Any winter adjustment in the diet?

Old October 28th 05, 05:39 PM
No More Retail

Default Any winter adjustment in the diet?

Set up a cat shelter if possible a stray will stay close to a food source
if possible
And yes a cat can be trained to respond to an outside stimulant It just
takes time

Old October 28th 05, 05:57 PM
Phil P.

"No More Retail" wrote in message
m...
In the shelter we give kitten - kitten food and adults -adult senior cat
food

That's correct- but we're not talking about an indoor shelter cat. An
outdoor stray could use a little extra nutrition and energy during the
colder weather. Kitten food is also better for pregnant and nursing queens
an debilitated cats.

kitten chow something about not

being able digest it easily.

Kitten food is generally more digestible than adult food. Kittens' stomachs
are smaller and their digestive systems are immature, so, their food must be
highly digestible and they must derive more nutrition from a smaller
quantity of food. That's why kitten food
is highly digestible and energy- and nutrient-dense (more energy/nutrients
per kcal).

Old October 28th 05, 05:58 PM
Phil P.

"whitershadeofpale" wrote in message
ups.com...

there is always someone smarter and richer and more talented down the
line.

Could be- but that someone damn sure isn't you, Babbling Barry the village
idiot! LOL!

Old October 28th 05, 06:21 PM
No More Retail

You learn something everyday ;-) I always went with what the vets say
they told us basically if its for kittens it means it is for kittens if it
is for adults it means adults. We give a vitamin supplement added into
their food. I guess I am to use to dealing with shelter animals

If I assuming correct I can give the outside cats a little extra oomph by
adding some kitten chow to their adult senior brand
anyone better than the other we use iams, Purina, 9 lives?

Old October 28th 05, 07:49 PM
Phil P.

"No More Retail" wrote in message
m...
You learn something everyday ;-) I always went with what the vets say
they told us basically if its for kittens it means it is for kittens if it
is for adults it means adults.

Most vets aren't well educated in feline nutrition- especially the ones who
graduated 5 years ago. Most vets get their education from pet food company
reps.

We give a vitamin supplement added into
their food. I guess I am to use to dealing with shelter animals

If I assuming correct I can give the outside cats a little extra oomph by
adding some kitten chow to their adult senior brand
anyone better than the other we use iams, Purina, 9 lives?

A little Purina One Growth & Development mixed with Purina One Chicken &
Rice should provide an extra punch. You could even feed all kitten food
during the colder weather. Just keep the bowls in a covered feeding
station- preferably off the ground.

Old October 28th 05, 07:56 PM
Phil P.

"Ajanta" wrote in message
Phil P. wrote:

: That's incorrect. Kitten food contains ***MORE*** vitamins and

minerals,
: protein and especially *fat* - which an outdoor cat needs more of in

colder
: weather- than adult foods- other than 'all stages' food- which are about

the
: same.

Thanks. I have always learned from your posts. As I saw it, there were
three options:

1. Feed a little more of the usual adult food.
2. Switch 100% to kitten food during cold months.
3. Partially switch to kitten food, eg, 1/2 adult 1/2 kitten.

Which of these seems right to you?

#2 & #3.

BTW I am feeding canned food. In Summer I was often in the porch when
she came. These days it is too cold for me (50 deg), but apparently not
for her, because she is able to wait 5-10 minutes at the door until I
notice her.

That may not be possible when it is extremely cold. If so, I will
consider leaving some dry food out. I am even wondering if i could rig
up a bell she could be taught to ring? I don't know how it will go,
will just have to see.

Since you feed the cat on your porch, have you considered using heated food
& water bowls?

http://www.partipoodlepetsupplies.com/hewafobo.html

Also, have you considered building a small winter shelter?

Old October 28th 05, 08:07 PM
whitershadeofpale

No...Ajanta, there is no "incorrect" when a cat is on borrowed time.

You feed them whatever you are able to give them (sounds like the money
is not the issue, which is great)

I feed strays daily outside the door here. I give them wet food it is
very cheap anyways...I know they appreciate it. Point is, I give them
what I can.

I hardly think it's a time for Phil to split hairs on the subject. Talk
about priorities eh? Here are stays at least getting something in their
little bellies and PhilThy, wants to say..."Incorrect" about it...oh
well.

I'm going to keep feeding my strays, I've got to fix them up a warm
little hideout, outback.

Are you thinking about some sort of hideout too? to block the wind?

Old October 28th 05, 08:26 PM
Phil P.

"whitershadeofpale" wrote in message
oups.com...

Here are stays at least getting something in their
little bellies and PhilThy, wants to say..."Incorrect" about it...oh
well.

Can't you even comprehend what you read, you babbling idiot? I wasn't
correcting Ajanta, I was commenting on "No More Retail's" statement
regarding the nutritional differences between adult and kitten foods.

Do everyone a favor: Stay out of nutrition, behavior and health threads-
You're dangerous because you're far too ignorant to give anyone advice about
anything concerning cats. You're even too dangerous to kill-file.

Old October 28th 05, 08:42 PM
Ben

On 28 Oct 2005 08:16:20 -0700, "whitershadeofpale"
wrote:

Here is another classic example of your piousness
or rudeness I can't stand it!

I WON'T HAVE IT! NOT ON MY INTERNET!

Just his piety and rudeness or do you mean in general?

Either way, good luck with that, althout I'll have to do some research
before I know if his answer was bogus or not.