[OT] Cruxshadows?

Old May 19th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default [OT] Cruxshadows?

Anyone heard of the goth/ebm/darkwave band _The Cruxshadows_?
(http://www.cruxshadows.com)

If you have (and assuming you like htem) how did you find out about them?

I only recently discovered them, through Joel ironically. He was reading a
Military sci/fi book by John Ringo. Ringo often references music in his
books, occasionally reccommending particular tracks to be played whilst
reading certain passages. In this particular book, The Cruxshadow's
_Winterborn_ was the song. Joel looked it up on YouTube, showed me, and I
was totally hooked from that moment on.

I was surprised at the "goth" thing - having gone from a bit of an explore
on YouTube, I like alot of "Goth" stuff. Which I think is pretty funny,
because I am such a *not* goth person and wold have never identified myself
as in any way into the goth lifestyle. I mean, I'm a middle aged suburban
wife & mother, not exactly prime Goth material :-)

But wotking my way back to 'classic Goth' or even pre-goth music, I have
always liked the darker electronic stuff (like Depeche Mode, Duran Duran,
early Pseudo Echo, Real Life etc etc) and Goth evolved out of that.

So, here I am, an early 39 year old woman, suddenly discovering an entire
genre of music that I have always liked but never had a name for: its called
'darkwave', of which alot of "goth" music fits into. How about that.

Yowie

Old May 19th 08, 08:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

[...]

I've never heard of that band, but this an interesting story. And it's
always exciting to discover a new genre of music that you like.

I'm not even sure what defines "goth" exactly. I know women and teenage
girls who identify that way wear a lot of black, and lacy stuff, and
lots of jewelry, etc. I could identify a goth look. But a real sense
of what the music is has always eluded me. For example, a lot of people
say that Dead Can Dance is goth, but why? I don't even consider their
stuff to be rock music, it's too acoustic. Isn't goth a style of rock?
Or does it have more to do with the lyrical content, ie, if the song
is about death, about glorifying or reveling in death, then it's goth?

I never thought of Duran Duran as dark, though. They seem relentlessly
bright and poppish to me. I do like them a lot, though.

How about the Smiths? They'd probably fit in the darkwave category.

Oh, what's "ebm" style music? Never heard that term.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old May 19th 08, 08:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

Default Cruxshadows?

On May 19, 5:07 pm, wrote:

Oh, what's "ebm" style music? Never heard that term.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^

Dunno, but with a young baby, "ebm" to me means "expressed breast
milk" so the thought of ebm music gave me quite a giggle!

Tish
Old May 19th 08, 08:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Tish wrote:

On May 19, 5:07 pm, wrote:

Oh, what's "ebm" style music? Never heard that term.

Dunno, but with a young baby, "ebm" to me means "expressed breast
milk" so the thought of ebm music gave me quite a giggle!

LOL.

In San Francisco there's a punk band called "Placenta", which consists
entirely of mothers. So being moms is part of their shtik, but it really
is punk rock, not just a gimmick. Maybe they're an example of ebm music?

Old May 19th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

I had never heard of this band but I like a lot of goth and other
"Dark" stuff, so I went to look them up on youtube and...

OMFG this song is awesome. You have a convert!

Is there anything else I should be checking out? any other songs with
lyrics/music like this? I enjoy Modern Talking and Blue System,
though I wouldn't necessarily call them "Goth", the sound reminds me
of them. I also think about Inkubus Sukkubus which is a great goth
band (many of its songs are religious to Wiccans/Pagans, though if
you're willing to accept them as mythology, that's fine too--but I
wouldn't recommend them to those who, for religious reasons, do not
want to listen to the songs of another faith.)

I would say that a large part of "goth" is being willing to explore a
large range of emotions, including "darker" emotions like grief,
anger, self-sacrifice, fear, and pain. A lot of pop music is either
chipper-upbeat with silly lyrics, or else lamenting (sometimes
whining) about relationships ending. Goth, as a philosophy, holds the
"shadow" aspects of human existence as equal with the light, not
something to be ashamed of, afraid of, or avoided.

--Fil

Old May 20th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Tish wrote:
On May 19, 5:07 pm, wrote:

Oh, what's "ebm" style music? Never heard that term.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^

Dunno, but with a young baby, "ebm" to me means "expressed breast
milk" so the thought of ebm music gave me quite a giggle!

'ebm' stands for 'Electronic Body Music' (dumb name) but its a softer, more
rhytmic style of Industrial music, more for dancing to than moshing.

Yowie