P & G recalls some IAMS canned food

Old June 10th 10, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
rhelsenborg

Default P & G recalls some IAMS canned food

Yes another recall. More info can be found he
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm214996.htm

It only involves a single type of IAMS canned food at this time.

rh
Old June 10th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"rhelsenborg" wrote in message
Yes another recall. More info can be found he
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm214996.htm

It only involves a single type of IAMS canned food at this time.

rh

It really is only fair to mention that there is nothing wrong with the
food. It isn't going to hurt anyone's cat. It just has less vitamin
B1 than advertised and could be a problem if a cat had that particular
food from that particular batch as its only diet for months on end.

Jo

Old June 10th 10, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
rhelsenborg

On 6/9/2010 6:28 PM, Jofirey wrote:

"rhelsenborg" wrote in message
Yes another recall. More info can be found he
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm214996.htm

It only involves a single type of IAMS canned food at this time.

rh

It really is only fair to mention that there is nothing wrong with the
food. It isn't going to hurt anyone's cat. It just has less vitamin B1
than advertised and could be a problem if a cat had that particular food
from that particular batch as its only diet for months on end.

Jo

True enough but if the cat did eat the food from that batch for months
they could suffer from thiamine deficiency:

Diagnostic testing indicated that the product may contain insufficient
levels of thiamine (Vitamin B1), which is essential for cats. Cats that
were fed these canned products as their only food are at greater risk
for developing signs of thiamine deficiency.

Early signs of thiamine deficiency may include loss of appetite,
salivation, vomiting and weight loss. In advanced cases, signs may
include ventroflexion (downward curving) of the neck, wobbly gait,
falling, circling and seizures. Contact your veterinarian immediately if
your cat is displaying any of these signs. If treated promptly, thiamine
deficiency is typically reversible.

Better to be forewarned then not to know at all. But I think the risk is
probably minimal as how many people feed their cat or cats that food out
of the hundreds of food brands available during the limited time frame
indicated.

rh
Old June 10th 10, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

"Jofirey" wrote in message

"rhelsenborg" wrote in message
Yes another recall. More info can be found he
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm214996.htm

It only involves a single type of IAMS canned food at this time.

rh

It really is only fair to mention that there is nothing wrong with the
food. It isn't going to hurt anyone's cat. It just has less vitamin B1
than advertised and could be a problem if a cat had that particular food
from that particular batch as its only diet for months on end.

I will not feed Boyfie on anything that has ever been touched by China.
He has Whiskas. I know it is not considered to be a premium food, but I
know where it is made, only 12 miles away from here and I also know that
some humans they employ have to eat it to make sure it's safe and palatable.
Wouldn't be a job I would want - cat food taster, eh? but I do know that
their food is safe and they do not source their meat from China.

Tweed

Old June 11th 10, 09:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
rhelsenborg

On 6/10/2010 9:51 AM, Christina Websell wrote:
wrote in message

wrote in message

It really is only fair to mention that there is nothing wrong with the
food. It isn't going to hurt anyone's cat. It just has less vitamin B1
than advertised and could be a problem if a cat had that particular food
from that particular batch as its only diet for months on end.

I will not feed Boyfie on anything that has ever been touched by China.
He has Whiskas. I know it is not considered to be a premium food, but I
know where it is made, only 12 miles away from here and I also know that
some humans they employ have to eat it to make sure it's safe and palatable.
Wouldn't be a job I would want - cat food taster, eh? but I do know that
their food is safe and they do not source their meat from China.

If you are sure of the meat source that is cool. Sometimes it is not
easy to tell where all of the components of cat food come from. For
example during the big recall a few years back one of the foods on the
list had that it was a product of Canada. But it did contain what gluten
from China.

rh

Old June 18th 10, 06:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell[_2_]

wrote in message

wrote in message

[...]

I haven't forgotten the melamine that China put in cat/dog food to raise the
protein levels, and that killed so many beloved cats & dogs in the USA.
I would not touch IAMs with a barge pole. They advertise a premium, quite
expensive food and they let the ingredients come from China and cause
deaths.
Nope. My boy gets food manufactured 12 miles away and they promise nothing
touches their food that has been anywhere near China.

I'd actually like to feed him on food I prepare myself, but he won't have
it - nothing that doesn't have a picture of a cat on the box/tin/pouch will
touch his lips, he sez.
Tweed

Old June 18th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

*wrote in message

*wrote in message

[...]

I, too, have quite a long memory of the Iams pet food melamine sneaky
ploy
not so long ago at that. To this day I buy no Iams food of any kind.
There also
was melamine in human *candy* not so long ago, and I cringe when I see
that
brand (which Hershey dropped like a *hot potato*, LOL) on the shelves
at really
cheap prices and people snapping it up. There is NO LIMIT to the
subcontractors'
gall and ingenuity in saving money at the cost of lives and health.
Good for you, Tweed.
Old June 18th 10, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bruce

On Jun 18, 1:08*pm, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
I will not feed Boyfie on anything that has ever been touched by China.
He has Whiskas. *I know it is not considered to be a premium food, but
I know where it is made, only 12 miles away from here

Whiskas is such a widely sold product that it must be made in dozens
of factories. *Can you decode the lot number on the tin to work out
where yours came from? *(The last one I saw had a code including "GB",
which suggests it was made in Britain, but there were both British and
Irish contact addresses).

Hey, Jack, I researched 3 sources and discovered....are you ready for
this?....that
Whiskas cat food is one of multiple "global" brand names used by a
huge *candy*
conglomerate popular both in your UK and in USA called *MARS, INC.*.
This blew my mind equal to long ago discovering the biggest marketers
of orange
juice in USA is owned and operated by the two biggest soft drink
conglomerates here.
I am tired to trying to find origin of your Whiskas cans, UK or GB or
Ireland. Good
luck with finding out on your own. Some people are fascinated by what
they can turn
up online about both people and corporate doings, in public records
accessible to anyone.
I'm one of them.
We have not even touched the outsourcing to subcontractors.

Old June 18th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jack Campin - bogus address wrote:

I will not feed Boyfie on anything that has ever been touched by China.
He has Whiskas. I know it is not considered to be a premium food, but
I know where it is made, only 12 miles away from here

Whiskas is such a widely sold product that it must be made in dozens
of factories. Can you decode the lot number on the tin to work out
where yours came from? (The last one I saw had a code including "GB",
which suggests it was made in Britain, but there were both British and
Irish contact addresses).

It's true. You need a private detective to figure out where all the
different ingredients that are in a can of food came from - and they
could all be from different places.

Which is why I think it's impossible to "boycott China", as much as I'd
like to. Besides, why assume China is the only culprit? I'm sure some
manufacturers in other places have cottoned on to these cost-cutting
tricks as well. China's food-regulation body is (or was) very corrupt,
but the same could be true in other places. For that matter, I don't
trust the FDA (US's food/drug-regulators) all that much. Anyone remember
fen-phen? Some officials in the FDA objected to it because they knew
of the dangers, but they managed to get it signed off anyway. There was
big money to be made, after all.

Joyce

--
Cats are rather delicate creatures and they are subject to a good
many ailments, but I never heard of one who suffered from insomnia.