Can kneading be a sign of pain or unhappiness?

Old June 22nd 10, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lenny J.

Default Can kneading be a sign of pain or unhappiness?

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a cat with a tumor. She has
gone downhill quite a bit. I'm now having to decide what to do. One of
the things that is throwing me off is how she sometimes briefly kneads
me. It might only be just once or twice that she does it, usually when
she sits on my lap. I don't know what to make of that. Could she be in
pain or discomfort and still knead me as a sign of affection? I just
don't know what it means. I don't know if she wants me to continue
letting her fight this tumor or if she's ready to go. If I knew what
kneading means exactly, it would help my decision. Just like with
purring, the fact that she's purring doesn't necessarily mean she's
happy, she could be in pain. Does kneading work the same way?
Old June 22nd 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

Lenny J. wrote:
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a cat with a tumor. She has
gone downhill quite a bit. I'm now having to decide what to do. One of
the things that is throwing me off is how she sometimes briefly kneads
me. It might only be just once or twice that she does it, usually when
she sits on my lap. I don't know what to make of that. Could she be in
pain or discomfort and still knead me as a sign of affection? I just
don't know what it means. I don't know if she wants me to continue
letting her fight this tumor or if she's ready to go. If I knew what
kneading means exactly, it would help my decision. Just like with
purring, the fact that she's purring doesn't necessarily mean she's
happy, she could be in pain. Does kneading work the same way?

IMHO She loves being with you. MLB
Old June 23rd 10, 01:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc[_2_]

Suddenly, without warning, Lenny J. exclaimed (6/22/2010 3:06 PM):
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a cat with a tumor. She has
gone downhill quite a bit. I'm now having to decide what to do. One of
the things that is throwing me off is how she sometimes briefly kneads
me. It might only be just once or twice that she does it, usually when
she sits on my lap. I don't know what to make of that. Could she be in
pain or discomfort and still knead me as a sign of affection? I just
don't know what it means. I don't know if she wants me to continue
letting her fight this tumor or if she's ready to go. If I knew what
kneading means exactly, it would help my decision. Just like with
purring, the fact that she's purring doesn't necessarily mean she's
happy, she could be in pain. Does kneading work the same way?

If she's kneading where she didn't before, she may be needing a bit more
reassurance. It could mean she's not feeling well, or it could mean
she's trying to comfort *you*.

jmc
Old June 23rd 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Lenny J." wrote in message
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a cat with a tumor. She has
gone downhill quite a bit. I'm now having to decide what to do. One of
the things that is throwing me off is how she sometimes briefly kneads
me. It might only be just once or twice that she does it, usually when
she sits on my lap. I don't know what to make of that. Could she be in
pain or discomfort and still knead me as a sign of affection?

She is comforting herself with something that she did in kittenhood to her
mother.

Old June 23rd 10, 01:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"jmc" wrote
If she's kneading where she didn't before, she may be needing a bit more
reassurance. It could mean she's not feeling well, or it could mean she's
trying to comfort *you*.

Yes indeed.

Old June 23rd 10, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

If she's kneading where she didn't before, she may be needing a bit more
reassurance. *It could mean she's not feeling well, or it could mean
she's trying to comfort *you*.

I agree. Hugs to you. She'll tell you when the time is near.
Old June 23rd 10, 10:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cheryl[_3_]

"Lenny J." wrote in message
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a cat with a tumor. She has
gone downhill quite a bit. I'm now having to decide what to do. One of
the things that is throwing me off is how she sometimes briefly kneads
me. It might only be just once or twice that she does it, usually when
she sits on my lap. I don't know what to make of that. Could she be in
pain or discomfort and still knead me as a sign of affection? I just
don't know what it means. I don't know if she wants me to continue
letting her fight this tumor or if she's ready to go. If I knew what
kneading means exactly, it would help my decision. Just like with
purring, the fact that she's purring doesn't necessarily mean she's
happy, she could be in pain. Does kneading work the same way?

I know exactly what you're talking about and I've asked the same question.
I think like others that she is trying to comfort herself. It could be pain
or just generally not feeling well.

A poster here long ago posted a long list of things to tell you it's time
for them to go. Lyn. She's posted here recently, but not often. She
basically said to list the things that used to make your cat happy and
content, and when the list gets down to one or zero, it might be time. I
wish I could quote it directly but I can't find it.

Old June 24th 10, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB[_2_]

Cheryl wrote:
"Lenny J." wrote in message
[...]

I'd like to bet that Mark finds it. Hope so, as I would like to read it
too. Best wishes. MLB

Kneading jmcquown[_2_] Cat anecdotes 4 May 14th 10 05:20 PM
Cat kneading and BALANCING on me Alissa Cat health & behaviour 4 March 13th 07 09:21 PM
My take on the negative stigma biological unhappiness! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 June 1st 05 09:01 PM
My take on the negative stigma biological unhappiness! [email protected] Cat anecdotes 0 June 1st 05 08:28 PM
Kneading (and more) at night Another Dave Cat health & behaviour 3 January 10th 05 08:29 PM