More dogs and cats go under the ... laser

Old January 22nd 04, 01:39 AM
me

Default More dogs and cats go under the ... laser

More dogs and cats go under the ... laser?
Operation option helps speed up recovery

By Elizabeth Putnam
Wausau Daily Herald

MARATHON - Lasers are replacing scalpels in a handful of pet hospitals in
north central Wisconsin.

Hundreds of veterinary clinics nationwide, including County Center Animal
Hospital in Marathon, Countryside Animal Hospital near Merrill and the
Medford Animal Hospital, now are using lasers, the latest in veterinary
surgery, because they cause less bleeding and minimal swelling and lead to a
quick recovery for the family pet. Laser surgery also is more precise and
reduces the risk of infection, said County Center veterinarian Thomas
Bruning.

Deena Miller, 33, of Weston decided laser surgery was the best option for
her cat, Murphy.

Miller had heard about laser surgery and its benefits, so she checked around
for prices and decided it was the best route to take when Murphy was
declawed.

"It's an option that gives you a peace of mind and a higher comfort level
for your pet," Miller said. "If you are an animal lover, I would recommend
it."
Murphy, a 3-month-old kitten, was playful and lively Thursday afternoon as
he roamed his cage at County Center.

"You'd never guess that he was just declawed," Bruning said. "It's amazing
how fast the recovery is."
The cost of laser surgery is slightly higher than standard scalpel surgery.
The price for declawing using laser surgery costs about $40 more, Bruning
said.

But it's worth it, said Brenda Arnold, a veterinary technician at County
Center, whose 4-month-old kitten, Teegan, recently was declawed.

"They act like nothing happened after the surgery," Arnold said. "Cats are
climbing their cages. It's remarkable."
The laser machine creates an invisible beam of light that vaporizes water
and other soft tissue. Because the lasers are precise, only a thin layer of
tissue is removed during surgery.

Laser surgery is ideal for dogs, cats, birds, reptiles, horses and other
animals. It can be used for internal surgery, oral, ear, nose and throat
surgery and for dermatology procedures.

County Center has offered laser surgery for about two years. Bruning said he
can't imagine using a scalpel anymore.

"Eventually, it will become the standard of practice," he said.

For Murphy, who was expected to return home Friday, the experience was
tolerable.

"I'm sure he's happy to come home," Miller said.

Old January 22nd 04, 01:52 AM
Christina

Wrong newsgroup.....

--
http://www.geocities.com/chrissy_1228/ourkittycats.html

Old January 22nd 04, 01:34 PM
dejablues

We were offered the option of laser surgery when our dog was neutered, at a
cost of $90.00 more than the regular surgery. We did not get the laser
surgery.