Purrs much needed

Old March 12th 04, 02:53 AM
GraceCat

Default Purrs much needed

Thankfully our health is fine here but... We ran into a slight (BIG)
construction problem. One of our walls wobbles. It's not a support wall,
in fact they pulled it out to rebuild again because the first time they
threw it up, it was only to build one part. Sorta like, they had to
perform step one to complete step two, but step two needed to be done
before step one can be done. Hence step one needed to be temporary
before they can return to it and make it permanent.

Anyway, it's a 15 foot (high) wall that doesn't have *any* load bearings
whatsoever but well.. it wobbles when you close the door.

*pulls hair out*

Suffice to say I'm extremely nervous right now because they need to do
some adjustment. Dad and Jody swear it's only minor and it really is ok.
But it does look bad when the wall wobbles even in the slightest. Even
if they're telling me you can yank the whole doggone wall out and the
rest of the house is uneffected... Can I stress that I don't want to see
my house wobbling???

*whimpers*
Grace

Old March 12th 04, 03:40 AM
MaryL

"GraceCat" wrote in message
[...]

Grace,

I suggested earlier that you post a message to alt.home.repair. Did you
ever take a look at that newsgroup? They have a variety of people there
with a *lot* of knowledge in various areas of construction, and you could
probably get more specific information from that type of NG. A wobbling
wall would have me in a panic, and I hope you are also taking steps *not* to
pay until the job is done right.

MaryL

Old March 12th 04, 03:43 AM
MaryL

"GraceCat" wrote in message
Thankfully our health is fine here but... We ran into a slight (BIG)
construction problem. One of our walls wobbles.

Grace

In addition to what I said in the message I posted a few minutes ago: In my
opinion, you also need some practical (and expert) on-the-spot advice. If
it were me, I think I would consult both an attorney and a reputable home
inspector to make sure you don't get left with some major problems after
this job is done.

MaryL

Old March 12th 04, 03:46 AM
Yowie

"GraceCat" wrote in message
[...]

Purrs and hugs.

You are reminding me why Joel and I swore black and blue that we'd never
build a house again. You don't want to see it while its being made because
you see all the flaws, shortcuts and dodgy handiwork. But if buy a pre-made
one, then you see the end product only and can make up your mind on what th
whole thing, take it or leave it.

I don't know if it will reassure you, but if its not a load-bearing wall,
then its not really a big deal. It can be replaced or stabilised later
without affecting the stability of the rest of the structures. I know its
frustrating for you, I know, honest, but as long as youcan trust your
builders (and Jody) to see to it that the wall doesn't wobble by the time
you make the fnal payment, then you are just worrying for nothing. Yes, I
also know you can't help but wory, but sweetie, now you know that that wall
wobbles, you can make *damn sure* it doesn't before you hand over the last
payment. In fact, you can inspect all the walls for wobble before the last
payment, now that you know about the potential.

Many many purrs, its a very stressful time.

Yowie

Old March 12th 04, 04:20 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:53:21 -0600, "GraceCat"
wrote:

[...]

Building our own house can be VERY stressful.

I don't have any personal expertise as a builder, but grew up with a
lot of carpenters - Grandpas on boths sides, uncles, and were, or
still are, carpenters. So I grew up listening to their discussions
enough to know that things like you describe aren't that rare.

So, since you don't say if it's a problem that the builders caught, or
something that they were ignoring and/or trying to hide, I don't know
if you should worry or not.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old March 12th 04, 05:36 AM
GraceCat

"GraceCat" wrote in message
Thankfully our health is fine here but... We ran into a slight (BIG)
construction problem. One of our walls wobbles.

Grace

In addition to what I said in the message I posted a few minutes ago:

In my
opinion, you also need some practical (and expert) on-the-spot advice.

If
it were me, I think I would consult both an attorney and a reputable

home
inspector to make sure you don't get left with some major problems

after
this job is done.

MaryL

Ack, I missed the alt.home.repair message. And in truth, I'll take a
look at them but I barely have enough time for this newsgroup .

It's not that big of a deal really. It's a great structurally sound home
in all honesty and as I said, this wall is a non-load bearing wall and
all that it's going to take is a step back and return to reconstruct it,
or add extra support to it to keep the wobbles out. At worst, we'll have
to eat the cost of some special orders ($5k).

I'm still a bit tweaked and a little worried but since the wall isn't
*completely* finished, it's premature to fall into a total panic.
Apparently, after it was explained to me, I grasp the problem better.
It's a "hmmm, that's not going to quite work, we need to add such and
such before the sheetrock goes up".

And if I keep repeating that, I may believe it

I post my home stuff here because it is a group of my friends and it's
easier to spill the woes than it would be to a group of strangers. If
that makes sense instead of going to a newsgroup that talks about this
sort of thing .

Grace

Old March 12th 04, 05:41 AM
GraceCat

"Yowie" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, I trust them. And I trust our builders 100%. In fact, I tried to
call the builder and ask if Jody's telling me the truth if it's not load
bearing, it'll be ok. Yeah, I'll take his word over that of my husband's
but hey!! It's his job .

I'll take some photos but the problem was that this wall is fifteen feet
high. (so I've been told) And if they use "anchor iron" in four
different places before the sheetrock and bolt a mantle/support beam
(which looks natural because we have a hardwood cathedral ceiling) then
it doesn't bow out just a little bit.

And if that doesn't help, we tear the wall down again, add extra stud
support, toss the insulation back up and do the iron thingie.

Grace
still upset, but soothed

Old March 12th 04, 05:44 AM
GraceCat

"Yowie" wrote in message
news:c2r8bi$20mvre$4@ID- Many many purrs, its a very stressful time.

Yowie

Oh.. and another thing. Even if we handed them the last payment, they
will come back again and again until the job is done or we're satisfied.
Half of these people are extended family and the other half are in Dad's
Sunday School class. The Jenkins family has branched out into all fields
of building from houses, to cabinet shops, to heating/air cond to
electrical work. They're *the* family to use on any and all construction
here. It's at least a six month wait before they even come out to
inspect the house plans so their reputation is excedingly excellent.

So getting it right is the least of my worries. It's just.. it might be
a couple weeks pushed back again...

Grace

Old March 12th 04, 05:48 AM
GraceCat

"Steve Touchstone" wrote So, since you
don't say if it's a problem that the builders caught, or
something that they were ignoring and/or trying to hide, I don't know
if you should worry or not.
--
Steve Touchstone,

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:

They just haven't caught it yet. The contractor hasn't done his final
walkthrough and the foreman is a perfectionist. I have no doubt it'll be
fixed to our satisfaction (everybody's). I've calmed down, the purrs and
prayers helped. It is and was just a bit upsetting to walk in and see a
wall wobble.

And Dad is knowledgable in this sort of thing too and he reasoned that
the structure and construction was sound, it was due to the height, it
would bow out slightly. So we need a beam going crosswise to pull that
slight bend when the door would shut. It sounds scary, and believe me,
seeing it was but it wasn't exactly unforeseen, hence the reason they
looked for it in the first place.

Grace
repeating the logical explanation over and over and over

Old March 12th 04, 06:00 AM
MaryL

"GraceCat" wrote in message

Ack, I missed the alt.home.repair message. And in truth, I'll take a
look at them but I barely have enough time for this newsgroup .

I post my home stuff here because it is a group of my friends and it's
easier to spill the woes than it would be to a group of strangers. If
that makes sense instead of going to a newsgroup that talks about this
sort of thing .

Grace

It makes perfect sense to post here for moral support. However, I thought
it would be a good idea to *also* post to the other group because they might
have some sounds ideas about what is causing your structural problems -- and
whether it is likely to cause further problems in the future or if it is
something that can be corrected at reasonable cost and effort.

Whatever you do, good luck. I hope everything works out well for you. I
would like to add a sunroom onto the back of my house in the next year or
so, and I hope I don't run into any "little inconveniences" along the way
(which often does happen, I know).

MaryL

Major purrs needed Dan Mahoney Cat anecdotes 33 January 25th 04 08:06 PM
Purrs Needed Gizela Cat anecdotes 12 November 8th 03 03:51 PM
Dave G in USA - purrs needed. Yowie Cat anecdotes 19 November 2nd 03 11:33 PM
Emergency purrs urgently needed Daniel Mahoney Cat anecdotes 33 November 1st 03 01:10 AM
Double Purrs Needed Kate Cat anecdotes 16 October 19th 03 05:18 PM