Hot Heads

Old January 25th 05, 04:47 PM
Adrian

O J wrote:
Hi All,

My collection can't be the only ones who show this behavior. When
there's a patch of sunlight on the floor, many cats will lie in to
soak up some rays -- everyone knows this. At night though, when the
lights are on, mine will put their head almost up against the light
bulb from a table lamp and let the heat from the bulb hit them right
in the head.

I have one of those halogen bulb desk lamps and I'm constantly worried
when Sumo is on my desk. He gets his head about one inch from it and
will let his tail swish up against it when he's coming and going from
my desk top. I suppose I shouldn't worry, if he was going to burn
himself he'd have done it already.

I wonder what it is that makes them feel good.

Regards and Purrs,
O J

When I was small we had a convector heater, Figaro, our cat would sick
her head under it, often causing her fur to smoulder. I don't think it
did a lot of harm, she lived for more than twenty years.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old January 28th 05, 05:45 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:26:50 GMT, O J wrote:

Hi All,

My collection can't be the only ones who show this behavior. When
there's a patch of sunlight on the floor, many cats will lie in to
soak up some rays -- everyone knows this. At night though, when the
lights are on, mine will put their head almost up against the light
bulb from a table lamp and let the heat from the bulb hit them right
in the head.

I have one of those halogen bulb desk lamps and I'm constantly worried
when Sumo is on my desk. He gets his head about one inch from it and
will let his tail swish up against it when he's coming and going from
my desk top. I suppose I shouldn't worry, if he was going to burn
himself he'd have done it already.

I wonder what it is that makes them feel good.

Yep, both mine love lamps. Little Bit usually lets Sammy have first
chance on the best napping places - but the bedside lamp belongs to LB
and she'll swat Sammy if she finds her trying it out. I've even
watched LB chase Sammy away from the lamp and not lay there, just to
make sure Sam knows who the lamp belongs to. Sammy does have her
special lamp, though, the one which hangs over the bird cage. The cage
is a floor model and has a hanging lamp which Sammy would bang her
head on if she isn't careful. Oh, and for anyone worried about it,
Sammy has been climbing up the side of the cage since she was a kitten
and the birds don't mind. When Sammy first started climbing the cage
Sunny used to bite her toes, but now she just waits until Sammy is
napping and occassionally reaches up and pulls her fur through the
bars.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy and Little Bit

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old January 28th 05, 06:10 AM
John F. Eldredge

wrote:

[...]

After my father retired, he used a wood stove for much of his winter
heat. His cat would lie down in front of the stove, only a foot or
so away from the dully-glowing cast iron side. Sometimes my father
would have to reach down, gently grasp the cat's legs, and roll her
over farther away from the stove after the smell of scorching fur
became pronounced. Apparently, her fur was a good enough insulator
that she found the radiant heat pleasantly warm, not scorching hot as
it was to a human at that same distance from the stove.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

We Need Our Heads Examined Tanada Cat anecdotes 68 November 4th 04 06:50 PM
Heads Up :-\)Liz Cat anecdotes 12 September 7th 04 04:22 AM
"Putting on Clothes With Mommy" CatNipped Cat anecdotes 76 July 8th 04 11:49 PM
Just A Heads Up :-\)Liz Cat anecdotes 3 May 27th 04 08:26 PM