(OT) Double Rainbow!

Old August 23rd 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default (OT) Double Rainbow!

It rained here yesterday afternoon just as the sun set. That's no surprise;
it rains here a lot. And this was one of those days when it was sunny and
raining at the same time. I looked out the back window and saw this
gorgeous rainbow stretching across the sky. I stepped onto the patio to get
a better look and noticed another one arching above it. Oh wow! A double
rainbow! It was beautiful to see.

While I was outside I noticed something else. I know some of you are
creeped out by spiders. But I have to mention as I was walking back inside
I noticed a very large black & yellow spider. It had spun a web hanging
from the outside patio light to the wall. It looks similar to this:

http://www.carolinanature.com/spiders/argiope6252a.jpg

It's a magnificent spider. (I must admit I wouldn't want it *inside* my
house.)

Jill

Old August 23rd 09, 02:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
John F. Eldredge

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:19:00 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

[...]

One of the interesting things about that variety of spider is that it
weaves a zigzag pattern into the center of the web. There is an article
on this genus of spider at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argiope_
(spider). The last photo on that page shows the web pattern.

--
John F. Eldredge --
Old August 23rd 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
---MIKE---

Jill wrote:

Oh wow! A double rainbow! It was
beautiful to see.

Actually, most rainbows are double. Sometimes the second one is too
faint to be noticed.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old August 23rd 09, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MatSav

---MIKE--- wrote:
Jill wrote:

Oh wow! A double rainbow! It was
beautiful to see.

Actually, most rainbows are double. Sometimes the second one
is too
faint to be noticed.

*All* rainbows are double. Most times, the second one is too
faint to be noticed. And if you look carefully, and you do see
the second rainbow, you should see the spectrum is reversed.

--
MatSav

Old August 23rd 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Nature gave you a little "lagniappe" yesterday.

Beautiful spider, looks magical. "Argiope," that's a beautiful name. A lot
of spiders have names from Greek mythology.

--
Theresa and Dante

Stinky Forever: http://pets.webshots.com/album/125591586JWEFwh

Old August 23rd 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
zob

wrote:

It rained here yesterday afternoon just as the sun set. That's no surprise;
it rains here a lot. And this was one of those days when it was sunny and
raining at the same time. I looked out the back window and saw this
gorgeous rainbow stretching across the sky. I stepped onto the patio to get
a better look and noticed another one arching above it. Oh wow! A double
rainbow! It was beautiful to see.

Hi,

I'm new to this newsgroup, I just subscribed at Cateyes'
recommendation (I know her from another NG).

This OT post caught my eye, because when I was visiting Port Angeles,
WA a couple of years ago, a week's worth of rain and clouds broke the
morning we were getting ready to leave -- and this beautiful double
rainbow appeared over the Strait of Juan de Fuca. I was lucky enough
to snap a coupe of pictures of it before it disappeared:

http://members.cox.net/zob/Double_Ra...les_Harbor.JPG

http://members.cox.net/zob/Double_Ra...s_Harbor_2.JPG

---
Zob
Old August 23rd 09, 09:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Very pretty! And welcome to the group

Jill

Baggy's Double Adrian A Cat anecdotes 4 April 10th 07 10:17 PM
I saw a double rainbow! Karen AKA Kajikit Cat anecdotes 2 November 26th 06 07:42 PM
Double dose Cheryl Cat anecdotes 6 July 5th 06 07:58 AM
Double Whammy! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 6 July 6th 05 04:09 AM
Double standard [email protected] Cat anecdotes 21 January 7th 05 12:13 AM