[OT] Computer question for you knowledgeable folks

Old October 27th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Default [OT] Computer question for you knowledgeable folks

A friend of Richard's gave him a free computer (it was a giveaway from
the guy's job) that works pretty well. It's a Dell, made for business
intentions. Unfortunately, Richard is a gamer, and has a couple of
games including Sim City 4, that he wants to play on it, but it seems to
need a 3-D graphics card to make that work very well.

So, a co-worker sold him a card for $40. It's a 6600LE GeForce NVIDIA
512 mb card. However, there seems to not be the right slot in the Dell
for this thing (it even has its own fan!). I think there is a
particular slot it needs go to into; the guy who sold it had it in an
orange slot, and all the slots on the Dell are white. I have no clue
what *any* of this means -- lol. But does anyone here much more
informed than I have any idea what he can do?

Thanks!

Ginger-lyn
--
Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Old October 27th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Ginger-lyn wrote in news:13i75cvb7rbj181
@corp.supernews.com:

A friend of Richard's gave him a free computer (it was a giveaway from
the guy's job) that works pretty well. It's a Dell, made for business
intentions. Unfortunately, Richard is a gamer, and has a couple of
games including Sim City 4, that he wants to play on it, but it seems

need a 3-D graphics card to make that work very well.

So, a co-worker sold him a card for $40. It's a 6600LE GeForce NVIDIA
512 mb card. However, there seems to not be the right slot in the Dell
for this thing (it even has its own fan!). I think there is a
particular slot it needs go to into; the guy who sold it had it in an
orange slot, and all the slots on the Dell are white. I have no clue
what *any* of this means -- lol. But does anyone here much more
informed than I have any idea what he can do?

Thanks!

Ginger-lyn

All he can do is get a card that fits the slots you have and has the
perfromance needed. You can't use the card you have. Without seeing it
I would guess the computer you have has PCI slots. The other card sounds
like it fits an AGP slot.

Either way you need to figure out what the computer has (you can post a
pic for some here to tell you) and what a video card will cost and will
the combination work well enough to be worth the cost to you.

Andy
Old October 27th 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

"Outsider" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

What he said and...

I don't know if you have them, but there might be a computer club or swap
meet or computer fair near year where someone will be willing to swap the
card you have for a suitable PCI card - or trade it in so that the PCI card
will cost you far less than a new card.

I'm not right into games, but there's the *minimum requirement* for the
graphics card for the game to be playable and then there's the 'desired'
level of function.

For example, I have an old beast of a computer here that is on its last
legs. Its 5 years old, and was purchased as an 'office' machine rather than
a gaming machine. It hasn't had an upgrade in 5 years. It perfect for its
main purpose - talking to you guys. Joel on the other hand has a computer
thats 1 year old. It was built specifically for gaming and had the best
graphics card we could afford a year ago. I can happily play World of
Warcraft on both.

On my computer, though, World of Warcraft runs on the lowest resolution
possible. Whilst the 'foreground' looks OK and I can interact witht he
world, the background is rather blobby and indistinct. The colours are a
little dull, and finding some particular herbs can behard because the
contrast beteen the herb and hte background 'grass' isn't high. If there are
alot of other players on the screen, the movements of all the people tend to
be rather jerky.

But on Joel's computer, he runs WoW with a high resolution (not the highest,
ironically its hte monitor that can't compe with the highest setting, the
card is fine). The World of Warcraft is beautifully laid out, you can see
into infinity and it still has the detail you'd expect to see from that
distance. The colours are bright and there's sublte shading on things that
render on my computer just flat colour. The herbs and other small items you
might need to pick up are far easier to see and I only get jerky movement
when the netowrk is playing up, its never bothered by how many players are
on the screen.

Whilst I will admit that playing World of Warcraft on Joel's PC is a little
more enjoyable simply because it looks prettier and I don't spend so much
time 'mousing over' the screen trying to find things I can't see well, its
nearly the same experience playing the game because the vast majority of the
game is *not* dependant of having a gee-whiz graphics card.

So whislt I'd recommend that you get the best graphics card that a) the
computer you have can support and b) can afford, you don't necessarily need
a super duper gee-whiz top of the range one to play games successfully.

Yowie

Old October 28th 07, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Outsider wrote:

All he can do is get a card that fits the slots you have and has the
perfromance needed. You can't use the card you have. Without seeing it
I would guess the computer you have has PCI slots. The other card sounds
like it fits an AGP slot.

Either way you need to figure out what the computer has (you can post a
pic for some here to tell you) and what a video card will cost and will
the combination work well enough to be worth the cost to you.

Andy

Thanks, Andy. Thanks, everyone for your input. I have posted photos of
the inside of his computer, if that will help. They are he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabraca...7602752662692/

Does that help?

He's going nuts with worry. Of course I told him to wait, but did he
listen to me? Nahhhhh. lol!

Ginger-lyn
Old October 28th 07, 11:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian A

Ginger-lyn wrote:
Outsider wrote:

All he can do is get a card that fits the slots you have and has the
perfromance needed. You can't use the card you have. Without
seeing it I would guess the computer you have has PCI slots. The
other card sounds like it fits an AGP slot.

Either way you need to figure out what the computer has (you can
post a pic for some here to tell you) and what a video card will
cost and will the combination work well enough to be worth the cost
to you. Andy

Thanks, Andy. Thanks, everyone for your input. I have posted photos
of the inside of his computer, if that will help. They are he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sabraca...7602752662692/

Does that help?

He's going nuts with worry. Of course I told him to wait, but did he
listen to me? Nahhhhh. lol!

Ginger-lyn

It looks like the graphics are on the motherboard, so as all those slots are
PCI that's the type of card he needs. He will have to diable the onboard
graphics when he fits a new card.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old November 3rd 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ginger-lyn

Ginger-lyn wrote:
A friend of Richard's gave him a free computer (it was a giveaway from
the guy's job) that works pretty well. It's a Dell, made for business
intentions. Unfortunately, Richard is a gamer, and has a couple of
games including Sim City 4, that he wants to play on it, but it seems to
need a 3-D graphics card to make that work very well.

So, a co-worker sold him a card for $40. It's a 6600LE GeForce NVIDIA
512 mb card. However, there seems to not be the right slot in the Dell
for this thing (it even has its own fan!). I think there is a
particular slot it needs go to into; the guy who sold it had it in an
orange slot, and all the slots on the Dell are white. I have no clue
what *any* of this means -- lol. But does anyone here much more
informed than I have any idea what he can do?

Thanks!

Ginger-lyn

Thanks Adrian, Matthew, rrb, and Andy for all your knowledgeable help.

He realized from reading your responses and talking to a friend that
this particular computer would only take a PCI card, not a PCI Express
card. After throwing a hissy-fit, he first decided to save up for a
"computer kit" to go with the new video card. Then he threw another
hissy-fit and decided to go buy himself a PCI card. Then a friend of
his ordered him a PCI card (and paid for it).

I can't win.

Ginger-lyn

--
Home Pages: