Update on Blocked Cat

Old May 14th 05, 11:23 PM

Hopitus wrote:
when my male cats got blocked (long
time ago, in 80's and 90's) vets in s.FL did
some kinda surgery that (not to get
obscene here) actually "made him a girl"
and forever made blockage extremely
unlikely....former boycats peed like girls
after the whole thing (I personally never
understood what this surgery consisted of,
just happy cats' lives were saved). Did -
for all that $ - vet "make him a girl"
urinary-wise?

No. The procedure is called perineal urethrostomy and is simply removal
of the penis in order to make the urethral opening wider, which in turn
helps to prevent blockages from happening. This surgery should be
considered only as an absolute last resort as there are many other
problems including recurring infection that can result from the surgery.
Doing things like increasing water intake by completely eliminating dry
food and feeding only high quality canned food, eliminating free-feeding
(which happens when you feed canned anyway,) watching magnesium content
and monitoring urine ph are very helpful in preventing reocurrences.
In other words, despite the surgery, your cats were still "all man." ;-)

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old May 14th 05, 11:24 PM
Hopitus

Heh...no, they didn't swish....all I could ever figure out was somehow the
vet way shortened the urethra path.

"Mary" wrote in message

"Hopitus" wrote in message
Hey, I'm not getting into the food arguments....but I'm curious about
something: when my male cats got blocked (long time ago, in 80's and
90's)
vets in s.FL did some kinda surgery that (not to get obscene here)

actually
"made him a girl" and forever made blockage extremely unlikely....former
boycats peed like girls after the whole thing (I personally never

understood
what this surgery consisted of, just happy cats' lives were saved). Did -
for all that $ - vet "make him a girl" urinary-wise?

I have heard of a procedure like this, but don't know the details!
Did he begin to swish when he walked?

"Mary" wrote in message

"animzmirot" wrote in message
Got our kitty back from the vet this morning. $1129.14 poorer, I
might
add.
He was in the vets for 3 nights, Highlights of the bill were
hospitalization charges including "biowaste management" ($3.99 ea) at
$122.40 per night, $120 for a CBC and chemistries, $114 for 1/2 hour
anesthesia, $122 for the urinary obstruction, and $102 for the saline
IV.

They did give us a 10 lb bag of C/D food complementary. Big whoop!

The cat feels a lot better and is in his 'room' sleeping (the linen
closet
is known as his room), and he did spend some time on the screened
porch
looking at the birds, etc.. But he is still woozy and fell off the

porch
railing and our dining room sideboard.

I'm glad he's home, but his new name is "sofa", which is just about

what
this ordeal cost.

Marjorie

You're a fabulous cat slave. You certainly saved his life, and of
course you know that he will bring you more joy and comfort
than the most expensive couch. Good on you.

Old May 14th 05, 11:35 PM

23 cats? That's the archetype of the ideal
woman!

Why thank you! However, you'll have to pardon Mary's stupidity as she
has no clue about my situation but posts what she thinks she knows
anyway, despite the fact that she's wrong.
I'vebeen posted very recently for the umpteenth time that I am the proud
slave to 25 cats, one of which I adopted just a few months ago from
someone on this very NG. In fact, he recently posted about his visit to
my home in the "visiting Henry" thread and was quite complimentary
(which belies Mary's ignorant and libelous claims that I am a
"collector.")
Feel free to peruse my photo album if you need a major cat fix. :-)

Old May 14th 05, 11:54 PM
John Ross Mc Master

On Sat, 14 May 2005 17:35:09 -0500, wrote:

[...]

http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=140147

This is my Cinder's website. What should I do about the tomcat? Read
latest diary entry.
Old May 14th 05, 11:55 PM
Phil P.

"John Ross Mc Master" wrote in message

The cause of the blockage is the cat's body's inabilty to handle ash
(magnesium and the like) in food.

There is no 'ash' in cat food- 'ash' is an analysis of the mineral content-
not an ingredient- that's why its listed in the Guaranteed Analysis and not
in the ingredients list. "Ash" is determined by burning an aliquot of the
diet for 2 hours at 600*C and weighing the residue. "Ash" is actually all
the noncombustible components of the diet- which includes most of the
mineral content- without regard to any specific element. The 'ash' analysis
does not correlate to the magnesium content of the diet.

Also, struvite is a function of urine pH not magnesium. At urine pH of 6.1
or less struvite won't form regardless of the amount of magnesium in the
diet. Magnesium content becomes important only when urine pH rises above
6.2. Urine pH determines *if* struvite will form; the magnesium content
determines *how much* struvite will form.

Phil

Old May 14th 05, 11:57 PM
Phil P.

"animzmirot" wrote in message
Got our kitty back from the vet this morning. $1129.14 poorer, I might

add.
He was in the vets for 3 nights, Highlights of the bill were
hospitalization charges including "biowaste management" ($3.99 ea) at
$122.40 per night, $120 for a CBC and chemistries, $114 for 1/2 hour
anesthesia, $122 for the urinary obstruction, and $102 for the saline IV.

They did give us a 10 lb bag of C/D food complementary. Big whoop!

You might want to speak to your vet about the canned version of c/d. Dry
c/d is less efficacious than canned c/d. The benefits of canned c/d are
increased water intake and water turnover- which results in the dilution of
noxious substances in urine; more frequent urination which- decreases
bladder contact time with urine, and eliminates crystal particles before
they
aggregate or accrete into larger and larger crystals and uroliths/plugs that
can obstruct the urethra.

Phil

..

Old May 14th 05, 11:58 PM
Phil P.

"Hopitus" wrote in message
Hey, I'm not getting into the food arguments....but I'm curious about
something: when my male cats got blocked (long time ago, in 80's and 90's)
vets in s.FL did some kinda surgery that (not to get obscene here)

actually
"made him a girl" and forever made blockage extremely unlikely....former
boycats peed like girls after the whole thing (I personally never

understood
what this surgery consisted of,

The procedure is called 'perineal urethrotomy'. It goes something like
this: While the cat is under anesthesia, the penis, scrotum, and testicles
(if the cat hasn'tt been neutered), are dissected free. The scrotal skin and
prepuce are removed to free and expose the penis. The muscles that hold the
penis to the pelvic bones are cut, allowing the penis to be pulled outside
of the body more than usual. The penis is split along the urethra until the
widest part of the urethra is opened. Then, the opened urethra is delicately
sutured to the skin, part of the penis removed, and all skin edges closed.
Done right, the cat is now something of an anatomical female with a wide
urethral opening too big to become obstructed again.

I've watched this surgery a couple of times- and still get the chills
thinking about it! Actually, it sounds worse to us than it actually is for
the cat. PU should be performed only as a last resort.

Phil

Old May 15th 05, 12:35 AM
John Ross Mc Master

On Sat, 14 May 2005 18:55:33 -0400, "Phil P."
wrote:

[...]

My vet once told me to get low ash magnesium restricted cat food for a
male cat who had a urinary tract blockage operation. I think I'll
trust the vet and not you.

OneTrueHome update Harri Cat community 8 November 27th 04 02:03 AM
Latest Crackles Update (appt moved up) Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 2 July 12th 04 01:37 PM
Back - and Mikey update (long) LOL Cat anecdotes 60 June 14th 04 05:55 PM
Nice Update on B5's creator, J.Michael Straczynski & Buddy the cat Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 8 January 19th 04 12:01 PM
Natasha Update Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 14 August 22nd 03 06:30 PM