Indoor cat..quality of life?

Old September 10th 04, 06:02 PM
Alison

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

There certainly are two sides to this debate. There are more than
two sides, in fact. That's what debates are about. It's a

discussion,
FCS. Anyone who feels strongly about anything would "come across
as feeling superior" to you, because you lack the skills to counter
the basic arguments. Once you've done the "give me a specific
example" and the creative snipping that takes comments out
of context, all you have left is "nice superior attitude."

Fortunately,
posturing doesn't get you much.

Mary, you remind me of our PM , he makes things up in his head ,
believes his own lies , denies everything even when it placed under
its nose and ignores what he doesn't like.
It's impossible to debate anything with you; you simply don't debate
and you have no intention of debating, full stop.
If you are going to make allegations then you have to be prepared to
prove they are true if called to do so.
Now , you said this

one of cats being "just animals" vs the one of cats being

family
members
essentially equal to humans in value--is also a factor in the

indoor/outdoor
issue. I see this in the posts of the people who post from the

UK;

You haven't produced any of these alleged posts so why should we
accept this statement ?
You might have misconstrued what was said or perhaps they're figments
of your imagination .
BTW it's interesting to see you haven't responded to Tracy's post .
Alison

Old September 10th 04, 06:26 PM
Alison

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

"Jeannie" wrote

There is. And I think the underlying attitude I mention in other

posts--the one of cats being "just animals" vs the one of cats

being family members
essentially equal to humans in value--is also a factor in the

indoor/outdoor issue. I see this in the posts of the people who

post from
the UK;

Who in this thread has made a statement like this?

Who said anyone did? And who WOULD actually state something like

this?

You see , ducking and diving and avoiding , way to go Mary!

That's why I said "underlying attitude." I can't prove an

underlying attitude.

maybe because it's all in your mind?

But I know it is there, in many people. How do I know? Their

behavior tells me
that the cat is dispensable. My friend, for example (who was from
Scotland, by
the way) a great horse and dog and cat woman--who stated outright that
she would
rather her cats have shorter lives--in other words die young--than not
be allowed
outside and she ALWAYS lived in busy urban areas. So far she has
killed three cats.
THAT tells me that she can bear to lose them.

Did she say that they were *just* animals ?

The most recent
is declawed, and I can only hope this stupid bitch is keeping him
inside.

How did she get a cat declawed in the UK or are you telling porkies?

You're judging four countries on a friend who lives in Scotland,
don't you think that unreasonable?
Do you honestly believe there is not one person who thinks this in
the US or any other country in the world? I don't think so .
If you want to take in "general" terms then I expect there are people
in the Uk who do think that as there woild be in any country but on
the whole no , they don't.

Many, many people let ther cats out in the US and Canada , can you
tell me what reasons they give for letting their cats out?

Jeannette Who thinks this way?

Mary I believe I have hit a nerve.

sigh , avoiding a question you can't answer *again*

A clue for you, Princess: I have been reading this group and
all of the cat groups for years. Want to see manifestations of
this attitude? Google for it. But you know it exists. Look in the
mirror.

This means :
*I've spent all night Googling and can't find diddlysquat*
Alison

Old September 10th 04, 06:49 PM
Alison

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

I know that this is true. It is one reason why I am so vehement
with people from across the pond who argue in favor of
cats being outside. Behind even the most measured words
(such as Steve G.'s) there is an underlying, deeply entrenched
cultural more that probably finds its roots in the Romantic
period. The glorification and simultaneous demonizing
and eroticizing of nature. :-) It's in the text books, people.
It's a kneejerk reaction to hundreds of years on conditioning,
not a response to rational thought.

LOL, This is fab , where did you copy it from .
I like the glorification and simultaneous demonizing and eroticising
of nature sentence.
Alison

Old September 10th 04, 07:13 PM
Alison

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

"Jeannie" wrote

a snip from one of Mary's earlier posts directed at me-

You *are* the stupid bitch .....

Mary wrote Um. Genius? This has already been covered.
If you're going to comment on the thread, try
reading the entire thread.

You denied calling anyone a bitch and I proved you wrong , Jeannie
is confirming that it was her you called a bitch . *Now* its been
covered.

Do you know what "mental dwarf" means? Do you think it
takes a genius to figure out from Alison's first snide
comment that she's pkbing me?

I haven't made snide remarks to you , you are the one doing that.
I asked you to confirm what you meant and you wouldn't so I gave
two valid suggestions as to why.

Or would be IF she could

prove I am American? Any sixth grader got that the first go
round. Another clue for you: just because someone decides not
to acknowledge the implication of a snide comment does not
mean that they don't get it.

I don't care whether you are American or not.
You wrote in a post to Steve :
""Ahh, now who is assuming? You assume I am American
just because I love here? You live here too. And lots of
Brits who do have dropped their native spelling
conventions.""

I simply ask what nationality you were in response to this .
You're simple making a big song and dance about it and twisting
things in your ususal montonous way.

What we have here, in both you and

your good buddy Alison, is yet another example of the English
tendency to overestimate your own intelligence. Truly amusing.

At least we have intelligence to over estimate.
Alison

Old September 10th 04, 07:27 PM
Alison

"Mary" wrote in message
m...

"
And needless to say, not everyone who lets their cats out has given

adequate
thought to the dangers in their particular neighborhood. In the end

the
outdoors
is still far more dangerous than the indoors, generally speaking.

When I said about warning people of the dangers of letting your cat
outside you said this:

Anyone who has to be warned that allowing their cats to roam
means opening them up to ANYTHING that comes their way
are truly and irrevokably stupid. You love them or you don't.
You keep them safe or you don't. It's your choice.

If someone has given great thought before letting their cat out and
decided there is virtually no risk , would you still say they didn't
love their cat?
Alison

Old September 10th 04, 07:30 PM
Alison