KFC latest news: The Groom-a-thon :-) this might be long..

Old August 10th 08, 05:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default KFC latest news: The Groom-a-thon :-) this might be long..

Hi, folks

In the last thread I started about Kitty FC's amazing progress from being a
no-hoper with RB fast approaching to a diva who had gained a lot of weight
and insisted on roast chicken, I mentioned how her fur had got into a bad
state, partly because she stopped self-grooming some time ago, partly
because I was unable to help her with it for three months due to my own
injuries but mainly because even before that she just *would not allow it*
or at least not often enough to keep her up to scratch (pardon the
unintentional pun.)
So we needed to get the cavalry in, in the form of my friend June. I said
she would be up for it, didn't I, and she certainly was!
So June came yesterday to visit KFC, who knows her very well. They spent 10
minutes admiring each other, KFC being ecstatic at seeing Auntie June again,
purring up a storm and rubbing herself all over her and Auntie June talking
to her in a silly voice (which KFC loves) saying "you aren't going to say
this to me in a hour or two, little girlie.."
The hoomins felt the need for a cup of tea then. Most Brits will know what
I mean. We discussed our strategy over our tea. Poor KFC had no idea what
was coming.
June had come equipped with battery-operated clippers, hairdressing scissors
etc in case it was necessary. I said I would prefer us to try teasing out
her horribly felted undercoat if possible and groom it out.
I got a towel to put over her head, but June had a better idea. She twisted
the towel and put it round her neck and took in her front feet with it too.
OMG, did poor Kitty swear when I got to work on her, teasing out all this
stuff! What a potty-mouth ;-) but no pain no gain. I jumped away every
time she growled and swore. Auntie June said to KFC "your mummy is nervous"
and I said "so would you be, if you'd been trying to do it on your own!" She
agreed.
Thanks to June's skill at handling difficult animals (and I was able to get
the matts away from her tummy too) I had a snowballs chance at that - KFC
is far more comfortable now. There is a little bit more to do (not much and
we have agreed June will come back in ten days so we can do that)
We didn't get the bath done, obviously. It took one and three-quarter hours
to get what seemed enough felted stuff out to make at least one more cat and
we decided we'd all had enough. That's for next time.
Both hoomins got slightly injured during the process. KFC sank one footful
of front claws into June's hand before we got the towel idea going properly.
Fortunately she merely removed Kitty's foot from her hand very carefully
without flinching or trying to pull it away so just puncture marks. I got
kicked by the back feet when I was removing the awful mats from her tummy.

But yay! She looks pretty again. I think she knows it. Sing I look
pretty, I look pretty

I'm so pleased. June was the only person amongst my friends who would have
been capable of this, and I've had to hold off asking as her husband had a
heart by-pass op earlier this year. "Will you help me groom my very old
cat?" didn't seem appropriate at that time.

Tweed

Old August 10th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

I'm so glad to hear that you and June were mostly succesful, I'm sure KFC
will be feeling so much better now. I wonder if she's plotting revenge.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 10th 08, 06:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
[...]

So glad she was able to get groomed a bit.

It used to kind of get me, Sam was always pleased as punch with
himself once I'd managed to bathe and groom him. No matter what
horrible things he had thought about me in the process.

Jo

Old August 10th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Aug 10, 9:08*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

But yay! *She looks pretty again. *I think she knows it. *Sing I look
pretty, I look pretty

There are many brave athletes over in China at the moment- people
prepared to run marathons etc- people prepared to push themselves to
their limits...

And everyone of them would probably sooner do that than try and groom
the feisty KFC!

You and June should be on a podium getting gold medals!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old August 10th 08, 06:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

May I be allowed to LOL? (I'm still grinning, I'm still grinning. Singing
ALONG.) Great story, Tweed. I can just picture the entire experience.

kili

Old August 10th 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Adrian" wrote in message
om...

I'm so glad to hear that you and June were mostly succesful, I'm sure KFC
will be feeling so much better now. I wonder if she's plotting revenge.

We'll have to see, but probably not. She did really hate it at the time
,was up for killing us both, but meowmie and Auntie June know best and she
is much more comfortable now - those mats must have been pulling on her
skin.
Next time, just a few to go, and a bath. Yes, she will hate it. I don't
think cats need a bath normally, but KFC might get one for the first time
because she is plus 20, stopped caring for herself and is very greasy.
Watch this space to see if it's possible to ever give KittyFC a bath.
Of course it is. We need June again.

Old August 10th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Christina Websell wrote:

I'm so pleased. June was the only person amongst my friends who would have
been capable of this, and I've had to hold off asking as her husband had a
heart by-pass op earlier this year. "Will you help me groom my very old
cat?" didn't seem appropriate at that time.

I'm so glad to read this. KFC must feel so much better without those
mats. Well done!

Old August 10th 08, 08:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
Thanks to June's skill at handling difficult animals (and I was able
to get the matts away from her tummy too) I had a snowballs chance at
that - KFC is far more comfortable now. There is a little bit more
to do (not much and we have agreed June will come back in ten days so
we can do that)
But yay! She looks pretty again. I think she knows it. Sing I look
pretty, I look pretty

I'm so pleased. June was the only person amongst my friends who
would have been capable of this, and I've had to hold off asking as
her husband had a heart by-pass op earlier this year. "Will you
help me groom my very old cat?" didn't seem appropriate at that time.

Tweed

I'm very glad KFC is groomed (mostly) and feeling oh so pretty again! I
know what you mean about not wanting to impose on someone but it sounds like
she was glad to help out. A good friend

Jill

Old August 10th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Christina Websell wrote:

The hoomins felt the need for a cup of tea then. Most Brits will know what
I mean.

Well, I drink tea for fortification sometimes, but I think many of us might
need something a bit stronger (and having pain-killing properties).

[snip]

But yay! She looks pretty again. I think she knows it. Sing I look
pretty, I look pretty

But the question is, is she speaking to you? Will she ever greet June
again with a gaze of admiration?

If she is like Smudge, then yes, she will forget about the trauma quickly.
I've posted the story here about having to shave Smudge's back end because
of mats - how she howled in long, sustained notes that I hadn't ever heard
from a cat before, and how the whole process required 3 people and a full
hour. But the minute we were done, she was trotting around, sniffing for
something to eat as if she had no concerns in the world. (Meanwhile, the
3 of us were devastated and speechless.) I hope KFC recovers as quickly!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 10th 08, 08:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Aug 10, 10:52*am, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

Watch this space to see if it's possible to ever give KittyFC a bath.

Anyone want to open a book on the damage she;ll cause? That is one
feisty ole lady you;re proposing to bath!

I assume the time gap is for your order of iron gauntlets to be
delivered?