symptoms, not about a test result.

You're *still* not getting it! The reason for giving your cat interferon is
so he *doesn't develop symptoms for a longer period of time* and may even
help your cat clear the virus. If you wait for your cat to develop
symptoms- it will be too late- interferon won't help at that point.

You should research FeLV so you understand how the disease progresses-
because you obviously don't know what your dealing with. There are 5 stages
of the disease- You have to stop it at Stage 2 and no later than Stage 3.
Here's a brief outline:

(1) viral replication in tonsils and pharyngeal lymph nodes;
(2) infection of a few circulating B lymphocytes and macrophages that
disseminate the virus;
(3) replication in lymphoid tissues, intestinal crypt epithelial cells, and
bone marrow precursor cells;
(4) release of infected neutrophils and platelets from the bone marrow into
the circulatory system; and
(5) infection of epithelial and glandular tissues, with subsequent shedding
of virus into the saliva and urine

An adequate immune response stops progression at stage 2 or 3 and forces the
virus into latency. Persistent viremia (stages 4 and 5) usually develops 4-6
weeks after infection, but could take as long as12 weeks. You're cat could
be persistently infected but asymptomatic for weeks to months or even years-
depending on the virus subgroup.

Now do you understand what the rush is to being IFN therapy?

and that (if what I read is true) will make the cat
sick continuously

You've been misinformed or you misunderstood what you read. The 7 on/7 off
protocol doesn't make cats sick. I've treated literally dozens of FeLV+

cats
with higher doses PO and *never* had a problem. A few cats lived ~6 years
post diagnosis, other lived 3-5, and some cats extinguished the infection-
however, I can't say

The leukemia test was done overnight, so I assume it was
what you call the Snap test.

The Snap test takes only 10 minutes.

Why should I not just continue

with the antibiotics as prescribed, and then have the vet look
at the cat again?

I didn't say you stop the antibiotics. Definitely finish the full course

of
antibiotics. But there is no reason why you shouldn't begin the IFN
therapy.

I see the cat up close and personal every

day, and he doesn't seem sick to me.

FeLV+ cats can remain asymptomatic for months to years- but they're still
sick. IFN therapy might prolong the period that your cat is asymptomatic.
IFN doesn't work in every cat- but it works in enough cats to justify

using
it.

His skin and fur

look and feel better to me, though they have a ways to go
before they look completely okay, he has a huge appetite, and
loves to be rubbed all over. If he was listless and not eating,
that would be different.

You're not getting this, are you? The reason for beginning IFN therapy

now
is so he might remain asymptomatic longer.

As long as the cat is improving, I don't see a need to rush
into anything that will make him sick.

7 on/7 off won't make him sick. I've treated enough cats with this

protocol
to know what I'm talking about.

I can't do the low-dose
thing until the vet provides me with what is to be used.

Of course.

Vet has already provided me with the 7-on/7-off
prescription and directions. Googling it shows
that it's the high dose. You call it the low dose.
Since I don't know whom to believe, I will continue
refusing to administer it.

I asked you to post the dose and route of administration the vet wrote on
the perscription but you did not. I'm asking you again: Post the dose in IU
and route (PO, SC, IM).

snip

I know we're not comunicating well.

I know- and its all my fault. I must try harder to be more tolerant of
obtuse and obstinate people.

Phil

Old May 24th 09, 07:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

--

Calvin
If Phil P told me the best treatment for a condition was to feed the
cat 20 tablets of LSD whilst adminstering 2 bottles of vodka rectally-
I'd go out and get the stuff!

The vodka must be Stoli - neat.

Old May 24th 09, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

On May 24, 2:55*am, "Phil P." wrote:
[...]

I wish you wouldn't put so much time and effort into this.
Just accept the fact that interferon treatment for this cat
is being delayed until my vet explains the risks, which
I should have asked him to do, but had not yet become
alarmed.

You can Google 'interferon feline side effects' and you
will see many hits, some of which support your claims,
and some of which support my fears.

I understand your frustration, but please remember that
you have not seen the cat. What I see is a healthy-
looking energetic affectionate cat with a huge appetite. His
unhealthy-looking skin and fur has undergone a remarkable
improvement since antibiotics were started last Tuesday.

The vet's label on the bottle of interferon, which I keep
refrigerated, says:

INTERFERON ORAL SOLUTION
GIVE 1 ML DAILY FOR 7 DAYS,
SKIP A WEEK [etc]

There is nothing more specific, either on the bottle or
on the invoice. All it says about the test is:

Leukemia/FIV test 35.50

I gave the price only in case it gives you a clue about
the kind of test done. As I said before, the cat was
kept overnight for the test and other things done
(ear treatment, de-worm, rabies shot). Normally,
for my other cats, de-worm and rabies shot are
done quickly and in my presence. But in this case
the vet didn't do anything in my presence. He
called me the next day to talk things over, but since
I had not Googled anything yet, I didn't know enough
to talk about possible side effects, quality of life, etc.
Old May 24th 09, 04:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Calvin

One thing I might add, which I discovered yesterday, is
that the cat has lost his fangs. Though I asked the vet
to examine ears, eyes, and mouth, maybe he forgot to
look in his mouth. I've never heard of a cat not having
his fangs, and have no idea what the cause might be.
Old May 24th 09, 04:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On 23 May, 23:55, "Phil P." wrote:

The vodka must be Stoli - neat.

Funnily enough I have a bottle of Stoli in the fridge- blast! Now
I'll have to keep it for some feline emergency whereas I was planning
to drink it myself sometime