Some of us had curry duck

Old May 21st 10, 05:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

Default Some of us had curry duck

One day before my birthday Dave took me to Springfield for Thai food. One of
the dishes we ordered was panang curry with duck. Although it was incredibly
scrumptious, we didn't eat it all, so the leftovers came home to share with
the clowder. Abelard always gets first crack at such treats, and he turned
this one down in favor of Friskies Shreds. Therefore the curry duck ended up
in the general plate. Everyone had a sniff or a lick. The ones who ended up
eating the delicacy were Baby Eyes and Tommy. The rest opted for Iams canned
lamb.

I could live on Thai food. I love all of it (no MSG, please!), but Thai is
at the top of the list, followed by Japanese -- ah, natto and seaweed!!!
Dillon's had Gekkeikan plum wine on sale, 30% off, so I bought myself two
bottles of that. Probably the last plum wine I will ever buy. I think it's
better for me than chocolate.

Old May 21st 10, 07:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In et,
Pat typed:
[...]

I love Thai, Vietnamese, Korean & Japanese food too, but the mere thought of
nattojust turns my stomach, never mind the smell. Then again, I like
vegemite, which means that there is truly no accounting for taste :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natto

Yowie

Old May 21st 10, 08:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Yowie" wrote in message
In et,
Pat typed:
[...]

Ahem. Penang is in Malaysia. They wouldn't serve something called Penang
Duck in Thailand unless it was at the equivalent of a tourist trap. I've
been to both places. The cuisines are as unique as the cultures. It's like
calling Japanese food Chinese or vice versa. No offense intended, but I
literally have been to both countries. They're very different.

Jill

Old May 21st 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

jmcquown wrote:

Ahem. Penang is in Malaysia. They wouldn't serve something called Penang
Duck in Thailand unless it was at the equivalent of a tourist trap. I've
been to both places. The cuisines are as unique as the cultures. It's like
calling Japanese food Chinese or vice versa. No offense intended, but I
literally have been to both countries. They're very different.

Sure, I wouldn't confuse Chinese food with Japanese, but many cultures
share elements of their cuisines among themselves, and neighboring
countries often have a lot of similarities in their cooking styles. Each
cuisine as a whole is unique, but specific dishes might be shared, or
variations on the same dish might be on the menu in several countries.

Joyce

--
The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in
the morning feeling just terrible. -- Jean Kerr
Old May 21st 10, 10:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

wrote
| jmcquown wrote:
|
| Ahem. Penang is in Malaysia. They wouldn't serve something called
Penang
| Duck in Thailand unless it was at the equivalent of a tourist trap.

| Sure, I wouldn't confuse Chinese food with Japanese, but many cultures
| share elements of their cuisines among themselves, and neighboring
| countries often have a lot of similarities in their cooking styles. Each
| cuisine as a whole is unique, but specific dishes might be shared, or
| variations on the same dish might be on the menu in several countries.

What jmcquown writes is the equivalent of saying that if French dressing is
on a menu in the USA, the restaurant must be a tourist trap, because France
isn't in the USA. Same for French onion soup, Canadian bacon, Turkish coffee
and dozen of other examples that do not readily spring to mind at the
moment.

Old May 22nd 10, 01:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
"Yowie" wrote in message
In et,
Pat typed:
[...]

Funny thing was, I looked up Panang (the word Pat used) and the
references were all to Thai food and restaurants, though one did
mention that it was a reference to a city off the west coast of
Malaysia. Then I looked up Penang and that led to all the stuff
about Malaysia.

Jo

Old May 22nd 10, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Pat" wrote:
[...]

You'd fit in with the crew I usually have lunch with at work. Our
first choice is Thai, followed by Japanese, Indian, Cambodian,
Chinese, Mexican, Italian, and French.
Old May 22nd 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Takayuki

"Yowie" wrote:
In et,
I love Thai, Vietnamese, Korean & Japanese food too, but the mere thought of
nattojust turns my stomach, never mind the smell. Then again, I like
vegemite, which means that there is truly no accounting for taste :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natto

I'm very fond of natto, and whenever I go to a different Japanese
restaurant, I inquire if they have it - usually they don't, but some
do.

I was surprised to find that only about 50% of Japanese like natto,
with the highest concentration of natto-likers being in the Kanto
plain (as in Lord Toranaga, lord of the Kanto, if you've ever read or
watched Shogun). I'm originally from the Kanto region, which must be
why I like it, although I seldom get to eat it.
Old May 22nd 10, 06:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_4_]

"Takayuki" wrote

| I'm very fond of natto, and whenever I go to a different Japanese
| restaurant, I inquire if they have it - usually they don't, but some
| do.
|
| I was surprised to find that only about 50% of Japanese like natto,
| with the highest concentration of natto-likers being in the Kanto
| plain (as in Lord Toranaga, lord of the Kanto, if you've ever read or
| watched Shogun). I'm originally from the Kanto region, which must be
| why I like it, although I seldom get to eat it.

No Japanese markets near you? I keep a large supply in the freezer. I used
to make it myself (not difficult at all) but haven't had time lately.

Old May 22nd 10, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

On May 20, 9:58*pm, "Pat" wrote:
-- ah, natto and seaweed!!!

What is natto?

Dillon's had Gekkeikan plum wine on sale, 30% off, so I bought myself two
bottles of that. Probably the last plum wine I will ever buy. I think it's
better for me than chocolate.

I don't know about plum wine but I love the plum sauce you get with
Chinese dishes like crispy fried duck- if we're ordering a chow mein
then I get a cup of that to add to it

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs