Safe ear mite treatment?

Old June 28th 04, 01:26 AM
Apple

Default Safe ear mite treatment?

Hi all,

Is there a safe and effective over the counter treatment for cats with ear
mites?

I know hartz has one, but I've been reading that hartz products can harm
cats so I'm not so sure about using that one.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Old June 28th 04, 07:37 AM
MacCandace

Is there a safe and effective over the counter treatment for cats with ear
mites?

Really, I would call the vet. It shouldn't be pricey. If you have a
relationship with a vet already, maybe they would even sell you the med without
bringing your cat in. But I have heard...never tried it myself...that mineral
oil can help. You would just put it on a cotton ball and massage around in the
ear without going too deep. I don't know how deep in the ear mites go and if
this would get all of them.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old June 28th 04, 08:16 AM
-L. :

"Apple" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Is there a safe and effective over the counter treatment for cats with ear
mites?

I know hartz has one, but I've been reading that hartz products can harm
cats so I'm not so sure about using that one.

Thanks for any recommendations!

AFAIC, the only ear mite remedy worth bothering with is Acarexx -
available tyhrough your vet. One does is all it takes, and it runs
about $12.00.

-L.

Old June 28th 04, 04:25 PM
Steve G

"Apple" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Is there a safe and effective over the counter treatment for cats with ear
mites?

Well, Revolution is over the counter, just it happens to be the vet's counter.

S.