Religious door to door callers are dense....

Old February 17th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

Default Religious door to door callers are dense....

wrote in message
Sherry wrote:

The problem with the Mormon missionaries is, I knew they were just
young boys very far away from. The were just so nice it was impossible
to be rude to them. Luckily you could spot them a mile away; they had
this cookie-cutter look; and I'd just not answer the door. That's
rudeness of another form, but if you ever let them in, you couldn't
get rid of them.

I don't agree that it's rude not to answer the door. Why are you
obligated to do that? They're the ones invading your privacy. I don't
think that makes them entitled to an open door.

I never get religious people at my door, but I do get the kids selling
candy to send someone to college, etc. I always feel bad saying no to
them, but (1) I don't really know if any given child trying to sell me
candy is legit, and (2) I really don't need a box full of sugar in my
house!

I don't have a problem with children I recognize from the neighborhood
selling things for school fund raising. I just feel sorry for them and
think door to door sales by children are a very bad idea.

I do have a problem with older kids I've seen going door to door selling
candy etc at an inflated price to raise money for "college" etc.

They aren't local kids. They are driven around in groups by adults and
dropped off in neighborhoods to make sales. Far too often then are a long
way away from home and are expected to "earn their keep" ie motel rooms and
food before they get any money and are pretty much trapped in the business.

While I feel terrible for them, I'm also somewhat afraid of them and the
groups they travel around in. And I never buy anything from them. I figure
anything they sell just encourages the practice to continue and gets more
kids involved.

Note: Watch out for job interviews being held in motel rooms targeted at
kids that are eighteen, but barely.

Jo

Old February 17th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:44b6b0b84818663593fb5d870827c2fd.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...
This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

JW's are quite possibly THE most annoying people on the planet. I have a
BIG sign on my front door that says

"No salespeople, NO religious callers, NO political canvasing. Official
callers must have ID."

To me, that is perfectly clear. I don't like to be disturbed by people I
am not expecting as it disrupts the cats and it invades my privacy.

JW's just don't get the hint though. Apparently they are immune to signs
telling them to get lost. So, the doorbell goes at 8am this morning (a
saturday), and I get up and answer it because it might have been my
elderly neighbour needing help, which I don't mind at all. BUT, it was a
pair of bloody JW's!!!

As I pointed out that I REALLY wasn't interested, and by the way they
should learn to read, Miss Lily Whiskers slipped out between my legs and
into my front garden. The cats are absolutely not allowed out of the
front door because I live on what can be a busy road at times as it is
used as a rat-run in rush hour. That would have usually been fine as
she's done it once before and I normally just pick her up. But this
time, the JW's spooked her and she ran into the street. Fortunately she
was missed by the car coming up the street at the time, but it scared
her badly and she is now really spooked.

To say I wasn't polite to the JW's was a bit of an understatement. I
think I might have gone a bit over board when I called them illiterate
morons though. ;o)

Write to the local Kingdom Hall and point out that by knocking on your
door they a) broke the law by trespassing, when a sign clearly said they
were not allowed on the property and b) were therefore making themselve
totally liable for anything that may have happened to your cat since it
was their *illegal* visit that caused her to escape.

Demand that your address be removed from their list, and that any further
uninvited Jehovah's Witnesses will be treated as both harassment and
trespassing and the police will be called. Include a photo of the sign at
your door and a description of the people who ignored it.

And *phew*, glad Miss Lily Whiskers was OK!

I do have to defend some individual JW's though. An elderly gentleman
knocked on my door at about 8am on a Saturday morning, and I answered the
door with the mother of all flus. He took one look at me and said "Are you
alright? Can I call someone? Is there anything I can do?" After I grunted
"no", he apologised for disturbing me and said "I hope you feel better
soon. I'll pray for you", and went on his way.

That incident made me realise that my assumptions about *all* JWs was
wrong.

Yowie

Oh, the few I know personally are very nice people. I have no problem with
them or their beliefs. And they usually go away if you ask them to. Its
the ones who don't I have a big problem with.

Jo

Old February 17th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wafflycat wrote:

"Helen Miles" wrote in message
news:44b6b0b84818663593fb5d870827c2fd.76411@mygate .mailgate.org...

This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

I am reminded of the story that appeared in the press some time ago. I'm
going from the memory amoeba in my brain and it's not 100% effective, so
this may not be entirely correct..

Basically a woman was so tee'd off with the local JWs calling at her
house despite her not being interested and saying so, she decided to get
her own back. She started interrupting their meetings. She did not join
in the meetings, she interrupted them to start talking about stuff she
was interested in but they weren't. This finally caused them to take the
hint ;-)

She was lucky it didn't get her arrested! (JW's seem to be
singularly devoid of humour.)
Old February 17th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat

"Stormmee" wrote

| My parents own a farm, in very rural Missouri, they live on a road that is
| gravel, to get to this road you take a blacktop for a few miles, their
| driveway is 1/3 mile long, My father has a gate at the beginning, he tried
| to be polite, he closed the gate, they opened it, he put up a sign, they
| ignored it, he locked the gate, they climbed over it... we were discussing
| this one day, after the tenth visit... my dad says... next time they knock
| am answering the door naked... gonna invite them in for more than
coffee...
| my mom is saying no you're not... a few months later I ask him how it was
| going... He smiles and says, they haven't been back since their last
visit
| a month ago... I say why... Daddy says that doesn't matter but I am sure
| they won't be back, Lee

This story reminds me of what my buddy David and I did to some Mormon
missionaries in Flagstaff. We were visiting a friend and had parked near his
house and when we left headed toward the car - my minivan - we saw them
headed down the block toward us. So we got into the back of the van, opened
the screened back windows, pulled the curtains, and started making noise and
jumping around to make the van shake, rattle and roll as they walked by!

Old February 17th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

Helen do this next time they come to the door. Tell them you will listen to
them if they can answer this question.
The question is If Adam and eve bore 2 son and they took wives. Who did
they marry when there were only 4 people alive at that time. Tell them
answer this if not leave and don't not come back till they can answer it and
close the door. I love screwing with bible thumpers. I have a sign almost
similar to yours except I call the law on them since I have quite a few
other signs that say no trespassing under penalty of law

[...]

Helen M (who is very relieved that Miss Lily Whiskers is fine)

Old February 17th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood JeepŠ

In . net,
Ketzl's Dad purred:
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:25:05 -0500, Sherry wrote:

I got into a very heated exchange with somebody collecting
donations for breast cancer research. She was just flat rude. I don't
care how worthwhile the cause is, you can't give money to every
organization that calls.

Whenever anyone headed toward Rude Territory, I would press a button
on my phone's dial pad and say, "Ok, I need to record this
conversation, to be sure of the facts after we hang up. Let's start
with you identifying yourself by name, first name only if you prefer,
and the name of the organization you represent."

They usually calmed down after that.

But hey, don't you have your phone numbers registered with Do Not
Call (at least in the US)? I never get those calls anymore.

The only calls we get are from political organizations wanting donations.
One was *very* insistant on us giving money - even though I repeatedly told
him that we couldn't afford to right now, as our cat was sick and been at
the vets for over a week, and the bill would be enormous (no cat really
sick, but you never know - we like to keep a bit of money on hand just in
case this would happen).

The guy kept repeating "You don't want Hillary to end up in the oval office,
do you?".

I replied, "No (sorry - I'm a Clinton-o-phobe ), and if you're so
concerned, you'd better get off the phone with me and try and drum up a
candidate that can beat her at the polls."

That ended the conversation.

Old February 18th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

JW's are quite possibly THE most annoying people on the planet. I have
a BIG sign on my front door that says
"No salespeople, NO religious callers, NO political canvasing. Official
callers must have ID." [...]
JW's just don't get the hint though. Apparently they are immune to signs
telling them to get lost.

People like to believe this, but they have always had a policy that
they will not call on people who don't want them to.

Have you tried simply saying "don't visit me, please"?

I have no time for their belief system, but their adherents are as
friendly and sincere a bunch of people as I've ever met.

(You may be confusing them with the Mormons, who are a bunch of
fascist psycho thugs).

Old February 18th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

I usually tell JW's and those of such ilk that I am the Pope, Admissions
Committee, and Membership Body of The First Church of Liz, Reformed. That or
just borrow from the Subgenius and say May Slack Be With You.

Blessed be,
Baha

Mark Edwards wrote:
[snip intrusive JWs]

My offspring, in his subtle manner keeps muttering about
going to one of their meetings dressed in a Flying

[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]

I like his style ;-)

There is also The Church of Absolute Zero (sorry, no url handy - I'm at a
Chinese restaurant at the moment), which "brochure" starts out with "Is
Nothing sacred?"

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Old February 18th 07, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

And I am reminded of an episode of that most sacred of broadcasts, The Nanny,
where Sylvia says she once went naked to the apartmetn door to surprise her
husband...

"But in the meantime ya nevah saw anothah Jehovah's Witness in our building
again!"

Shalom,
Baha

wafflycat wrote:
This is a minor rant, so bear with me...

I am reminded of the story that appeared in the press some time ago. I'm
going from the memory amoeba in my brain and it's not 100% effective, so
this may not be entirely correct..

Basically a woman was so tee'd off with the local JWs calling at her house
despite her not being interested and saying so, she decided to get her own
back. She started interrupting their meetings. She did not join in the
meetings, she interrupted them to start talking about stuff she was
interested in but they weren't. This finally caused them to take the hint
;-)

Old February 18th 07, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
pmendhall

We have a similar way of dealing with the door to door callers. Our
doorbell broke and needs to be replaced. I have thought several times that
I need to replace the doorbell, but after seeing all the "odd" folks who
come knocking, I'm not sure I'm going to. They ring the bell, which of
course doesn't ring, and finally go away.

Diane

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message
I don't really get them at the door much - or I don't know if I do -
because I don't have a doorbell and mostly don't hear people knocking,
especially if I'm in the back away from the front door. When I moved in, I
thought "No doorbell!! I really must buy one." but as time passed, I began
to see the advantages of not having one.