Urinary Tract Infections in Cats

Old October 3rd 03, 02:17 AM
Gizela

Default Urinary Tract Infections in Cats

Following the replies I got to my post about cats weeing in inappropriate
places, I thought I'd ask.....would I know if she had an infection? i.e. are
there any other symptoms I should be looking for?

As for denying her food, I have not done that....I just haven't provided her
with her favorite.....she still has plenty of food there which she will eat
(she just prefers the *expensive* stuff).

As for the vet, I have contacted my vet today, actually, I left a message
earlier and the receptionist said she'd call me back

I shall keep you all posted as to how she goes

Angela and Gizmo

Old October 3rd 03, 02:52 AM
MaryL

"Gizela" u wrote in message
Following the replies I got to my post about cats weeing in inappropriate
places, I thought I'd ask.....would I know if she had an infection? i.e.

are
there any other symptoms I should be looking for?

As for denying her food, I have not done that....I just haven't provided

her
with her favorite.....she still has plenty of food there which she will

eat
(she just prefers the *expensive* stuff).

As for the vet, I have contacted my vet today, actually, I left a message
earlier and the receptionist said she'd call me back

I shall keep you all posted as to how she goes

Angela and Gizmo

Inappropriate urination is often the first (and primary) sign of UTI. It is
possible that you might not see any other symptoms. However, there are some
other possible symptoms to watch for, including straining in the litter box
and traces of blood.

I realized from your original post that you aren't depriving Gizmo of food.
However, the depriving of her "favorite" won't help at all. She won't be
able to associate that with the problem. If this is UTI, the problem will
probably be resolved with medication. If it is behavioral, then you will
need to try to determine the cause. Incidentally, be sure to thoroughly
clean the laptop bag with a good enzymatic cleaner so it won't act as an
attractant to her. Petzyme enzymatic cleaner is excellent (available at
PetSmart -- but be sure to get the feline formulation).

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Old October 3rd 03, 05:48 AM
Marina

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER wrote

I realized from your original post that you aren't depriving Gizmo of

food.
However, the depriving of her "favorite" won't help at all. She won't be
able to associate that with the problem. If this is UTI, the problem will
probably be resolved with medication. If it is behavioral, then you will
need to try to determine the cause.

If it's behavioural, maybe the bag smells like something from work that she
doesn't like or finds threatening. Where do you store the bag at work? Could
it be picking up some scent that Gizmo finds unpleasant? Purrs that you can
figure out the problem, and purrs for Gizmo if it turns out to be an
infection.

I hear that vinegar is good for covering the cat pee scent.

--
Marina