Whew! I'm (almost) recovered.

Old September 26th 03, 07:53 AM
badwilson

Default Whew! I'm (almost) recovered.

Hi all,
Sorry I've been absent so much lately. My mom was here for a month
visiting. She spent a week here at the house with me and Dennis and then we
all went to Chiang Mai together. Dennis had to go back to work in Burma on
Sept. 7th, and after that my mom hung out at home with me for another week
and then we went to Krabi for a week.
Now, seeing my mom again was really nice...for the first couple of days.
Then things began to get more difficult. Dennis and I just find her to be
very negative and miserable and it began to get me down. I started getting
splitting headaches, grinding my teeth at night and psoriasis :-(
Naturally, I was racked with guilt over these not-so-nice thoughts I was
having about her. But what can I do? I just think that we have a much
better relationship by email. I am relieved that she's gone home now. For
the past week, since she left, I have been hibernating alone, trying to get
over this whole visit thing. I am starting to feel better. I've caught up
on all the posts from the group and am looking forward to participating more
from now on. Dennis will be in Burma until October 20th and I miss him
dearly, but for now I'm still revelling in being able to be *alone*.
Hugs and purrs to everyone and their furry masters.
--
Britta
Check out pictures of Vino at:

Old September 26th 03, 08:49 AM
Helen Wheels

badwilson wrote:
[...]

Hey, welcome back Britta! Know exactly what you mean about the
parent guilt trip thing. My Dad drives me bonkers when he comes
to stay with me here, but I still wish he could come and live in
Australia permanently.
Helen Wheels

Old September 26th 03, 08:59 AM
Gizela

When I read your post I was trying to remember what Vino looked
like.....then I saw the piccies.....he is that gorgeous looking ginger
fellow!! Even my other half agreed that he is gorgeous and the only cat he
likes is Gizmo (my adorable baby).

I know about the guilt thing. Mum lives 45 minutes away and even though I am
30 (boo hoo) she makes me feel like a 12 year old sometimes. I'm *almost* at
the stage now that I can ignore it/brush it off, most of the time anyway. I
don't think I could cope with her living with me though....for any length of
time!!!

Purrrs that you get back to "normal" (whatever that means to you) soon.

--
Purrs to all

Angela and Gizmo

Old September 26th 03, 10:53 AM
polonca12000

It's hard being with someone who is negative and not let that affect you. I
do wish your mom could enjoy visiting you more, since you took her to these
wonderful places. I'm sorry Dennis is away again for such a long time. I'm
so very glad you are back, Britta, we missed you.
Best wishes and purrs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"badwilson" wrote in message
Hi all,
Sorry I've been absent so much lately. My mom was here for a month
visiting. snip

Old September 27th 03, 02:53 AM
badwilson

Thanks, Polonca :-) Actually, I'm sure my mom did enjoy her visit with me.
Her miserableness is just about other things. Life in general. Sigh...I
just hope I don't turn out like her. Mind you, I'm telling myself that
chances are slim because I'm always such an optimist, it drives even Dennis
crazy ;-)

Old September 27th 03, 03:07 AM
Seanette Blaylock

"badwilson" had some very interesting things to
say about Whew! I'm (almost) recovered.:

Aaaawww! Thank you! You and your other half are so sweet :-) Vino is our
adorable baby too, our substitute child. I've looked at pics of Gizmo too
and he's a sweetie!
Yeah, I'm 31 actually and my mom gave me some pretty odd lectures while she
was here. Got mad at me for letting Vino lick spaghetti sauce off my plate
after I was done. I said I was done and the plate was going to get washed,
but she said that now I couldn't eat off the plate anymore. I told her it
was my plate, in my house and if it bothered her she should mark that
particular plate and make sure that she herself doesn't use it again during
her visit. Humph! Imagine, not wanting to eat off a plate that Vino
licked!

Reminds me of when my paternal grandmother flipped out about my mother
putting people dishes and d*g dishes in the dishwasher together. My
mother was of the opinion that if the dishes were emerging with
anything hazardous to human health still on them, we had a problem
regardless of what was in that load. :-)

I let Felix prewash dishes when he asks to. He especially likes ice
cream and cheese sauce [no, I do *not* eat these combined! :-)].

--
Seanette Blaylock
"You attribute perfect rationality to the whole of humanity, which has
Old September 27th 03, 04:00 AM
badwilson

wrote in message
badwilson wrote:

my mom gave me some pretty odd lectures while she was here. Got
mad at me for letting Vino lick spaghetti sauce off my plate
after I was done. I said I was done and the plate was going to
get washed, but she said that now I couldn't eat off the plate
anymore. I told her it was my plate, in my house and if it
bothered her she should mark that particular plate and make sure
that she herself doesn't use it again during her visit. Humph!
Imagine, not wanting to eat off a plate that Vino licked!

I might be able to understand that if you wanted to serve her food on
that plate right after he licked it. I probably wouldn't eat off a
plate that my cat had just licked either (although I don't get bent
out of shape if other people do it - people seem to have all sorts of
standards for these things). But after you *wash* it?? What, has the
plate become non-kosher or something?

Anyway, welcome back, I'm glad you survived your mom's particular
brand of craziness. My mother's not too hard to take - in some ways
she's more like a child than a mother, so she doesn't do that thing
of making me feel like a 12-year-old. My father, on the other hand,
is a real b*st*rd, and I don't even see him. I think the hardest
situation is the one where your parent is decent enough that you can
continue to have a relationship with them, but still enough of a pain
that they drive you crazy when you see them.

Got any new photos of Mr Handsome? (Oh, of your husband too, if you've
got them - I meant Vino. )

Joyce

Yeah, she was really weird about all sorts of Vino things. She disapproved
of me letting him sleep in my bed, didn't think I should let him on the
kitchen counters, coffee table, computer desk and many other places.
Sheesh, imagine trying to enforce all these no-access zones to a cat?!?!
I think I have definitely got the difficult situation you describe. My
parents are difficult, even nasty at times, but not seriously evil to where
I would want to not see them anymore. It seems like we can have a great
relationship long-distance. Hmmmm, no wonder I haven't lived in the same
town as my parents since I was 18!
LOL about pic's of Mr Handsome. Errrr, I've got some new Vino pics but
haven't gotten around to putting them up yet. I'll try to get to that
soonest. And I've got tons of pic's of Dennis, but I'm not sure how he'd
feel about me putting them up in the "Vino" folder ;-)

Old September 27th 03, 04:47 AM
Lucy's Mom

I do understand about that "mom" thing...I love mine dearly but after
a couple of days, I'm ready to strangle her. I actually had to move
in with her and Grandma back in '91 for about 6 months when I lost my
job. Grandma and I got along great but Mom was another story....Kind
of suprised we didn't kill each other, actually.....

Anyhow, enjoy your private time. You've earned it!!

--Kim and Miss Lucy

Old September 27th 03, 05:14 AM

badwilson wrote:

And I've got tons of pic's of Dennis, but I'm not sure how he'd
feel about me putting them up in the "Vino" folder ;-)

But the real question is, how would *Vino* feel about having pictures
of Dennis in *his* folder?

Joyce
Old September 27th 03, 06:26 AM
Jo Firey

"badwilson" wrote in message
Aaaawww! Thank you! You and your other half are so sweet :-) Vino is our
adorable baby too, our substitute child. I've looked at pics of Gizmo too
and he's a sweetie!
Yeah, I'm 31 actually and my mom gave me some pretty odd lectures while she
was here. Got mad at me for letting Vino lick spaghetti sauce off my plate
after I was done. I said I was done and the plate was going to get washed,
but she said that now I couldn't eat off the plate anymore. I told her it
was my plate, in my house and if it bothered her she should mark that
particular plate and make sure that she herself doesn't use it again during
her visit. Humph! Imagine, not wanting to eat off a plate that Vino
licked!
--
Britta

Such a silly idea to worry about how your baby behaves in your house!

I've raised two daughters and three grandsons. The process has involved shall we say
many indelicate situations.

It would be silly at this point to worry about fully sharing my house with my fur
babies wouldn't it?

Litter trained and self cleaning is a major improvement in my mind.

Jo