Reactions to Videos for Cats

Old March 24th 04, 11:23 PM
CajunPrincess

Default Reactions to Videos for Cats

I'd be interested in reading the experiences of those who have one of
those videos made to entertain cats. I bought the DVD version of one
called "Cat Sitter" a while back and it's kind of a hoot to observe
Kona and Sabastian watching it. They both think it's interesting,
although Kona seems to hold his interest in it for a longer period of
time (we're wondering if Sabastian has a mild case of ADD:-)). I
generally put an ottoman in front of the TV so they can sit just a few
feet in front of "the action" if they want. Sometimes they will even
sit on the ottoman together while watching (they're more like roomates
than buddies and normally don't lounge real close to each other,
although they sometimes play "tag"). It's kind of comical to see two
cats sitting upright intently watching a TV screen and occasionally
moving their heads slightly to follow the action.

This particular vid has various loops of birds, mice, butterflys, etc.
The birds are definitely the favorite for my guys. There's one loop
where a bird takes off from a branch and flies off the screen and both
guys will occasionally jump down and go behind the TV when this
happens to see where the birdie went. :-)

Both will usually stop watching after some period of time, so I sort
of ration the amount of time they spend "at the movies" to preserve
their interest. It seems that after four of five days they forget
about it and it's almost a new experience again when they get to watch
it.

Interestingly, of the two Kona seems to have more interest in the
video but he is only occasionally interested in sitting at the window
and watching the outside. Sabastian, on the other hand, regularly
gets on the kitty ledge to watch the outside but has a little less
interest in the video.
Old March 25th 04, 04:52 AM
lrulan

I got Jazz one of these videos. I found out that for him to even notice it
he has to be at eye level with the tv screen. I rigged up the laundry basket
so he could sit in it with clothes piled high so he was kinda up about 2
feet off the floor. He was very interested in the squirrels, mice and birds.
When the aquarium came on he fell asleep!
Then the squirrels and mice came back on and he woke up and started watching
again.
I haven't put the tape into the vcr for a while now, so I am going to try it
again one of these days.
Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

om...

Old March 25th 04, 07:04 PM
m. L. Briggs

On 24 Mar 2004 14:23:43 -0800,
(CajunPrincess) wrote:

[...]

TuTu reacts about the same way. I have a great pix of her watching
Olympic ice skaters, but don't know how to post it. She occasionally
watches commercials.
Old March 26th 04, 01:53 AM
Lynn Allain

My three cats, who normally do not get along very well, will sit lined up on
the edge of the bed to watch Catnip Video. They attack the television screen
when the birds are on.
Lynn

--
---