More about r.p.c.a. and Facebook

Old November 14th 11, 07:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default More about r.p.c.a. and Facebook

On 11/13/2011 10:00 PM, MLB wrote:
On 11/13/2011 08:39 PM, MaryL wrote:

wrote:

I, too, am completely lost on what happened. Of course. I did have
"puter problems for a while and probably missed some things.MLB

Me too! I just hope it wasn't because of one of my obnoxious posts.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old November 14th 11, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_8_]

On 11/13/2011 4:23 PM, Bobble wrote:

That's *exactly* the problem I have with Facebook. I don't have to
want to be invited to join. It reminds me a lot of moderated
newsgroups and web forums where people can decide what you can and
cannot post. With rpca on usenet, I can easily killfile someone (and
vice versa) if I don't like the things they're posting.

Jill

- - - - - - - - -

Agreed. In addition, Facebook is notorious for sharing information.
The r.p.c.a. group seems to be an "invite only" group, but even that
would require members to use personal information to sign up.
Facebook has a history of changing their "rules" in ways that may not
be acceptable to users.

MaryL

Mary, you don't have to use real information on Facebook. Not even your
real name, age, date of birth, etc. Write whatever info you want, and
you can even open a yahoo/hotmail/etc. email account just for Facebook
and never use it once it's opened. At least 2 people on FB rpca use made
up names, and we're fine with that.

Boble

It wasn't like that in the beginning. To join Facebook you had to use a
real name, age, and not have a Hotmail or Yahoo or any other free email
account. It rejected my signup at first because I have an unusual last
name that could be misconstrued as being a joke, and I had to email the
admins so they could personally allow it.
After all these years I'm not going to to re-join just to be "anonymous".
Old November 14th 11, 01:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

On 2011-11-13 1:15 PM, Adrian wrote:
wrote:
"Robert Catt" wrote in message ...

For the reasons I've given here in a previous post, and after a brief
interchange with a certain member of this newsgroup, I've decided to
restrict my involvement with r.p.c.a. to its group at Facebook. Other people
have written to me me about this individual, and their comments about him
are part of the reason I will no longer be reading or posting to this
newsgroup. As of today I've removed it from my list.

- - - - - - - - - -

I have taken the opposite approach (but certainly not because of any of
our posters). I refuse to use Facebook, for this group or any other
group. My objection is to Facebook itself, not to individual posters.

MaryL

I really don't understand peoples hostility to Facebook when they're happy
to use usenet which is accessible by anybody. With Facebook, you can decide
who can or can't see your posts.

There seems to be something a bit odd about setting inclusion and
exclusion limits - particularly the misuse of 'friend'. And I'm used to
the public aspect of Usenet.

I do/did have a facebook account - obtained in a fake name to see photos
someone wouldn't/couldn't put in a more open domain. Facebook keeps
sending me nagging emails about coming back. That irritates me. I think
I tried to delete my account once. I should try again.

--
Cheryl
Old November 14th 11, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kraut / Larry Stark

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 14:30:53 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote:
[...]

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE

Old November 14th 11, 02:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_4_]

Cheryl wrote:

There seems to be something a bit odd about setting inclusion and
exclusion limits - particularly the misuse of 'friend'. And I'm used to
the public aspect of Usenet.

I do/did have a facebook account - obtained in a fake name to see photos
someone wouldn't/couldn't put in a more open domain. Facebook keeps
sending me nagging emails about coming back. That irritates me. I think I
tried to delete my account once. I should try again.

A good reason for signing up with false details, it is impossible to delete
an account. All you can do is make it dormant.

--
Adrian
Old November 14th 11, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

CatNipped wrote in news:9ibps1Fb73U1
@mid.individual.net:

wrote:

I, too, am completely lost on what happened. Of course. I did have
"puter problems for a while and probably missed some things.MLB

Me too! I just hope it wasn't because of one of my obnoxious posts.

Nope, it wasn't you.

Bobble
Old November 14th 11, 03:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

news wrote in :

[...]

Your account is probably still there, unless you went through the
complicated process to erase it completely.

Bobble
Old November 14th 11, 03:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Pat" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote
I really don't understand peoples hostility to Facebook when they're
happy
to use usenet which is accessible by anybody. With Facebook, you can
decide
who can or can't see your posts.
--
Adrian

That's *exactly* the problem I have with Facebook. I don't have to want
to be invited to join. It reminds me a lot of moderated newsgroups and
web forums where people can decide what you can and cannot post. With
rpca on usenet, I can easily killfile someone (and vice versa) if I don't
like the things they're posting.

Jill

It's simple to killfile on Facebook. Shoot me an email if interested in
learning how to do it.

Thanks, Pat, but I'd just rather not deal with Facebook

Jill

Old November 14th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Adrian" wrote in message
Cheryl wrote:

There seems to be something a bit odd about setting inclusion and
exclusion limits - particularly the misuse of 'friend'. And I'm used to
the public aspect of Usenet.

I do/did have a facebook account - obtained in a fake name to see photos
someone wouldn't/couldn't put in a more open domain. Facebook keeps
sending me nagging emails about coming back. That irritates me. I think I
tried to delete my account once. I should try again.

A good reason for signing up with false details, it is impossible to
delete
an account. All you can do is make it dormant.

--
Adrian

I had a Facebook account once. I deleted it. Fake identity or not, there
*is* a way to delete an account. But they make it nearly impossible to find
out how. I honestly don't recall how I stumbled across it, but I did.

Jill

Old November 14th 11, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
news[_9_]

"Bobble" wrote in message
news wrote in :

[...]

It is! I'm on FB several times a week, to keep up family, friends, bands,
etc.

FACEBOOK CAT :) Persian Cats - misc 1 July 9th 12 01:49 PM
r.p.c.a on Facebook Robert Catt Cat anecdotes 17 November 15th 11 09:31 PM
Facebook Sherry Cat anecdotes 4 January 26th 11 09:54 PM
For Those Who Are On Facebook. tanadashoes Cat anecdotes 0 May 21st 10 02:46 PM
OT Facebook Kyla =^..^=[_2_] Cat anecdotes 0 September 21st 09 11:01 PM