Is this cruel or what?

Old December 29th 03, 06:08 AM
jmcquown

Default Is this cruel or what?

Okay, I understand parents love their children. I really do.

This person posted on another ng about the family cat getting into his/her
grandchild's crib when the baby was not in it. So to correct this problem
they set mouse traps in the crib. Albeit, upside down, but we're talking
mouse traps. Said it worked wonders to keep the cat away from the crib.
I'm sure it did. In fact, I can just imagine the curious kitty tapping at
the trap, turning it over and getting a paw slammed into it. People with
this mentality should be drawn and quartered.

When I suggested they simply close the bedroom door, the response I got was
well, the baby is less than 2 months old and is on an 'on demand' breast
feeding schedule and so they have to keep the door open. Oh, and they said
it's easier to train the cat to stay out of the room.

I don't know about you folks, but I wanted to say, has your daughter ever
heard of a baby monitor? In fact, have you?! I also wanted to say, "On
demand" doesn't sound like the way I'd raise a child. But maybe that's just
me.

Jill

Old December 29th 03, 06:42 AM
Dan Mahoney

I don't know about you folks, but I wanted to say, has your daughter ever
heard of a baby monitor? In fact, have you?! I also wanted to say, "On
demand" doesn't sound like the way I'd raise a child. But maybe that's just
me.

Jill

This is utterly amazing.

The fact that some people would consider mousetraps to be valid tools in
training cats need to have mousetraps applied to some sensitive parts of
their anatomy.

Dan

Old December 29th 03, 07:10 AM
jmcquown

Dan Mahoney wrote:
I don't know about you folks, but I wanted to say, has your daughter
ever heard of a baby monitor? In fact, have you?! I also wanted to
say, "On demand" doesn't sound like the way I'd raise a child. But
maybe that's just me.

Jill

This is utterly amazing.

The fact that some people would consider mousetraps to be valid tools
in training cats need to have mousetraps applied to some sensitive
parts of their anatomy.

Dan

No joke, Dan! I could not believe it.

Jill

Old December 29th 03, 08:31 AM

jmcquown wrote:

This person posted on another ng about the family cat getting into his/her
grandchild's crib when the baby was not in it. So to correct this problem
they set mouse traps in the crib. Albeit, upside down, but we're talking
mouse traps. Said it worked wonders to keep the cat away from the crib.

What idiots! This is not only cruel to the cat - how can they be so sure
the baby wouldn't get her finger caught in the trap?

I also wanted to say, "On demand" doesn't sound like the way I'd raise
a child. But maybe that's just me.

Actually, that's the way it's done in many countries around the world,
and I think it's starting to catch on in western countries. I think it's
healthier for the child. And it doesn't mean that the kid will continue
to get her own way in everything for the rest of her childhood.

Joyce
Old December 29th 03, 09:09 AM
Kajikit

jmcquown saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on Mon, 29 Dec 2003 00:08:49 -0600:

This person posted on another ng about the family cat getting into his/her
grandchild's crib when the baby was not in it. So to correct this problem

When I suggested they simply close the bedroom door, the response I got was
well, the baby is less than 2 months old and is on an 'on demand' breast
feeding schedule and so they have to keep the door open. Oh, and they said
it's easier to train the cat to stay out of the room.

I'm sure there would be less potentially painful ways of persuading
the cat to stay out of the crib... cats are all very lovely but they
don't belong in a crib/cot.

--

Karen AKA Kajikit

Here kitty kitty kitty... visit http://www.catslaves.org!

Come and visit my part of the web:
Kajikit's Corner: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Old December 29th 03, 09:16 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Actually, that's the way it's done in many countries around the world,
and I think it's starting to catch on in western countries. I think it's
healthier for the child. And it doesn't mean that the kid will continue
to get her own way in everything for the rest of her childhood.

Joyce

Nathan was breast-fed "on-demand" for the first 18 months of his life. It was
relatively easy, but I didn't find it necessary to have doors open at all times
to be able to feed him this way. Actually, opening and closing doors is a skill
I think I mastered as a toddler ;-)

Nor does breast-feeding on demand mean he has had everything he wants in his
life on demand - far from it :-)

Cheers, helen s

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old December 29th 03, 09:27 AM
Marina

"Kajikit" wrote

I'm sure there would be less potentially painful ways of persuading
the cat to stay out of the crib... cats are all very lovely but they
don't belong in a crib/cot.

Well, I never suffered from sharing my bed with a cat or three ever since I
was born, but of course there are more allergies around these days.

--
Marina

Old December 29th 03, 09:55 AM
Yowie

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Well, just by setting mouse traps in the cot rather than something far less
likely to injure cat, baby or anything else strikes me as dumb, but thinking
you can train a cat to stay out of a room is the really *stupid* thing.

As to on-demand breast feeding, thats the method thats strongly encouraged
here and the one I'll be *trying* (no guarantee I'll stick to it), but heck,
I'm amazed they can't hear a baby cry through a closed door. I can hear Joel
snore through *two* closed doors and figure that a baby's cry is even more
peircing (expecially to the mother) than any snore can be!

Yowie

Old December 29th 03, 10:06 AM
Jo Firey

"Marina" wrote in message

"Kajikit" wrote

I'm sure there would be less potentially painful ways of persuading
the cat to stay out of the crib... cats are all very lovely but they
don't belong in a crib/cot.

Well, I never suffered from sharing my bed with a cat or three ever since

was born, but of course there are more allergies around these days.

--
Marina

There are arguments that protecting babies from allergins does more harm
than good. Don't know the science behind it. Our cat shared or daughters
crib whenever he wanted and it didn't hurt her of him. He was just so
absolutely besoted with anything that had such a soft sweet smelling bed
and she adored him. She has no problems with allergies now at 34.

Jo

Old December 29th 03, 10:38 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

As to on-demand breast feeding, thats the method thats strongly encouraged
here and the one I'll be *trying* (no guarantee I'll stick to it), but heck,
I'm amazed they can't hear a baby cry through a closed door.

For me, the key to on-demand breastfeeding was to be relaxed about it. YMMV :-)
I can honestly say I *never* worried about how much milk Nathan was getting,
even though I had family members say "But don't you worry about how many ounces
of milk he might *not* be getting?" Said family members somehow failed to see
the healthy weight increases of my offspring :-) I also found it much easier to
pick Nathan up when he was crying and stick him on the end of my boob :-)
Stopped the crying and life was much more peaceful all round. I can't honestly
understand how anyone can leave a baby to cry on the gorunds that it's
supposedly not due a feed yet.

The downsides for me YMMV...

Well, at times I did feel like a bit of a prize Fresian cow :-) Yes I got the
occasional chapped nipple (ouch) - but found Kamillosan (Camillosan?) cream to
be a wonderous thing. As for those nipple tissue pads.. I found the washable
cloth ones to be much better and once I used those, chapped nipples vanished
:-)

Nathan didn't sleep much, for his first year, hence a lot of time saw him
attached to my chest... felt very earth mother'ish and I'm not a natural earth
mother. So this was a *huge* shock to my system. I told myself, that in the
great scheme of life, the chances of him not sleeping through the night for
longer than a year was extremely limited, and in the great scheme of things,
what was a year of sleepless nights out of my entire life. That kept me sane.
YMMV and I fully understand you may not think I am sane :-)

It would have been *nice* if Nathan had at least had the odd bottle of
expressed milk, but he point-blank refused to have anything to do with
bottlefeeding. Tried all sorts of bottle and types/shapes of bottle teats. His
look of disgust to them all spoke volumes, so I accepted the fact I was a
mobile milk factory for a while :-)

Plus sides for me ... YMMV

Nathan and I bonded well - and even though he has long since stopped being
breastfed (well he is 15 now) we remain close and have a great relationship.

Breastfeeding is *cheap* - no expense of formulas, sterilisation equipment &
supplies... plus you are giving your child all the antibodies he/she needs in
those early days.

Whatever and however you decide to feed Yowlet - best of luck :-)

*huggles* helen s