Crevettes?

Old June 19th 10, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Crevettes?

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very
large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

According to Wikipedia, crevette is the french word for shrimp...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crevette

Nah, they are far too big.
Shrimps are very small (language difference, USA call prawns shrimp I
think)
but if they are prawns, they would call them that. These are some
sort of
massive prawn-type thingie.

Depends on where in the USA. In California, we call the big ones
"prawns".

Joyce

Really? What part of California. I've lived in California all my life
(74 years), and the only place I've seen prawns on a menu is in
Australia.

Joy

I've had them here in LA and TX - jumbo, jumbo shrimp.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Okay, what are they called? Jumbo, jumbo shrimp or prawns?

Joy

Old June 19th 10, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Joy wrote:

wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

I've lived in the SF Bay Area for 18 years, and came out here to visit
several times before that. I see "prawns" on menus and at supermarket fish
counters all the time.

Joyce

--
Beauty and music seduce us first; later, ashamed of our own
sensuality, we insist on meaning. -- Clive Barker
Old June 19th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Prawns.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 19th 10, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Jun 18, 11:33 am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

Have just consulted a cousin who lives on the LA delta around Houma
(no they are
not happy lately) and they offered *their* word which is "chevrette".
We did not discuss
how big we were talking. The oil has penetrated the swamps there.

----------------------

"Wetlands" - not only wildlife sanctuaries, but the only protection New
Orleans and surrounds has against hurricanes.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 19th 10, 04:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

"Magic Mood wrote in message
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

According to Wikipedia, crevette is the french word for shrimp...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crevette

Nah, they are far too big.
Shrimps are very small (language difference, USA call prawns shrimp I think)
but if they are prawns, they would call them that. These are some sort of
massive prawn-type thingie.
Tweed

Langoustine?

http://www.google.com/images?q=Lango...ed=0CDQQsAQwAw

Basically large shrimp

http://www.blurtit.com/q151475.html

Had them for dinner in Brittany once with a very nice white wine (can't
remember the name)

--
Nik Simpson
Old June 19th 10, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"MLB" wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:
"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

Tina

According to Wikipedia, crevette is the french word for shrimp...

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/crevette

Nah, they are far too big.
Shrimps are very small (language difference, USA call prawns shrimp I
think) but if they are prawns, they would call them that. These are
some sort of massive prawn-type thingie.
Tweed

Old saying: "A rose by any other name would smell the same". MLB

I now have it on good authority from my food group (which is where I
should have sent this post in the first place) that crevettes are not
shrimps or prawns, but freshwater crayfish.
I told you they were too big to be prawns ;-)
Tweed

If they are crayfish (crawfish) with the shells on you're probably going to
have one hell of a time shelling them. That's why I always only ever buy
crawfish tail meat. Those shells are a real PITA. But I'm glad you got a
good price! And if you'd like a recipe for what to do with them, please
drop me a note

Jill

Old June 19th 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in message
Christina Websell wrote:

[...]

Here in the UK, shrimps are very small, maybe less than an inch curled
round. Prawns are slightly bigger, but not much, king prawns are fatter and
maybe 2 inches curled, but they would be big ones and you'd pay accordingly.
What I have as crevettes is a king prawn on steroids ;-)
And they are absolutely delicious - I just had to try two last night.
Tweed

Old June 19th 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

On Jun 19, 8:10*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Here in the UK, shrimps are very small, maybe less than an inch curled
round. *Prawns are slightly bigger, but not much, king prawns are fatter and
maybe 2 inches curled, but they would be big ones and you'd pay accordingly.
What I have as crevettes is a king prawn on steroids ;-)
And they are absolutely delicious - I just had to try two last night.

Never seen crevettes over here but given I am a prawn junkie I will
certainly be keeping an eye out from now on! Haven't seen shrimps for
years in London- when I was a kid they used to be common on fish
stalls but now it's all prawns in London regardless of size unless
they're king prawns. Interestingly just before I logged on I fed the
cats a pouch of "Whiskas" with prawns (They like them as much as I
like prawns) and it has the ingredients in several languages printed
on the pouch and one of them describes it as "shrimps"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old June 19th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jun 18, 1:33*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
What are they?
I bought some today in the bargain bin box at Tesco, half price.
They were in an opaque bag but by the feel of them they are very large
prawns, shell on.
I can always make a meal from prawns - I love them.

In most places, they say prawn when shrimp are over a certain size and
"crevette" is apparently French for shrimp. There are several related
species that are gastronomically shrimp/prawns that I don't think we
make a biological distinction. All of which leads to my shrimp story.

A woman I used to live with, Linda, and I were eating in a restaurant
in New Orleans, an expensive place that turned out to be very good.
Linda got a shrimp cocktail for an appetizer, one of her many vices.
The shrimp were very small and Linda said to the waiter

"These shrimp are awfully small"

And he said "That's why they call them shrimp."

Given that Linda was as mean as a cut snake, this could have ended
badly but she decided it was funny and I didn't have to bail her out
of jail. That time.

But the waiter was right. Large shrimp are called prawns or "jumbo
shrimp."

--
Will in New Haven
Old June 19th 10, 04:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

wrote:

Here in the UK, shrimps are very small, maybe less than an inch curled
round. Prawns are slightly bigger, but not much, king prawns are fatter
and
maybe 2 inches curled, but they would be big ones and you'd pay
accordingly.
What I have as crevettes is a king prawn on steroids ;-)
And they are absolutely delicious - I just had to try two last night.

Never seen crevettes over here but given I am a prawn junkie I will
certainly be keeping an eye out from now on! Haven't seen shrimps for
years in London- when I was a kid they used to be common on fish
stalls but now it's all prawns in London regardless of size unless
they're king prawns.
-----
I hope you find some crevettes, Lesley. I'm surprised that they were at the
Tesco near my workplace which is a deprived area. It's unlikely that the
residents could afford them at the true price so it was my luck to find them
marked down. If you like prawns, you will love these huge ones.
Tweed