Another cat tail

Old September 26th 03, 01:33 AM
David Yehudah

They also make one heck of a racket when you step on one nesting hidden
in tall grass. So does Patty when she's the one who steps on it. :-)
Between the two of them they made more racket than a trash can full of
empty beer cans rolling down a rocky slope.

JHBennett wrote:
"As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." - Arthur Carlson

I heard that Gordon Jump died, just recently. Wild turkeys can fly, BTW.
Cheers,
Jack

Old September 26th 03, 08:00 AM
JHBennett

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
but not the domestic ones that the US commonly buys at the grocery for

their
annual Thanksgiving Dinner.

Very true. I knew a turkey farmer and, according to him, the results of
selective breeding for holiday meals is a bird so stupid it cannot survive
on it's own. The shadow of an aircraft will send them into a panic, where
they will rush against a fence, trying to get away from the *giant hawk* and
crush many to death. They also had to round them up, getting them into
shelter, whenever a storm hit. They would just sit against the fence and
freeze to death, with a warm barn a few feet away.
Cheers,
Jack

Old September 26th 03, 05:42 PM
David Yehudah

Hi, Evelyn
They don't have to clip the wings of birds raised fro the table;
they're too fat to fly, that being a side effect of having been
especially bred for heft.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote:

but not the domestic ones that the US commonly buys at the grocery for their
annual Thanksgiving Dinner.

Don't they clip the wings of "factory-farmed" fowl so they can't? I
thought the only truly "flightless" birds were penguins, ostriches and
emu.

--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©

Old September 26th 03, 06:08 PM
Jo Firey

"JHBennett" wrote in message

"Magic Mood Jeep©" wrote in message
but not the domestic ones that the US commonly buys at the grocery for

their
annual Thanksgiving Dinner.

Very true. I knew a turkey farmer and, according to him, the results of
selective breeding for holiday meals is a bird so stupid it cannot survive
on it's own. The shadow of an aircraft will send them into a panic, where
they will rush against a fence, trying to get away from the *giant hawk* and
crush many to death. They also had to round them up, getting them into
shelter, whenever a storm hit. They would just sit against the fence and
freeze to death, with a warm barn a few feet away.
Cheers,
Jack

I'm quite sure the domestic variety could not fly even withour wing clipping. Far to
much breast to wing ratio. And penned to close for a good take off in any case. A
friend who used to raise them said they are so stupid that if you aren't careful in
the rain they will stand looking up into the rain with their beaks open and literally
drown.

Jo

Old September 26th 03, 08:16 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:08:38 -0700, "Jo Firey"
wrote:

"JHBennett" wrote in message

[...]

I've heard the same thing about looking up to see what was tapping
them on the head and drowning.

Wasn't it Ben Franklin that back when a discussion was going on about
a establishing a bird as a national symbol that suggested the turkey
instead of the bald eagle? Seems pretty sad to me ;-(( Another
example of how we humans have taken another species and corrupted it
by breeding into a nonviable form that can't survive on its own. When
you see a wild turkey, then look at a farm turkey, it's hard to
believe they're related