What do cats do at night outside?

Old January 29th 08, 09:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner[_2_]

Default What do cats do at night outside?

On Jan 28, 1:47�pm, "Sheelagh\"o\"" wrote:
On Jan 26, 10:44�pm, Noon Cat Nick
wrote:

IBen Getiner wrote:
On Jan 25, 8:55 am, honeybunch wrote:

I wonder why a neutered cat with a bit of arthritis in his rear leg
loves to stay out all night long in freezing weather. �What goes on
out there? �

They Feed, Flee, **** and fight. What else...? What planet do you live
on anyway...?

The planet of desexed cats, where they feed, flee and fight, but don't ****.

LOL, �V.Well worded
Sheelagh"o"

Yes, Indeed. Let us pray in the hope of ****ing a male animal. If it
were granted, we would be forced to respond......

IBen Getiner
Old February 6th 08, 07:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
RPS

Noon Cat Nick wrote:

: if your cat goes outdoors daily, he's probably built up a good
: seasonal coat of fur and some extra body fat to protect him from frigid
: temperatures.

How long can they stay in different temperatures: 30, 20, 10, 0? Real
temperatures or wind chill?

My cat wants to get out like OP's. I haven't gotten around to
installing a cat door, but I just leave the back door propped open a
crack, She usually pushes her way back in about 1/2 - 1 hour. She is
good enough to let me know she's back, so then I lock the door.

Another weird thing my cat does: Sometimes she would run ou t even if
it was 10 degrees. Other times she would recoil back from 40 degree
temperatures (she would insist I open the door, she would take a step
or two out, and then run back).
Old February 6th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Noon Cat Nick

RPS wrote:
Noon Cat Nick wrote:

: if your cat goes outdoors daily, he's probably built up a good
: seasonal coat of fur and some extra body fat to protect him from frigid
: temperatures.

How long can they stay in different temperatures: 30, 20, 10, 0? Real
temperatures or wind chill?

Wind chill affects all animals, cats included. Cats are more prone to
avoid the wet, so snow or rain would be more likely to keep them in.

The coat and added girth, however, aren't enough to compensate entirely
for winter conditions at their bitterest. If your cat knows its outdoor
territory well enough, though, he's accrued plenty of places to go to
stay dry, fairly warm, and out of the wind.

My late cat Bijou insisted on going outdoors to relieve himself,
regardless of conditions. He refused to utilize the litter box. Even at
-10F with a foot of snow on the ground and a rip-roaring wind, he'd
still make a mad dash outside to do his bidness, and come racing back to
the door about a minute later.

My cat wants to get out like OP's. I haven't gotten around to
installing a cat door, but I just leave the back door propped open a
crack, She usually pushes her way back in about 1/2 - 1 hour. She is
good enough to let me know she's back, so then I lock the door.

Another weird thing my cat does: Sometimes she would run ou t even if
it was 10 degrees. Other times she would recoil back from 40 degree
temperatures (she would insist I open the door, she would take a step
or two out, and then run back).

Hard to say why. If she'd not been out for sometime, maybe she just
hadda have a taste of Mother Nature, even if it meant spending time in
an arctic wonderland. As for the other, all I can think is she'd been
spoiled by a run of dandy weather, and 40F was beneath her standards at
the time.
Old February 6th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"RPS" wrote in message
Noon Cat Nick wrote:

: if your cat goes outdoors daily, he's probably built up a good
: seasonal coat of fur and some extra body fat to protect him from frigid
: temperatures.

How long can they stay in different temperatures: 30, 20, 10, 0? Real
temperatures or wind chill?

My cat wants to get out like OP's. I haven't gotten around to
installing a cat door, but I just leave the back door propped open a
crack, She usually pushes her way back in about 1/2 - 1 hour. She is
good enough to let me know she's back, so then I lock the door.

Another weird thing my cat does: Sometimes she would run ou t even if
it was 10 degrees. Other times she would recoil back from 40 degree
temperatures (she would insist I open the door, she would take a step
or two out, and then run back).

She has a little tiny cat brain. You on the other hand, should know better.

Old February 6th 08, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
honeybunch

On Feb 6, 12:53 pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"RPS" wrote in message

Noon Cat Nick wrote:

: if your cat goes outdoors daily, he's probably built up a good
: seasonal coat of fur and some extra body fat to protect him from frigid
: temperatures.

How long can they stay in different temperatures: 30, 20, 10, 0? Real
temperatures or wind chill?

My cat wants to get out like OP's. I haven't gotten around to
installing a cat door, but I just leave the back door propped open a
crack, She usually pushes her way back in about 1/2 - 1 hour. She is
good enough to let me know she's back, so then I lock the door.

Another weird thing my cat does: Sometimes she would run ou t even if
it was 10 degrees. Other times she would recoil back from 40 degree
temperatures (she would insist I open the door, she would take a step
or two out, and then run back).

She has a little tiny cat brain. You on the other hand, should know better.

I think the size of the cat brain is sufficient for the size of their
body. Its just too bad they can't talk. But probably they'd sound
like lunatics if they did and scare us to death.