Zsa Zsa's Story

Old January 28th 05, 02:10 AM
Cleo

Default Zsa Zsa's Story

January 14, 2005

Zsa Zsa

It’s always a pleasant surprise to come home and find a message on the
answering machine requesting information about the cats I rescue and
find homes for. On Monday afternoon there was one such message. However,
this call was concerning a kitten someone needed to relinquish. The
scenario is a far too common one.

Mrs. B got my phone number from a friend, Nancy, who has her own beauty
salon. Nancy has been a big help over the years by allowing me to post
flyers in her shop window.

Mrs. B was calling about a kitten her daughter and son-in-law had but
could not keep. The landlord did not allow pets.

I explained to Mrs. B that I was not affiliated with a group or
organization and merely rescued and found homes for cats I found at work
and, on occasion, cats and kittens relinquished to veterinarians.

As I listened to her story about her pregnant daughter's problem with
the landlord I figured it would be a good thing to help out in this
situation because Nancy had always been supportive of my efforts.
Later that evening a young couple came over with a 4 month old gray and
white stripy kitten.

It was a bit obvious that the kitten was the husband's idea. Apparently
the kitten looked just like the one he had as a child. The wife was
there just to drop the kitten off and go. Reluctantly the husband said
good-bye to the kitten.

Just as the conversation was ending the husband commented, “Well, there
goes $250 dollars.”
I asked where he got the kitten from and was told he got the kitten from
Chien Et Chat, a pet store located in a nearby mall.
Thinking I might not be recognizing a particular breed of kitten, I
asked the young man what kind of kitten she was.
Proudly, the husband answered, “Oh, its a Domestic Shorthair!” (aka
Heinz 57 - not usually considered a $250 cat).
“Really!”, I replied.
“Yes”, the man answered, “and she has papers, too. Her papers are right
here.”

He handed me a white folder. Sure enough the kitten had papers. The
papers consisted of a receipt for $250 which included the first round of
vaccinations and a deworming. The $250 didn’t even include the cost of
spaying.

When the couple had said their final good-byes and left I looked at the
little kitten and said, “We’ll call you Zsa Zsa because you are one
expensive kitten!”

Zsa Zsa's Update

The morning after I got Zsa Zsa I made an appointment to get her spayed
for the following week. Then I sent out Zsa Zsa's story to the usual
list of people I email. I always include pictures. Normally I get a few
requests for more information. Once in awhile I get an immediate "I'll
adopt" email. Within an hour I received an "I'll adopt" email. This was
followed by several emails requesting more information (the best of all
worlds).

Zsa Zsa was adopted by the couple who sent the "I'll adopt" email.
Zsa Zsa was spayed on a Thursday and picked up by her new family the
next day.

The couple who adopted her called me to tell me she is quite the cuddle
bug and already the queen of her new domain.

I love happy endings!

Cleo

P.S.
I have three rescued cats who are still looking for their true and fated
homes: Sigourney, Furocious, and Crash.