The Oldest Cat In The World?

Old January 9th 11, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

Default The Oldest Cat In The World?

On Jan 9, 10:35*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
It's unexcusable for a vet to put her down when then do not check locally
that she has a vet of her own. *Which she had.

That's the bit that will always puzzle me- the so-called cat rescuer
who apparently picked her up and then she got taken to a vet a few
miles away? I cannot be the only person here whose GP is nearby my
dentist and, my optician are in the same building more or less
opposite where I live (That I may be changing my GP simply means I'll
go to the next nearest and that because they've been recommended by a
friend and they are only round the corner anyway), my vet is local
(the most local vet is the PDSA but I can't use them whilst employed)
so surely the first thought would have been to call local vets and ask
if they had a 4lb obviously elderly female tuxedo cat on their books
and from what you told us I imagine they'd go "That;s KFC" as they
knew her well

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old January 9th 11, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Winnie" wrote in message
On Jan 9, 3:58 pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Winnie" wrote in message

On Jan 9, 12:26 pm, "Christina Websell"

wrote:
ingold1234[at]yahoo[dot]com (Gandalf) wrote in message

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 09:18:36 -0000, "MatSav"
wrote:

Well, KFC was a grand old lady - but here's a claim of a dame who
is claimed to be 39!

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/851885-...st-cat-in-the-...

If only the normal lifespan of cats was 35 to 40 years, instead of
only
15 years. *Sigh*

Think about it. You'd only be able to have one during your life. If your
cat died when you were 50 you would not dare to have another.
Tweed

Exactly. I am over 50, and have no plan to get another cat now that
Rusty has gone to RB. I spent $$$ on vet bills and prescription food
over the years. Now I need the $ to spend on my own health expenses
which is going up as I age. Insurance only covers a portion of my
expenses.

You might be able to foster an older cat long term from a shelter who will
pay for the vet bills. You are a good cat meowmie, Winnie. Some shelters
do that here.
Tweed

I read about shelters like that. But I need to do more traveling to
see my
family. It is not justthe vet bills. I don't drive and often had
trouble even getting
a cab to take Rusty to the closest vet.
Plus I found taking care of an elderly cat quite tiring.
I am not young anymore with boundless energy and I have health issues
that come with aging. I need to slow down.
Just taking care of myself takes a lot of time and effort.
I will leave the roles of cat meowmie to younger folks, and just share
my
experiences with Rusty

I understand. I've never been quite the same since I was so ill 5 years
ago.
I'd love to have a dog or two again but I realise it would not be sensible.
I just do not have the energy.
Tweed

Old January 9th 11, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Jan 9, 12:58*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

You might be able to foster an older cat long term from a shelter who will
pay for the vet bills. *

I've decided when I get to the age where taking in kittens/younger
cats will not be an option assuming my health holds fairly well will
be giving a last home to eldelry cats from Celia Hammond- they have a
scheme where elderly cats say with hyperthyroidism/diabetes/FIV can be
fostered and they pay the vet bills/any special diet food so all I';d
really have to offer is a warm loving home, grooming, box cleaning and
skritchies

Old January 10th 11, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

If this cat is 39, may she live longer but I do have my doubts whether the
photo is up to date. Definitely an older cat but I will eat my hat if
that's a 39-y-o in the pic

All I can say is, I hope I look that good at 172.

Joyce

--
Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.
Old January 10th 11, 09:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MatSav wrote:

Well, KFC was a grand old lady - but here's a claim of a dame who
is claimed to be 39!

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/851885-...t-in-the-world

I was reading the comments on this story, and one of them contained a
link to another story about Lucy. However, something strange is going on...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cat-world.html

Joyce

--
Whenever you feel anger, you should say, "May I be free of this
anger!" This rarely works, but talking to yourself in public will
Old January 10th 11, 10:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On 09 Jan 2011 10:33:52 GMT, wrote:

jmcquown wrote:

wrote in message
MatSav wrote:

Well, KFC was a grand old lady - but here's a claim of a dame who
is claimed to be 39!

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/851885-...t-in-the-world

My friend Stef (Angus's human) just sent me this story. My reaction to
it was, is this really a current photo of her? Very elderly cats are
usually pretty thin and frail, and their fur is matted with neglect.
This cat is so well-groomed, and well-rounded, too. If she's really that
old, that's pretty amazing.

Joyce

Why would you assume an elderly cat would be matted due to "neglect"?

I mean self-neglect. Most old cats I've known were too arthritic, or
maybe just too tired and apathetic, to be very fastidious about their
grooming.

Joyce

Many years ago, when I still had a subscription to Cat Fancy magazine,
they ran a story on the oldest cat, at that time.

The cat was 33 years old, and he/she LOOKED older than the cat in this
news story.

Maybe it was because the photography was better...but the cat looked
thin, and it's fur looked very dull, just as if it wasn't doing nearly
enough grooming.

I'm guessing that for the photos in the magazine, the cat looked 'as
good as possible'...but it looked elderly, tired, thin, and not in good
health.

I don't know if the cat in the news story is really 39 years old...but
it just seems unlikely, to me.

That cat LOOKS elderly....but not 39 years old, elderly.

Just my opinion, of course.

~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^..^

-TC, in loving memory of the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico
kitty, Kenzie.

Every day was a treasure with Kenzie; I tried to treat them that way.
There would only be so many, and now, there will never, ever, be any
more

- Robert Heinlein

Old January 10th 11, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

If this cat is 39, may she live longer but I do have my doubts

whether the
photo is up to date. Definitely an older cat but I will eat my hat

if
that's a 39-y-o in the pic

All I can say is, I hope I look that good at 172.

Joyce

We humans will never look as good as a cat of any age. :-)
Old January 10th 11, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

wrote:

You might be able to foster an older cat long term from a shelter
who will
pay for the vet bills.

I've decided when I get to the age where taking in kittens/younger
cats will not be an option assuming my health holds fairly well will
be giving a last home to eldelry cats from Celia Hammond- they have a
scheme where elderly cats say with hyperthyroidism/diabetes/FIV can be
fostered and they pay the vet bills/any special diet food so all I';d
really have to offer is a warm loving home, grooming, box cleaning and
skritchies

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

My great aunt was 80 when she got her last kitten, my aunt lived another
20 years, the cat 21.
Old January 10th 11, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Something strange is afoot! (was: The Oldest Cat In The World?)

Seriously, take a look at these two articles. You don't even have to read
them to see that something is wrong with this story!

MatSav wrote:

Well, KFC was a grand old lady - but here's a claim of a dame who
is claimed to be 39!

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/851885-...t-in-the-world

I replied:

I was reading the comments on this story, and one of them contained a
link to another story about Lucy. However, something strange is going on...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cat-world.html

Joyce

--
The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look on their
face whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer.

Oldest Cat On Record Kyla `=^..^=` Cat anecdotes 3 January 10th 10 10:47 AM
Oldest RPCA Cat? Sherry Cat anecdotes 46 July 13th 09 10:11 PM
my oldest cat won't look at me David Mooney Cat health & behaviour 9 August 8th 07 06:04 PM
Who's the oldest CatNipped Cat anecdotes 13 July 4th 07 11:18 AM
oldest pet cat? Jeanette Cat anecdotes 4 April 9th 04 04:34 AM