Now I'm worrying about Greenies

Old January 18th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Now I'm worrying about Greenies

The warning was for dogs, but I have this little package of Feline
Greenies that one of my catsitting clients gave me recently. Just
yesterday, I thought I'd try them out on my crew. I did hesitate a
moment before opening the package, thinking about the Diamond food
scare, but then dismissed those thoughts as paranoia. My kitties
loved them, and I gave them each about 5 or 6. And now this!

For the dogs who were affected, how long did it take between ingestion
and illness/death? I'm wondering when I can stop worrying about it. Or
whether I even need to worry about it at all with cats, since there are
no complaints about the feline version.

Thanks,
Joyce
Old January 18th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Joyce

Are you hearing voices yet, think or feels as if some one is watching you.
If you are there is medication for that but in other words
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BEING PARANOID IF YOU ARE A PARENT IT IS OUR RIGHT
TO WORRY AND MAKE A FUSS

Old January 18th 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

NMR wrote:

Are you hearing voices yet, think or feels as if some one is watching you.
If you are there is medication for that but in other words
THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS BEING PARANOID IF YOU ARE A PARENT IT IS OUR
RIGHT TO WORRY AND MAKE A FUSS

Right now I'm more interested in reassurance that my furkids are going
to be OK than I am in being reassured about my sanity.

Joyce
Old January 18th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

For the dogs who were affected, how long did it take between ingestion
and illness/death? I'm wondering when I can stop worrying about it. Or
whether I even need to worry about it at all with cats, since there are
no complaints about the feline version.

The reviews I found reported first symptoms as early as an hour and a half
later to as long as a day later. If your babies are showing no symptoms by
tomorrow I'd say they'll be fine.

And, more importantly, ALL of the deaths I found reported were dogs. I
found no reports of cats being harmed by Greenies.

I sure do understand your concern, but I'd be very surprised if your
furkids experience any harm from them.

Dan
Old January 18th 06, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:

If your babies are showing no symptoms by tomorrow I'd say they'll
be fine.

And, more importantly, ALL of the deaths I found reported were dogs.
I found no reports of cats being harmed by Greenies.

Thanks for the reply! All of them seem fine as of now. But I'm going to
throw the Greenies out anyway - why take any more chances?

Joyce
Old January 18th 06, 08:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote in message
The warning was for dogs, but I have this little package of Feline
Greenies that one of my catsitting clients gave me recently. Just
yesterday, I thought I'd try them out on my crew. I did hesitate a
moment before opening the package, thinking about the Diamond food
scare, but then dismissed those thoughts as paranoia. My kitties
loved them, and I gave them each about 5 or 6. And now this!

For the dogs who were affected, how long did it take between ingestion
and illness/death? I'm wondering when I can stop worrying about it. Or
whether I even need to worry about it at all with cats, since there are
no complaints about the feline version.

What the heck are greenies? My first thought was environmental activists,
but they don't tend to come in packages, and whilst often quite toxic, dont'
strike me as edible by cats.

Yowie

Old January 18th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:

What the heck are greenies?

They're a (supposedly) teeth-cleaning doggie treat. There's also a
feline version.

My first thought was environmental activists, but they don't tend
to come in packages, and whilst often quite toxic, dont' strike me
as edible by cats.

Guess it depends on the size of the cat. But I wouldn't consider an
environmentalist toxic, as their main concern is usually to *eliminate*
toxicity. Maybe you're thinking of PETA activists?

Joyce
Old January 19th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Yowie wrote:
What the heck are greenies? My first thought was environmental activists,
but they don't tend to come in packages, and whilst often quite toxic, dont'
strike me as edible by cats.

Yowie

I didn't even know they made Greenies for cats. I've seen the greenie
dog biscuits. I never bought any for Happy though. They're expensive,
and he was so picky I figured he wouldn't get them anyway. It was Dingo
Jerky for him or nothing at all. Anything else he just buried.

Sherry