Cat pooping outside litterbox

Old October 10th 05, 02:39 PM
yogibug via CatKB.com

Default Cat pooping outside litterbox

My boyfriend's cat has started to poop outside its litterbox. The cat is
male, three almost four years old, and is neutered. It was just at the vet
about two weeks ago and he's healthy, so that isn't an issue. But his
roommate brought over a dog this weekend, which caused the cat to pretty much
be holed up in one room since he seemed a little put off buy this intruder.
The problem is now that the dog is gone, and the cat is still pooping in the
hallway. He also has not urinated at all in the past day or so. How can we
get the cat to stop going outside the litterbox? We have asked his roommate
to not bring the dog back.
Old October 10th 05, 04:03 PM
5cats

yogibug via CatKB.com wrote:

My boyfriend's cat has started to poop outside its litterbox. The cat
is male, three almost four years old, and is neutered. It was just at
the vet about two weeks ago and he's healthy, so that isn't an issue.
But his roommate brought over a dog this weekend, which caused the cat
to pretty much be holed up in one room since he seemed a little put
off buy this intruder. The problem is now that the dog is gone, and
the cat is still pooping in the hallway. He also has not urinated at
all in the past day or so. How can we get the cat to stop going
outside the litterbox? We have asked his roommate to not bring the
dog back.

Not urinating at all for over 24 hours is a not a good thing. Is it
possible that he's used some remote corner of the house where you haven't
detected pee yet? Urinary tract blockages can come on suddenly and the
cat really should be taken to a vet immediately.

Old October 10th 05, 04:06 PM
Gail

Place the cat in a room of his own for awhile with bed, water, food, and the
litter box (away from the food and water). He may need this to get back on
track. If he does not urinate soon, get him to a vet.
Gail

Old October 10th 05, 05:10 PM
Wendy

My boyfriend's cat has started to poop outside its litterbox. The cat is
male, three almost four years old, and is neutered. It was just at the
vet
about two weeks ago and he's healthy, so that isn't an issue. But his
roommate brought over a dog this weekend, which caused the cat to pretty
much
be holed up in one room since he seemed a little put off buy this
intruder.
The problem is now that the dog is gone, and the cat is still pooping in
the
hallway. He also has not urinated at all in the past day or so. How can
we
get the cat to stop going outside the litterbox? We have asked his
roommate
to not bring the dog back.

A lot of people think if their pet just saw the vet that there can't be any
urinary tract problem. I've never had my vet run a urine test as a matter of
course during the annual exam. Without that I don't know how a vet could
detect oncoming urinary tract problems if the animal was asymptomatic at the
time of the visit.

Not to say that that is the problem in this case but stress can trigger
health problems. I would be very concerned if the cat truly hasn't peed in
the last day or so. Blockages can come on very quickly in male cats and are
deadly if not taken care of promptly.

Old October 10th 05, 06:04 PM
Topaz

"Gail" wrote in message
nk.net...
Place the cat in a room of his own for awhile with bed, water, food, and

the
litter box (away from the food and water). He may need this to get back on
track. If he does not urinate soon, get him to a vet.

I second this. I have used confinement in situations like this with
success.

Also, it is a great idea to keep the dog away as it makes sense
that kittty might be marking if that is the only thing that has
changed around the house.

Old October 10th 05, 11:00 PM
Phil P.

[...]

That's true. Some vets include a USG and a dipstick for pH, blood, etc. as
part of the exam if he's also doing bloodwork, but seldom will a vet do a
microscopic exam of the urine for crystals. Just because the cat has acidic
urine at the time he's examined doesn't rule out the possibility of
crystals-- especially in cats that haven't urinated for awhile and might
have a urinary tract obstruction. Cats with a UTO often have no appetite and
don't eat because the backed up urine makes them feel sick. Not eating
acidifies the urine because bicarbonate isn't released as it is after
eating.

The bottom line is just because a cat was in perfect health two weeks ago or
even yesterday doesn't mean he can't have a problem now.

Not to say that that is the problem in this case but stress can trigger
health problems. I would be very concerned if the cat truly hasn't peed in
the last day or so. Blockages can come on very quickly in male cats and

are
deadly if not taken care of promptly.

Absolutely! A urinary tract obstruction can cause severe damage to the
urinary bladder and also produces a pathophysiologic state equivalent to
oliguric acute renal failure that can cause death if not treated
*immediately*.

Phil

Old October 29th 05, 07:45 AM
John Doe

"Phil P." wrote:

The bottom line is just because a cat was in perfect health two
weeks ago or even yesterday doesn't mean he can't have a problem
now.

So true, and so meaningless.
Old October 29th 05, 08:05 AM
whitershadeofpale

yogibug via CatKB.com wrote:
My boyfriend's cat has started to poop outside its litterbox. The cat is
male, three almost four years old, and is neutered. It was just at the vet
about two weeks ago and he's healthy, so that isn't an issue. But his
roommate brought over a dog this weekend, which caused the cat to pretty much
be holed up in one room since he seemed a little put off buy this intruder.
The problem is now that the dog is gone, and the cat is still pooping in the
hallway. He also has not urinated at all in the past day or so. How can we
get the cat to stop going outside the litterbox? We have asked his roommate
to not bring the dog back.

hab ya tried moving the litterbox closer to the scene of the crimes

sounds like the cat is not sure if the dog is in the other room or not.

kitty is probably still smelling the dog, when he smells the dog, he
gets flashbacks.

Smell is extremely useful in remembering

Old October 29th 05, 11:56 AM
cybercat

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote:

The bottom line is just because a cat was in perfect health two
weeks ago or even yesterday doesn't mean he can't have a problem
now.

So true, and so meaningless.

Huh? How can a statement that gets a sick cat to the vet
when he needs it be "meaningless?" What have you said today that was more
"meaningful" than that? What are you here for, J.D.?