[OT] Lessons from Geese

Old November 20th 06, 11:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default [OT] Lessons from Geese

Lessons We Learn From Geese
Author Unknown

Next fall when you see geese heading south for the winter... flying along in
V formation...you might consider what science has discovered as to why they
fly that way:

Fact 1:
As each goose flaps its wings it creates an "uplift" for the birds that
follow. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater
flying range than if each bird flew alone.
Lesson:
People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where
they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust
of one another.

Fact 2:
When a goose falls out of formation, it suddenly feels the drag and
resistance of flying alone. It quickly moves back into formation to take
advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front of it.
Lesson:
If we have as much sense as a goose we stay in formation with those headed
where we want to go. We are willing to accept their help and give our help
to others.

Fact 3:
When the lead goose tires, it rotates back into the formation and another
goose flies to the point position.
Lesson:
It pays to take turns doing the hard tasks and sharing leadership. As with
geese, people are interdependent on each other's skills, capabilities and
unique arrangements of gifts, talents or resources.

Fact 4:
The geese flying in formation honk to encourage those up front to keep up
their speed.
Lesson:
We need to make sure honking is encouraging. In groups where there is
encouragement the production is much greater. The power of encouragement (to
stand by one's heart or core values and encourage the heart and core of
others) is the quality of honking we seek.

Fact 5:
When a goose gets sick, wounded, or shot down, two geese drop out of
formation and follow it down to help and protect it. They stay with it until
it dies or is able to fly again. Then, they launch out with another
formation or catch up with the flock.
Lesson:
If we have as much sense as geese, we will stand by each other in difficult
times as well as when we are strong.

Yowie

Old November 20th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lisa Katt

Yowie skrev i meddelandet ...
[...]

I have never thought about it before, but do you have geese in Australia?
And do you have migrating birds and do they fly NORTH for the winter?
Elisabet

Old November 20th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 22:45:39 +1100, Yowie wrote:

[...]

Yesterday.November 19th, I saw a large flock of big birds flying in V
formation -- heading NORTH. I can't figure this one out as winter has
begun and it is cold with quite a lot of snow in the mountains. MLB

Old November 20th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lisa Katt wrote:

Yowie skrev i meddelandet ...

Next fall when you see geese heading south for the winter...

I have never thought about it before, but do you have geese in Australia?
And do you have migrating birds and do they fly NORTH for the winter?
Elisabet

That was my first thought, too! Apparently that piece was not written
by someone living in the southern hemisphere!

Joyce
Old November 20th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Yowie" wrote in message
Lessons We Learn From Geese
Author Unknown

Having kept a pair of geese for a number of years, I was surprised by their
intelligence; there is no way I would ever eat one.
I had a colleague that always had a goose for Christmas, after a few tales
about my geese she cannot bring herself to eat a goose again. She claims I
ruined her Christmases, but I said I don't care!

Tweed

Old November 20th 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Lisa Katt" wrote in message
news

Yowie skrev i meddelandet ...
[...]

No wwe don't have geese, at least, not 'wild' geese. Some people keep them
as pets, but those don't migrate.

Our migratory birds tend to migrate to where the water is, so they fly north
in summer.

Yowie

Old November 21st 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Yowie" wrote in message
[...]

That's very profound, Yowie. In my Toastmasters club, each meeting begins
with an inspirational or thought-provoking message. I'm going to save that
to use the next time it's my turn to give that message.

Joy

Old November 21st 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

One of the pleasures of living in the Sacramento River Valley is watching
the migrating birds all fall winter and spring. I just love watching a long
skein of geese or other water bird fly over as they move from one feeding
area to another or as they look for evening roosts.

I'll remember this post and its lessons when I watch them this winter.

Jo

Old November 26th 06, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Yowie wrote:

Lessons We Learn From Geese
Author Unknown

Next fall when you see geese heading south for the winter... flying along in
V formation...you might consider what science has discovered as to why they
fly that way:

Fact 1:
As each goose flaps its wings it creates an "uplift" for the birds that
follow. By flying in a "V" formation, the whole flock adds 71% greater
flying range than if each bird flew alone.
Lesson:
People who share a common direction and sense of community can get where
they are going quicker and easier because they are traveling on the thrust
of one another.

snip
Yowie

Great lessons! Thanks.