The Oldest Cat In The World?

Old January 10th 11, 09:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Something strange is afoot!

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/851885-...t-in-the-world

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cat-world.html

I don't get it. The photos look like the same cat,

No they don't! The photo in the first story (Metro) is of a mostly white
cat with a little bit of maybe black or gray patches. The photo in the
second story (Daily Mail) is of a dark tabby cat. They're totally different
cats, but both are referred to as "Lucy, the 39-year-old cat". Both also
look like strapping, healthy cats. I would have a hard time believing
either was close to 20 years old, much less close to 40.

and the stories are
basically the same - as you'd expect: the Metro is a free-distribution
paper produced by the same firm as the Daily Mail.

The stories are basically the same, yes. It was just the pictures that
were completely different.

Joyce

PS - OMG. I just looked at both links again, and you're right. I swear
to you - **I SWEAR** - yesterday when I looked at the Metro article, the
photo was of a mostly-white cat. It was facing away from the camera and
walking. It was a shorthair with a poofy striped tail. DOES ANYONE KNOW
WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT?? Am I insane? Is someone trying to make me think
I'm insane?

(Regardless, both cats look much younger than 39.)

--
Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
Old January 10th 11, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default The Oldest Cat In The World?

On 1/9/2011 4:18 AM, MatSav wrote:
Well, KFC was a grand old lady - but here's a claim of a dame who
is claimed to be 39!

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/851885-...t-in-the-world

What a grand lady! Of course KFC is OUR grand old lady always.

I found this linked on the page you sent, and it reminded me of my
sister's cat calling me in the middle of the night one time. Her cat
just pressed "redial" and not specific numbers, but it was still funny.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/850078-...-cat-dials-999

I asked my sister the next day why she called me in the middle of the
night and didn't say anything when I answered, and she said her cat had
a habit of playing with the phone.

Old January 11th 11, 12:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Cheryl wrote:

I found this linked on the page you sent, and it reminded me of my
sister's cat calling me in the middle of the night one time. Her cat
just pressed "redial" and not specific numbers, but it was still funny.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/850078-...-cat-dials-999

I asked my sister the next day why she called me in the middle of the
night and didn't say anything when I answered, and she said her cat had
a habit of playing with the phone.

That's hilarious! Reminds me of when Roxy used to answer the phone when
it rang. Sometimes I'd be in my office when the phone rang, and I'd answer
it. Within a few minutes we would hear a bunch of clicks and other phone
noises, and the person would ask me what those noises were. I'd say, "Oh,
that's just Roxy getting on the extension."

Joyce

--
I'm in favor of animal liberation. Why? Because I'm an animal.
-- Edward Abbey
Old January 11th 11, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf[_2_]

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 13:10:36 -0800 (PST), Winnie wrote:

On Jan 9, 3:58*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Winnie" wrote in message

On Jan 9, 12:26 pm, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote in message

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 09:18:36 -0000, "MatSav"
wrote:

Well, KFC was a grand old lady - but here's a claim of a dame who
is claimed to be 39!

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/851885-...st-cat-in-the-...

If only the normal lifespan of cats was 35 to 40 years, instead of only
15 years. *Sigh*

Think about it. You'd only be able to have one during your life. If your
cat died when you were 50 you would not dare to have another.
Tweed

Exactly. I am over 50, and have no plan to get another cat now that
Rusty has gone to RB. I spent $$$ on vet bills and prescription food
over the years. Now I *need the $ to spend on my own health expenses
*which is going up as I age. Insurance only covers a portion of my
expenses.

You might be able to foster an older cat long term from a shelter who will
pay for the vet bills. * You are a good cat meowmie, Winnie. *Some shelters
do that here.
Tweed

I read about shelters like that. But I need to do more traveling to
see my
family. It is not justthe vet bills. I don't drive and often had
trouble even getting
a cab to take Rusty to the closest vet.
Plus I found taking care of an elderly cat quite tiring.
I am not young anymore with boundless energy and I have health issues
that come with aging. I need to slow down.
Just taking care of myself takes a lot of time and effort.
I will leave the roles of cat meowmie to younger folks, and just share
my
experiences with Rusty

I'm so sorry to hear this...but I can certainly understand.

Lorelei is the biggest cat I've ever had; I estimate that her weight is
at least 16 pounds.

I don't pick her up all that often; she likes to be picked up, some
times...sometimes she doesn't. But I REALLY notice how much more she
weighs than Kenzie did.

I used to just scoop up Kenzie to give her scritches, several times a
day: she just loved it.

Picking up Lorelei...my bad back REALLY lets me know just how much more
she weighs.

For me, the choice is simple: as several people have said, for many
years: I take much better care of my cat(s), than I do of myself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

-TC, in loving memory of the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico
kitty, Kenzie.

Every day was a treasure with Kenzie; I tried to treat them that way.
There would only be so many, and now, there will never, ever, be any
more

- Robert Heinlein
Old January 11th 11, 07:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

wrote:

[...]

Grooming Rusty often gave me a sore back from bending over.
Plus it was always a fight to hold him still from running away.
Often I spent more time brushing him than brushing my own hair.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ *^..^ * *

Old January 11th 11, 07:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

I don't get it. The photos look like the same cat, and the stories are
basically the same - as you'd expect: the Metro is a free-distribution
paper produced by the same firm as the Daily Mail.

OK, I know what happened now. A couple of days ago, my friend Stef,
who posted here about Angus, had sent me a link about the story of
Lucy, the 39-year-old cat. On the same day, Matt posted a link to the
story here. Since I'd already read the story, I didn't click Matt's
link. Then a second link was posted here, so I clicked on that. And
on that page I saw a completely different cat. When I remarked about
that, Jack said the above, and I started to wonder if I was crazy.

But it turns out that Stef's link is a different link altogether.
It does have the story about Lucy, and all the information is the
same in the text. But the photo on that site is, indeed, of a
completely different cat. Hooray! I'm not insane!

The cat pictured on the care2 page also does not look like an elderly
cat - even less so than the dark tabby.

Matt's first link from Metro:
http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/851885-...t-in-the-world

Second link, from Daily Mail:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cat-world.html

Stef's link:
http://www.care2.com/causes/animal-w...-in-the-world/

Joyce

--
Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old January 11th 11, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Lesley Madigan" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 10:35 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
It's unexcusable for a vet to put her down when then do not check locally
that she has a vet of her own. Which she had.

That's the bit that will always puzzle me- the so-called cat rescuer
who apparently picked her up and then she got taken to a vet a few
miles away? I cannot be the only person here whose GP is nearby my
dentist and, my optician are in the same building more or less
opposite where I live (That I may be changing my GP simply means I'll
go to the next nearest and that because they've been recommended by a
friend and they are only round the corner anyway), my vet is local
(the most local vet is the PDSA but I can't use them whilst employed)
so surely the first thought would have been to call local vets and ask
if they had a 4lb obviously elderly female tuxedo cat on their books
and from what you told us I imagine they'd go "That;s KFC" as they
knew her well

Unfortunately she was taken to a vet that did not know her and he killed
her. My vet would have known her immediately and would have treated her
from when my neighbour shut her out from her rehydration fluid.
No point dwelling on it now. But I do. I was in hospital. She died
because I was not there.

Old January 14th 11, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

wrote in message
[...]

I can only say that when Kitty Farmcat got to 25 yrs old she did not look as
good as Lucy does at (alleged) 39.
I will not disbelieve she can be that old but I do think the photo is from
years ago.
Tweed

Oldest Cat On Record Kyla `=^..^=` Cat anecdotes 3 January 10th 10 10:47 AM
Oldest RPCA Cat? Sherry Cat anecdotes 46 July 13th 09 10:11 PM
my oldest cat won't look at me David Mooney Cat health & behaviour 9 August 8th 07 06:04 PM
Who's the oldest CatNipped Cat anecdotes 13 July 4th 07 11:18 AM
oldest pet cat? Jeanette Cat anecdotes 4 April 9th 04 04:34 AM