declaw or not to declaw?

Old April 7th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=

Default KYLA gets tormented again

"hopitus"
On Apr 5, 7:05 am, "jmcquown" :
"---MIKE---"
Kyla, For God's sake LET THIS THREAD DIE. If you want to talk about
singers, start a new OT thread.

I'M NOT THE ONE WHO STARTED THE THREAD ABOUT BANDS d00d!!!

---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I didn't catch the post (obviously) but perhaps a subject change would
have
sufficed.

Jill

It was done, but not buy ME!

ROFL. Die, thread, die! from elevation 5424' (no, not Denver, but
close)

Okay, I'll change the freaking subject then
Look above. HAPPY????
Byte me from Tiny Town
Kyla
--who used to live in Denver

Old April 7th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default DON'T FALL FOR IT

CatNipped wrote:
"Daniel Mahoney" wrote in message
news
Why thank you, Tweed, for calling my entire country, and me, stupid - I
wouldn't have known otherwise!

Hugs,

CatNipped

I don't believe she was referring to the entire country, just to those who
would get their cats declawed. And in that assessment I would have to
agree with her.

Dan

Dan, this is something that Tweed and I have been over before. I don't mind
when someone has objections to a specific problem - but I do mind the
sweeping generalizations that she tends to make (re, what you snipped "Tell
them that America is the only place in the world where furniture is more
important than cats" and "*WE* [emphasis mine] are intelligent enough to
realise that they come with them installed and if you don't like it, don't
have a cat.").

Are you actually saying you APPROVE of declawing? I consider the lack
of a law against it in the U.S. just further proof that we are not
nearly so "civilized" in this country as we like to believe! (True, I
have a declawed cat, but she had already had the operation when she was
abandoned by her owner - was I to refuse to give her a home because if it?)
Old April 7th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

CatNipped wrote:

"*WE* [emphasis mine] are intelligent enough to
realise that they come with them installed and if you don't like it, don't
have a cat.").

Are you actually saying you APPROVE of declawing? I consider the lack
of a law against it in the U.S. just further proof that we are not
nearly so "civilized" in this country as we like to believe! (True, I
have a declawed cat, but she had already had the operation when she was
abandoned by her owner - was I to refuse to give her a home because if it?)

I think she was saying just the opposite - that she disapproves of
declawing and so do most (maybe all) of the Americans who are members of
this newsgroup. (I also think Tweed knows this.)

As for your cat, I certainly don't think anyone should refuse to give
a home to a declawed cat, as some kind of protest against the practice.
It's not the cat's fault! In fact, I wish that people who are planning
to declaw a cat would instead look for one who has already been declawed,
to adopt. Not that this is any kind of long-term solution, but at least
that would be one less cat being mutilated.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^

Old April 15th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Mutilated...um, like neutering?
Old April 15th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 7, 4:45*pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
[...]

abandoned by her owner - was I to refuse to give her a home because if it?)- Hide quoted text -

I'm not sure whether you're replying to Dan, or Lori, but I can't
believe you'd say that to either one of them, as well as you should
know them by now. You think the answer is more laws? The English,
AFAIK, don't have *specific* laws regarding declaw (I could be wrong
about this; you British friends correct me if so)
It is my understanding that declaw falls under regular abuse laws.
It's the interpretation of *our existing* abuse laws, and the American
veterinary boards' stand on declaw that makes it all go screwy.
I *still* stand by what I've always said, we need to educate people
more about declaw. Vets are the ones in the ideal position to do that;
and that's where the conflict comes in because it's also a source of
revenue for them. Plenty of vets refuse to declaw already. Over the
last nine years, I've seen many, many people change their minds about
the surgery, once they learn it is NOT a simple, permanent manicure.
And after they read the literature the shelter provides. Some people
even think they're impressing us by asking about declawing their new
cat. They think it's part of responsible pet ownership, like vaccs and
spay.
And I hate to sound pessimistic, but in the majority of the country, I
don't think a specific declaw law would ever pass. People are sick of
laws, and a great percentage of voters don't care about cats one way
or another about cats. (hard for us to believe, but it's true!)
Don't get me wrong. I'd love to wave a magic wand and say "Pass a
law!!" and magically, declaw would become as archaeic as blood-letting
at the barber's. Sadly, that isn't ever going to happen. You wouldn't
believe how hard it was here to finally get the anti-cockfighting bill
to general election. It was *years* coming. And that's a horrible,
horrible blood sport, still being practiced out in the open. We were
battling the Game Fowl Association, which I had no idea was so
powerful in politics. Then I think about going up against the
Veterinary Board, and trying to pass a law to a bunch of voters
probably 80% apathetic about the issue.
I know that Hollywood did pass a law. But Hollywood isn't midwest
rural America. I just don't think it's ever going to happen. That's
why *all* of us need to educate people. Print out literature and pass
it on to anyone you know considering the surgery, and let them decide.
If they *truly* are animal lovers, they won't declaw.
Sorry for the ramble. I know the usenet "Die, thread" crucifix has
already been waved on this thread. I don't get "het up" real often,
just once in a while :-)

Sherry
Old April 15th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 15, 9:51*am, "kilikini" wrote:
"Sherry" wrote in message

I'm not sure whether you're replying to Dan, or Lori, but I can't
believe you'd say that to either one of them, as well as you should
know them by now. *You think the answer is more laws? * The English,
AFAIK, don't have *specific* laws regarding declaw (I could be wrong
about this; you British friends correct me if so)
It is my understanding that declaw falls under regular abuse laws.
It's the interpretation of *our existing* abuse laws, and the American
veterinary boards' stand on declaw that makes it all go screwy.
I *still* stand by what I've always said, we need to educate people
more about declaw.

Sherry
(Sherry's post gently snipped)

We have a friend, lives here in America, who recently adopted a couple of
stray kittens that found his doorstep. *He's complaining that they're now
comfortable enough to where they're tearing up the furniture and his wife is
getting irate.

He's insisting on declawing and it just KILLS me.

I've tried to nicely explain how deforming and hurtful declawing is and he
doesn't care. *He says that they will be forever indoor cats so they don't
need to defend themselves and if the procedure placates his wife (in other
words, shuts her up), he's all for it.

I've never had a cat declawed nor will I ever have a cat declawed. **Teach*
a cat how to respect the furniture - get some cat posts - put up some sisal
or don't complain about scratches because you chose to have cats!!!!!!!
Ugh, the stupidity of people AND their vets for allowing declawing. *It's so
wrong. *Rant ended. *:~)

kili

Arrrggghhh......I know. There are some really good websites regarding
the plain truth about declaw surgery. I've lost my "bookmarks" or I'd
list them for you. You can always try printing some info. and let them
read it.
It just slays me, every time, the people who just don't know what a
serious, debilitating, painful surgery that is. They're not bad
people, they love their cats, they just don't know.
I know "declaw" is a taboo subject here, and I respect that. I never
bring it up, but I will usually put my.02 in there. But the truth is,
I think it's good that the subject comes up now and then. It's a
chance to offer some info./opinions on the subject. Who knows? We
might just change someone's mind if it's done tactfully, with genuine
concern and nobody gets ugly about it.

Sherry