Problems W/Rescue Group: Any suggestions?

Old October 16th 03, 04:12 PM
Luvskats00

Default Problems W/Rescue Group: Any suggestions?

3 1/2 weeks ago, I contacted a rescue group about adopting a cat (listed on a
Petfinders site). The founder of the group is well known. She was profiled in
the major newspaper here. Two of the people assisting her, however, were
incompetent idiots. I had dealt with them, first, before discovering their
limitations and inability to do anything related to the rescue at hand.

The story on the website stated that the current owners were going to throw
this (declawed) cat into the street or dump her at a kill shelter. I wanted
her. I made a couple of calls to Representative #1 who never called me back,
despite promising to do so. I called her each time. She finally said she had
personal problems and handed me off to Rep. #2. This one was worse. The story
about the cat's situation changed 4 times. The listing on the site stated that
the cat all meds were up to date. Since the story changed 4 times, I wanted the
vet (who treated the cat) to verify her medical history. I even spoke to the
husband (of the wife) who owned the cat. The ownership story changed a couple
of times, too. Despite my (9) nine requests to get the vet's verification, I
was ignored. I eventually was told that the rescue group couldn't verify the
meds. Question #1 - If they didn't know if the meds were current, then why did
they post that they were? Anyone (owner) could say anything..without regard for
truth, right? The rescue group has the burden to confirm the info before
adopting the rescue animal out.

In all, I placed over 15 calls...the last call was to the founder of the group.
She confirmed the incompetence of the assistants, but put me off by saying for
me to call her at another time. I was supposed to make 45 calls in attempt to
rescue this cat? I would do so if I was the rescuer..(I was a cat rescue
volunteer at one point, btw)....They were the rescue group..I was the one who
would adopt the cat. They made it almost impossible for me.

I also sent a full-page email documenting each phone call I made, the promises
the rescue reps made that were broken, the stories and subsequent changes in
those stories (by the group AND the owner's rep), the requests I made about
medical health which the rescue group ignored, etc.). That email was ignored.
I am sadly letting go of this possible adoption. I really wanted to help this
girl, but can't overcome the barriers. Question #2. Should I report this
situation to any monitoring organization so this doesn't happen to someone
else? Question #3. Is there such an organization? Thanks.
Old October 16th 03, 07:49 PM
Joe Pitt

I'm VERY sorry and unhappy to hear your story. To the best of my knowledge
there is no monitoring group for rescue groups. If they adopt out of a pet
store talk to the manager of the store. The other option may be to go the
the local news. As a member of a rescue group, it concerns me when other
groups do things like this. It colors people's opinion about all groups. My
group adopts out of a Petsmart and MANY people think all the Petsmarts are
the same group and have come in to complain about something to do with an
animal they adopted at another Petsmart.

I presume the group didn't have foster space and was trying to accomodate
the owners. They SHOULD have verified the medical records BEFORE ever
posting the animal as adoptable. We take in owner give-ups and if they don't
have vet records we assume the cat has had nothing and start from scratch
with vaccinations. We also shave the girls to make sure they have a spay
scar. Basically we don't trust what they say on anything without written
documentation. When we adopt the new owner gets copies of all the records we
have. I applaud your effort to save the cat. Hopefully this situation isn't
typical of the group.

--
Joe
http://www.jwpitt.com/cats.htm